Author Topic: Where is Nikon heading?  (Read 52122 times)

John Koerner

Re: Where is Nikon heading?
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2017, 22:33:33 »
Interesting, Tony Northrup says almost everything just covered, in a video made today:

https://youtu.be/1uyJVCHDlzU

Long, but worth the watch.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2017, 22:58:49 »
After hearing Nykon five times in the first minute I gave up :D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2017, 22:59:07 »
I just want a camera that works.
We all do, but we are just a minority of the minority in the bigger scheme of things.

The bulk of the revenue was in compact digital cameras which now shifted to smartphones causing problems for Nikon and the like. Within the DSLR and mirrorless class only a small percentage is pro or enthusiast, the bulk is populated with non-skilled consumers whom like to take nice pics of their kids or want to take a "real" camera on their holiday trips.

Pro sport photographers and enthousiast were ambassadors for the brand to lure in the masses into buying the consumer models, commercials telling them how simple it was to make great images did the rest. With the bulk of the revenue gone prices of the pro cameras skyrocket to cover all the R&D costs by themselves, etc.

The good news is that Nikon has a rock solid lineup with the D500, D810, D5, Df, etc and keeps coming with great and interesting lenses to keep the attention of the (semi) pro crowd. Not sure though if this will be enough to keep afloat...

ps This is just my perception of things, not to be read as fact  ;)

The pic below is fact however, the actual graph is 10 times higher btw when showing the actual number of smartphone cameras sold.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2017, 23:44:51 »
I hope they will stand...

JohnMM

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2017, 00:03:50 »
... as no one gives two $#!^$ about tiny, bs DSLRs or point-and-shoots anymore.

I do. And I know some others.

Only the best camera/lens options remain appealing to legitimately-aspiring photographers, because they do what cannot be done using "more convenient" cell phones as tools.

Are you saying that there's no point in buying anything between the "best" camera/lens combination and a cell phone ?
John Maud - aka Coreopsis in another place.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2017, 00:19:52 »
Of course, not. There is a camera for all occasions and all seasons.

John Koerner

« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2017, 00:20:29 »
I do. And I know some others.

Statistics show you're in the vast, vast minority.

Are you saying that there's no point in buying anything between the "best" camera/lens combination and a cell phone ?

I am saying cameras like the D500 and D750 are between "the very best" (D5 and D810) ... and should be all the 'lower' a modern, elite camera company should worry about.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2017, 00:21:57 »
Very categorical. The real world holds more nuances.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2017, 00:45:50 »
I share the views of Jan Anne and the merit of putting it into a larger context. Let's hope for the best, and just a reminder that Nikon did a great job in the segment in which they should concentrate from now on.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

John Koerner

« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2017, 02:33:07 »
Very categorical. The real world holds more nuances.

True, but it's not Nikon's job to develop R&D on every possible camera "nuance."

Wasting time on low-end means they'll be outdated almost as soon as they get released.

By contrast, even 3 years later, the D810 is still up front with the rest of the best ... because of how good it was when initially released.

The D500 and D5 will remain peerless for another 2-3 years ... especially the D500.

That is the only kind of camera worth spending R&D on these days, IMO.

John Koerner

« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2017, 02:33:44 »
just a reminder that Nikon did a great job in the segment in which they should concentrate from now on.

Agreed.

chambeshi

« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2017, 10:48:33 »
Interesting, Tony Northrup says almost everything just covered, in a video made today:

https://youtu.be/1uyJVCHDlzU

Long, but worth the watch.

very interesting Jack. Thanks for this link

Additional to may of the suggestions in this thread, my personal take on this is the future focus for Nikon must centre on how to attract new DSLR uses who embrace the Nikon system. The swelling group of consumers are the cell phone dependents i.e children and teenagers. Many of these who've grown with cellular comms with integral multimedia capabilities in a cell phone are already budding photographers. They have spending power, can secure loans etc and desire a "serious" camera. Retro is still Cool etc for this generation.

With the legacy of the F-mount and recent top of the range DSLRs [D500, D810 and Df] and their recent best Nikkors, Nikon are in a unique situation. Poised to embrace and extend the clint base of their SLR system....

My summary of the Take-Home suggestions this video discussed :

1. Innovative Retro style camera body - building on the Df and better. The Cool camera the cell phone-dependent aspires to own

2. Sensor Stabilization. Will make VR superfluos, simplifying lens design and cost. The lens returns to its singular twinned tasks - Image quality and focusing mechanism

3. Eye Autofocus will revolutionize portrait & wildlife photography and much of action photography

4. Image Stacking that works seamlessly with AF

5. Image Averaging enablng ISo 25 etc

6. Silent Shutter

7. Top of the Range Screen quality. You See the Image You Will Get

8. Snapbridge. Fix it!! Fix it asap! So 1 Click of a button sends jpg to cell phone of one's choice. Background transfer of raw images to HDD in vicinity or solid-state drive [in one's near vicinity] receives auto backup as you shoot. And leave it to these 3rd devices to handle the core task of mass transfer to servers etc

9. Software. Redesign and fix DSLR operating system so it = iPhone quality; searchable menus should be standard feature.

10. Enable 3rd party Apps to work with Nikon OS. This will embrace and extend adoption of Nikon system

1st and Foremost, implementing the above suite of features will generate client enthusiasm. Focusing on core corporate strengths while sorting out software / user interfaces that meet the client's expectations, which are very high.

Thus, it is especially the young Nikon client who buys into the system and plans to grow their personal inventory.

Speaking for myself, ~3 decades back and earlier, Many of us on NG started exactly in this way. This unique opportunity for Nikon to embrace millennial consumer and extend the users of this age group demands mechanisms that engage and promote emerging photographers.  Discounts for the 'Under 25' is one obvious tactic. Above all mentorship is the obvious way forward. Discover, adopt and facilitate role models, which will need a re-think of who qualifies as a Nikon Ambassador.

In quite a few countries, what calls itself Nikon "Support" will have to rebuilt and retrained in its entirety.

kind regards

woody

PS Will not the established Nikon user will be utterly ecstatic to see at least the main advances summarized above!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:09 »

PS Will not the established Nikon user will be utterly ecstatic to see at least the main advances summarized above!

Exactly!

Nice post Woody and good points all.
Hugh Gunn

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2017, 11:33:45 »
That is the only kind of camera worth spending R&D on these days, IMO.

Problem is that this segment of Nikon's products probably can't support itself in isolation. Factories make optical materials in quantity and if this quantity is cut by 95%, for example, it may become prohibitatively expensive to maintain consistency of materials in smaller quantities and thus in the end it may not be possible to make a quality end user product for a competitive price without the support from the consumer products. When Nikon creates new technologies, be it for optics or camera bodies, they need to sell a large quantity of products that utilize that technology in order to be profitable.

Furthermore the high end products are difficult to sell without less expensive products in the same lineup that serve as a ladder which allows consumers to spend money in a gradual manner. I know some people who started with D70, then went with D200 or D300, and finally D8x0 or even D5. Today that might be D3x00 -> D7x00 -> D6x0 -> D500/D810 etc. People just can't cough up that kind of money to start with a D810 or D500, when they are unsure of whether they will like photography in the long term and are just starting out. Without entry level products, Nikon won't get as many new users as they used to.

In practice Nikon must maintain some kind of stepping stones for beginners in the system. Perhaps the D3x00 and D5x00 can be merged into one product. I quite frankly wish they would do away with the pentamirror viewfinder entirely. Perhaps the D7200 could be added with a tilt/swivel screen.  I think Nikon ought to make a few more intermediate/high end DX lenses and I am sure money can be made in this segment since third party manufacturers seem to have found it worthwhile.  If I'm not mistaken the D7x00 have been extremely popular and thus this is definitely a product to continue making. I don't know if it is inexpensive enough for beginners. Perhaps used market can help with that.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2017, 11:35:29 »
"3. Eye Autofocus will revolutionize portrait & wildlife photography and much of action photography"

reminds me of canon elan :o :o :o