Author Topic: Where is Nikon heading?  (Read 51479 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Where is Nikon heading?
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2017, 16:07:13 »
Gosh. Nikon makes a "NEW" D3xxx D5xxx and D7xxx every other week. I came by a shop windows and saw the D5600 for sale. I did not even know it was announced!!

They do not earn money nor prestige with these volume cameras. The 8xx series is a cash cow with serious money earned per sale. Same with the D500. Such a great camera. Love her every day

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. These "volume cameras" bring in a lot of money simply because Nikon needn't invest much either in their development or the fabrication (typically mass-produced in automated factories run by robots and I wouldn't be surprised if the "new" designs were made by automated pare-down scripts either ...)

You are probably right about the "prestige" aspect, though, but hard-earned money beats that every time. Plus many of these so-called low-end models actually are decent performers. I'm using several models daily so should know.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2017, 16:13:25 »
The most recent news seems like everything is on hold pending formation of a new corporate strategy.  As for the D810, someone explain why it is out of production.

bjornthun

« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2017, 16:42:34 »
Fujifilm survived the transition from film to digital, shown in this documentary,  http://www.fujirumors.com/roboshoot-plus-released-fuji-hssttl-support-fujifilm-survived-digital-age-gfx-x100f-first-looks/.

This was painful for Fujifilm, but they didn't join the ranks of Kodak and Nokia. Maybe Nikon will need more diversification in addition to making cameras and semiconuctor equipment. Just saying that Nikon should quit low end DX DSLRs or make mirrorless cameras is too easy, as they may have to do much more. I think however that Nikon's camera business needs both DSLRs and mirrorless, if it is to present a sensible income statement going forward. However, that's just the camera business. If the dedicated camera business (and market) shrinks radically, Nikon will need diversification to sustain the company.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2017, 17:03:03 »
The Google translation is not too wrong.

I think the cryptic impression of the article is because the "mirrorless" is not defined clearly.  To read between the lines, I think the executive officer meant mirrorless cameras of larger size, not Nikon 1.

Considering that even Canon has been struggling with the mirrorless line by having entered into the market too late, Nikon should need harder effort.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

bjornthun

« Reply #244 on: February 25, 2017, 17:30:24 »
Was the Japanese text any clearer on the timeframe for introduction of "large sensor" mirrorless cameras by Nikon?

John Koerner

« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2017, 17:41:34 »
Was the Japanese text any clearer on the timeframe for introduction of "large sensor" mirrorless cameras by Nikon?

Nikon would hit it out of the park if they would make a medium-format mirrorless, with good ergonomics, that could make use of all the F-mount lenses :D

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2017, 17:45:06 »

No, not at all.  Actually the executive didn't give us any concrete info in his entire answers.  He just say "mirrorless".  He didn't mention whether it is CX, DX or FX.

But I think it is obvious that Nikon 1 wouldn't (or couldn't) be the key product line to save Nikon, although I still believe that this platform itself is very promising still/video hybrid camera.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2017, 17:47:14 »
Agree with the last statement. Thus it is a pity that Nikon decided to cripple so many features on their CX range.

bjornthun

« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2017, 17:58:11 »
No, not at all.  Actually the executive didn't give us any concrete info in his entire answers.  He just say "mirrorless".  He didn't mention whether it is CX, DX or FX.

But I think it is obvious that Nikon 1 wouldn't (or couldn't) be the key product line to save Nikon, although I still believe that this platform itself is very promising still/video hybrid camera.
Thanks, I agree, the Nikon 1 could have been much more.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2017, 18:07:16 »
"Mirrorless" ?; my smartphone is a "mirrorless"; so one could only imagine that it's only meant to the larger (FX/DX) side. Personally, for having tested for an extended period Leica SL; and for a shorter period of time one of the Sony Alpha's; I really dont see any element which could me push to a mirrorless high-end camera (yes, I know the arguments in favour of..).  I'm surprised that so many people believe that the critical path to further success and profit is the "mirrorless" way.  Yes, they should be much cheaper to produce.

Another remark: how is the profit stream distributed over the model range of cameras (from cheap to expensive) ?; and/or to what extent are the cheaper cameras subsidising the higher end cameras?  And if the latter proves to be true, this could be a major problem for survival.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

John Koerner

« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2017, 18:14:25 »
"Mirrorless" ?; my smartphone is a "mirrorless"; so one could only imagine that it's only meant to the larger (FX/DX) side. Personally, for having tested for an extended period Leica SL; and for a shorter period of time one of the Sony Alpha's; I really dont see any element which could me push to a mirrorless high-end camera (yes, I know the arguments in favour of..).  I'm surprised that so many people believe that the critical path to further success and profit is the "mirrorless" way.  Yes, they should be much cheaper to produce.

Another remark: how is the profit stream distributed over the model range of cameras (from cheap to expensive) ?; and/or to what extent are the cheaper cameras subsidising the higher end cameras?  And if the latter proves to be true, this could be a major problem for survival.

My guess, based on the surgical removal of "cheap" cameras from Nikon's future, is that the money is in their better cameras.

Just think about it, on photography forums, worldwide, you seldom see ANYone using the cheap cameras ... at the lowest they're using the D7100 and above [mostly D2/300, D71/7200, D500, D7/750, D8/810(E), D3(s/x)/4(s)/5].

I can't even think of a single post made, anywhere, by any Nikon user deploying a lower-end camera than a D7100/D300 to share their imagery.

In fine, the "consumer base" who would target low-end camera-toys are only using FB (texting/sharing with friends) ... they don't really consider themselves "photographers" ... they don't want to trouble themselves with "processing" images ... they just want to take some pictures (to be shared in real-time) ... and as such they are simply using their cell phones, which already come equipped with nice low-end/mid-level cameras, which serve their purpose perfectly.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #251 on: February 25, 2017, 18:17:44 »
Christian, I would have to admit that smartphones have grown to a strong competitor to Nikon 1 (or any cameras with the sensors 1" or smaller).  That's why I feel the need of improving and strengthening the Nikon 1 series.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #252 on: February 25, 2017, 18:26:52 »
So far as the DSLR is concerned, the next key product would be the followers of Nikon D610 and Canon 6D: the entry-level full frame models.  The Chinese market is huge, and the large full-frame DSLRs are still considered as status symbols.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2017, 18:45:58 »
Thanks Akira.  I'm a better stronger in your second statement (i.e. D610 etc); than in the first one.😊
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2017, 18:50:13 »
"Mirrorless" ?; my smartphone is a "mirrorless"; so one could only imagine that it's only meant to the larger (FX/DX) side.   I'm surprised that so many people believe that the critical path to further success and profit is the "mirrorless" way.  Yes, they should be much cheaper to produce.

I think the expectation is that electronic viewfinders will continue to improve. I fully expect that as there is a large amount of development effort being applied to wearable and high-res head mounted displays, as well as applications in communications devices.

Nikon doesn't really participate in that basic display technology advancement, but they can certainly apply it as it becomes available.

I think this is the gist of the comment about Nikon waiting a bit and choosing the right time to step in with a mirror less camera.

We all know the advantages - lighter, fewer moving parts, 'what you see is what you get", enlargement on demand, ability to boost lightness in dark situations, shorter lens to film distance (a positive in some cases), eye tracking and focus,  ...

It seems inevitable to me that the DSLR goes the way of the other reflex cameras.