Author Topic: Where is Nikon heading?  (Read 52430 times)

stenrasmussen

Re: Where is Nikon heading?
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2017, 08:11:31 »

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2017, 12:45:49 »
Google translation!
Please feel free to correct where appropriate, my Japanese is a little rusty  :o

Quote:
Mirror-less expansion and reconsideration at an early stage
  For the camera business undergoing structural reforms, Nikon showed a policy of "bringing in multiple mirror-less cameras at an early stage".  Senior Managing Executive Officer, Chairman and CEO of Camera Business, responded to the interview.  We respond to the needs of shooting scenes and functions, and devise measures to take an aggressive approach to rebuild the camera.  Meanwhile, the production system said "There is no idea of ​​closing domestic and overseas major plants at the present time" (Managing Executive Officer).

The company decided to discontinue release of the high-end compact camera "DL series", and product development was drawing attention.  Although we have not disclosed the completion time of the mirror-less lineup, it seems that a couple of years after the mirror less market exceeds the SLR market will be a guide.

In the future, we plan to concentrate management resources on medium- and high-end SLR cameras and lenses and mirror-less cameras that can make the most of their strengths.  However, Mirror-less struggled with fewer models and said, "We will set aside for other companies, we will get Nikon-like things" (same).  Also review the commercialization process such as condition setting from the user's point of view, eliminating the deviation from user needs.  Meanwhile, "I want to do the royal road of the high-class compact in the future, but since I just decided to cancel the DL series, I will judge the next development carefully" (same).

The production structure enhances cost competitiveness through in-house production of outsourcing processes and efficiency of production.
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2017, 13:05:53 »
This is so cryptic, google translate?

Maybe someone with native Japanese skills will be able to translate properly.

It is not clear from the translation what is really meant regarding several points.

For example, they are rebuilding the mirrorless camera but completion of the lineup is expected only when mirrorless market exceeds SLR? That is likely to take quite a long time to happen. Completion could mean "launch of product line" or it could mean "finish a complete mirrorless lens lineup" or just about anything...

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2017, 13:22:15 »
Please re-read the first two lines ,,,  :D
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2017, 13:28:36 »
I really do not understand what takes Nikon so long to bring out the 820.

It seems easy to me to put a well proven Sony offering like the alpha 99 mark two chip into a D500 housing with Exspeed 5 and Extra AF Chip. With a 4000 Euro price tag this will be a best seller and not cut into the D5 sales too much.

They can even leave the D810 in the market at a 2500 Euro price point. This is a no brainer!

Gosh. Nikon makes a "NEW" D3xxx D5xxx and D7xxx every other week. I came by a shop windows and saw the D5600 for sale. I did not even know it was announced!!

They do not earn money nor prestige with these volume cameras. The 8xx series is a cash cow with serious money earned per sale. Same with the D500. Such a grwat camera. Love her every day
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #230 on: February 25, 2017, 13:39:48 »
It would be nice if Akira or somebody else could provide a better translation than Google's.
Simone Tomasi

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2017, 13:52:53 »
What I read in between the lines is that Nikon will enter the medium and high end mirrorless market when mirrorless technology is on par with medium / high end DSLR cameras, in the meantime they leave the maturing part to other companies.

Please be aware that those companies which currently are doing well in mirrorless don't have a solid (semi) pro DSLR lineup like Nikon, they had to go a different route to gain market share as competing with the Canon and Nikon DLSR offering was futile.

When I look at Sony based on personal experience the A7RII is miles better than the original A7R (which I also used to own) but its still not close to the D810 in the AF and speed department, the sensor is pretty much on par though. This year Sony is expected to introduce the MKIII lineup of the a7 series together with a high speed a9 aimed at the sports market, I expect this third generation of full frame mirrorless cameras will be on par with their respective DSLR counterparts.

Lens wise the full frame mirrorless platform is also getting mature with many native offerings from Zeiss, Voigtlander, Samyang, etc.

With al that in mind it seems like the time is near for Nikon to enter the FX mirrorless market, the high end technology is around the corner and the plethora of Sony FE lenses from third parties should be available in a Nikon mount shortly after its introduction providing consumers plenty of lens choice without forcing Nikon to do it all on its own (like Sony had to do 3 years ago). 
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #232 on: February 25, 2017, 14:02:31 »
That is also the way I understand the translation  ;)
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #233 on: February 25, 2017, 14:03:04 »
Why should they, the D810 is still the best high res FX DSLR in the market...
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2017, 14:13:51 »
I'm wondering what happened to the Dx series, where the sales really that low, as to not have D4x and D5x,,,

I agree, no need for a D810 sensor update, it's spectacular as is.
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #235 on: February 25, 2017, 14:35:20 »
Why should they, the D810 is still the best high res FX DSLR in the market...

Autofocus wise it is not the best. Canon had wide spread of cross type points since 2012. The camera would really benefit from Multi-CAM 20k as the highest resolution Nikon it has the most to benefit from it IMO.

John Koerner

« Reply #236 on: February 25, 2017, 15:36:54 »

2.5 years is not a long time to wait for an upgrade (compared to Canon's 5 years for the 7D II).

Especially considering the D810 is still competitive with the best cameras of today (whereas the 7D was a useless relic, compared to what was available, by the time the upgrade came).

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2017, 15:44:16 »
too late into the mirrorless party. they should make it right.

a Contax/S-mount with contacts and no 50mm internal helicoid. if not, an F-mount but with available S-mount adapters. :o :o :o

John Koerner

« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2017, 15:56:40 »
Sounds like they will change:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170224-00010008-newswitch-ind

Quote from the article:

• "In the future, we plan to concentrate management resources on medium- and high-end SLR cameras and lenses and mirrorless cameras that can make the most of their strengths."

Pretty much exactly as I felt they should do: the low-end "entry level" market is a waste of time at this point.

It seems Nikon is beginning to understand that the very best mid- and high-level DSLRs (and a move in the direction toward mirrorless),  are the only viable markets today.

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #239 on: February 25, 2017, 16:05:38 »
Competitors are serious about keeping their grasp on the customers they have gained, Major name brands have seen their large proportion of global sales diminish. Whilst lesser brands are a riding on the crest of a growing market position.
This loss of comfort zone to the Power Brands, will leave a need to restructure.
A recent history of a negative response to Severe Quality Control issues will also push customers into researching other brands.
The idea of paying a £ 1000 on a lens, and then learning that your one may be a duffer, due to poor QC, makes me not want to spend in that camp.
I am beginning to feel the other brands are getting closer to a Parity in performance and product reliability at a fairer price.
The Big Name Brands have got a fight on their hands, forums and social media sites will crucify them for their mistakes in design, manufacture, pricing and after sales care towards a customer. 
With the need to streamline the overheads, it is difficult to predict where the changes will come from. 
John Gallagher