Author Topic: BIF - settings with D4s  (Read 12689 times)

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: BIF - settings with D4s
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2017, 19:18:31 »
Hi Frode
Have you had a chance to put any of the suggestions to a test ?
Have you seen any  improvement ?

Hi John!

No, I haven't yet, but I'll let you "hear" how it goes as soon as I've tried'em out.

Must spend some time with the wife and kids also 😄.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: BIF - settings with D4s
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2017, 09:04:03 »
Yesterday I got a loaner (AF- S 400 2.8 ED IF II) from my local store (just received it), in order to make a comparison (non- scientific, autofocus/sharpness) between my own VR- version and II- version.

One of my kids running forward, straight towards me. Same distance and about the same speed.

Tried dynamic 9 and 21 focus points with focus tracking with lock- on set to either normal or off.

II- version:
Dynamic 9, focus lock- on normal: 10 out of 18 sharp.
Dynamic 21, focus lock- on normal: 7 out of 17 sharp.
Dynamic 9, focus lock- on off: 11 out of 15 sharp.
Forgot to try 21 and off.

VR- version:
Dynamic 9, focus lock- on off: 14 out og 15 sharp.
Dynamic 21, focus lock- on off: 11 out of 12 sharp.
Dynamic 9, focus lock- on normal: 13 out of 16 sharp.
Dynamic 21, focus lock- on normal: 8 out of 12 sharp.

On a static target they were about equally sharp, both impressive.

Thoug: the II- version lacked the stick in filter (the holder was in place, not the filter itself), which I understand is supposed to be there. This might have influenced the performance of the lens?

Anyway, another lesson learned: my lens is sharp as it should be and its AF- performance is just fine. Focus lock- on set to Off....oh yes  :D

I`ve got to get my act together when it comes to long- lens technique.....especially my panning technique which obviously is not good enough, yet.

Thanks for all your help  :).

PS! I`m heading out to the hide on friday, and if I`m lucky the raptors will show up and I might post a picture or two.