Author Topic: Where is Nikon heading?  (Read 50825 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Where is Nikon heading?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 03:23:29 »
Handling is always in the eye of the beholder as it were...

The problem is that Nikon is now in the eye of the shareholder as it were...   :o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 03:29:54 »
where is Nikon heading? The same way that Leica went if they won't do something "exciting" :o :o :o

stenrasmussen

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 07:30:41 »
Leica has looked into a hybrid finder and their conclution is it will not work to any satisfaction, it will be a big compromise for both the optical- as well as the electronic viewfinder.

I believe they are right,,, IMHO they have the best EVF in the SL and the best OVF in the M for their purpose.

I'm sure Nikon has come to the same conclusion for the current state of technology.

PS thanks for accepting my moderation-censorship.

Well, Fuji made it work. Leica makes great lenses but as far as their digital cameras they always seem to be 1-2 generations behind; poor resolution screens, noisier sensors, etc. They rely on the mechanical bits but "struggle" with the electronics. I am absolutely convinced that Nikon could make a HVF (hybrid view finder) if they wanted. They are sadly stuck in the old mud.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 09:37:32 »
I feel a very negative attitude,,, and somehow a urge to put companies down, what a waste of energy!
Erik Lund

bjornthun

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:58 »
I think it's prudent to voice a concern over Nikon's current path. They are losing market share in a declining market, which can't be good.

Thom Hogan relates Nikon's issues to their management and their policies.

Canon is the very clear leader, and according to mr. Hogan "industry standard".  :o

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 11:44:45 »
What do you think will happen by raising concern?
Erik Lund

bjornthun

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 11:51:54 »
What do you think will happen by raising concern?
A more positive development for Nikon, and maybe even the camera market.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 12:12:33 »
The camera market, in all segments,  is in a slow decline and nothing appears to be able to reverse that trend. The smartphones probably will take over much of today's user base.

Mike G

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 12:38:47 »
Reading this topic has reminded me of one of the reasons for my move to the Fuji camp. I also didn't like the road that Nikon was taking and that what seemed to me that their lenses were getting to be on the bloated and so heavy, whereas the cheaper stuff was a bit to plastic fantastic for my liking! What a shame!!!

And I still don't understand the supposed benefited of short eye reliefs.

bjornthun

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 13:04:18 »
Reading this topic has reminded me of one of the reasons for my move to the Fuji camp. I also didn't like the road that Nikon was taking and that what seemed to me that their lenses were getting to be on the bloated and so heavy, whereas the cheaper stuff was a bit to plastic fantastic for my liking! What a shame!!!

And I still don't understand the supposed benefited of short eye reliefs.
and low magnification. Nikon D800 was 0.71x magnification in the viewfinder, and that was all you got for manual focusing. The now 45 year old Olympus OM-1 offered 0.9x magnification albeit with a short eye relief. Nikon makes short eye reliefs, but you get the same low 0.71x magnification. Cost cutting? ???

Well, all that's history for me, now that I can zoom in to 10x magnification with the EVF in my full frame Sonys, one of which was announced more than three years ago... LOL  8)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 13:11:22 »
I thought Nikon did well in the DSLR market (not numbers but products).
The D5, D500 are top of the bill. D810, D750 although at the end of life are still top.
We've got outstanding lenses with the 200-500, 19PC, 105E, 24-74E, 70-200E, 16-80E and earlier with 300PF and superteles.
Main problem for me is QC and price (except 200-500).
Chris Dees

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 13:14:11 »
Of the various EVF-equipped cameras I've used over the years, the Panasonic GH-2 had the best and most intuitive handling of finder magnification. I got rid of the Sony A7 rapidly as its general handling was awful and the finder extremely tiring to my eyes. Perhaps if humans instead of robots should design their cameras, the handling of this brand can improve? A pity as their basic concept showed promise.

The newest Fujis might be on to a better track, but their EVFs still give me a headache.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 13:24:58 »
Black out times with the electronic viewfinders are unbearable long IMHO completely useless and slow come to mind describing them.

I just had my Leica M9 upgraded to M9-P, new sensor, display top bottom and rear replaced. that's a camera launched in 2009, they still offer full support/repairs, they replace the sensors free of charge due to some problems in the cover-glass that they have now solved, and also supply constant firmware updates,,, all this talk about obsolete cameras makes me laugh, the D810 being at the end of it life,,, ridicules. I have no need for replacing either of them.
Erik Lund

stenrasmussen

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 13:30:00 »
I feel a very negative attitude,,, and somehow a urge to put companies down, what a waste of energy!

Not negative at all Erik. What I am aiming at is the "the world is too fast for us and it is nothing we can do to keep up".
Look at Nikon's latest D3400...what on earth is that for...SnapBridge? First make the app work, THEN apply it.
The Df...although a great camera, what's the point at advertising how good it was that "real" photographic style was finally back when such an essential part as a focussing screen is fixed?
The DL line: *poof* ...nowhere to be seen...
Coolpixers: let's see...iPhone, Galaxy...
Etc., etc...
They do have the D5/500 and the D810 and they are great. The D750 is great too but with some unnecessary quirks like that noisy, clunky shutter. Can't be that difficult to construct because Canon has managed.
Fuji has wrongs, and so do the others too.

bjornthun

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 13:32:21 »
I thought Nikon did well in the DSLR market (not numbers but products).
The D5, D500 are top of the bill. D810, D750 although at the end of life are still top.
We've got outstanding lenses with the 200-500, 19PC, 105E, 24-74E, 70-200E, 16-80E and earlier with 300PF and superteles.
Main problem for me is QC and price (except 200-500).
They are losing market share, and that in a declining market, and that is a really scary position to be in. Canon rules the roost in the DSLR world now.