Author Topic: Old lens surprise  (Read 3578 times)

Peter_S

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Old lens surprise
« on: January 19, 2017, 16:27:04 »
After switching to fullframe I acquired also some new 'old' lenses.
Beside some known good lenses as the 20-35/2.8 AFD and 35-70/2.8 AFD I also got some AI ans AIS glas.

Yesterday I disassembled, cleaned and put new grease to a 35-70/3.5 AI.
After finishing the work I compared it to the 35-70/2.8 and the 50/1.8 AI.
WHAT A SURPRISE, this old lens is really tack sharp and at least as good as the 2.8 AFD LENS at 36MP!
After cleaning and putting new grease to the helicoids using this lens is a joy.

Annother positive surprises has been the 35/2 AI. In the center it's as good as the 28/1.8 AFS and a bit stopped down also borders are all right. I think it's better than my 35/2 AFD. And the creamy look.....
Focusing this lens after  cleaning is wonderful.

Another gem is the 20/4 ai, Rowell Galens favorite wide angle. For landscapes at f8-f11 it's excellent, even against the light. And it's so small and doesn't bother me even during hiking.

In the tele range I think the 105/2.5 AI and the 135/2.8 QC are the best lenses one can get.
They easily hold up against a 85/1.4 AFD in every aspect. Even the series e 75-150/3.5 is damned good.

Of course all lenses chipped and calibrated with the f10 f20 command for perfect focus with the D800.

And the best, I got these lenses for nearly nothing on ebay 😅 For the 35-70AI I payed 32 Euros😂

Did you ever have such surprises with this good old glas?
Looking foeward to hear from your experiences and maybe suggestions what to get next.
regards
Peter

chambeshi

Re: Old lens surprise
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 16:41:41 »
Dear Peter
Very interesting and Great news, especially on the D800 sensor :-) The are many posts on these classics MF Nikkors, including best for the Nikon Df

I concur on the 105 AI, and I have the 20 f4 AI and 105 f2.5 AI, although has the 7 blade aperture (not 9). But not chipped!

here's one of the main threads on the 20 f4. Classic of classic Nikkors... And I must pull together my snippets gathered on Galen Rowell, who also features on NG
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1644.msg47740.html#msg47740

and here's a thread on 20 f3.5 AI http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1105.0.html

kind regards Woody

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 16:56:48 »
The 35-70 mm f/3.5 Zoom-Nikkor (72 mm filter thread) is one of those older lenses now rapidly  fading from general memory and recognition. However, it really is a wonderful sharp optic with almost no geometric distortion. The only drawbacks are its size and heft (for those of us who can no longer lift more than the smallest camera), the longish 1 m near limit,  and being quite susceptible to flare.

This was later replaced by another 35-70/3.5, now with 62 mm filter thread and a 'macro' feature. Unfortunately, although its propensity for flare is reduced, so also is its optical performance compared to the older version.

Both lenses can do service for IR photography.

Peter_S

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 17:11:36 »
Rhanks for your replies.
Bjorn I read all your reviews and your page is linked to all my devices. Thanks for this great valuable work you did.
Reading all this was the reason why I wanted getting the 72mm 35-70/3.5.
Right now I didn't test the bokeh of this lens, probably the 35-70/2.8 will be better.
But ok, if I'm shooting portraits I use the 85/1.4 AF, 105/2.5 AI, 135/2.8 QC or the 180/2.8 AF. They are all damned good.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 17:48:59 »
There are many good 'old'  lenses. In the age-category of the years end 60- early 70:   I like the 20/3.5 UD on the D800E for instance.  And the 50/1.4 SC, 105/2.5 P-Auto and 200/4 QC.

Also the 28/2 K and the 85/1.8 K perform very well.

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 19:34:10 »
Rhanks for your replies.
Bjorn I read all your reviews and your page is linked to all my devices. Thanks for this great valuable work you did.
Reading all this was the reason why I wanted getting the 72mm 35-70/3.5.
Right now I didn't test the bokeh of this lens, probably the 35-70/2.8 will be better.
But ok, if I'm shooting portraits I use the 85/1.4 AF, 105/2.5 AI, 135/2.8 QC or the 180/2.8 AF. They are all damned good.
I recently bought a 135 QC with factory Ai ring and am happy with the IQ from this lens.
Haven't done extensive shooting with it to find it's Pros and Cons or limitations but it is a solid piece of Japanese craftsmanship of that era.
Just to note I started a topic with mirror to rear of lens contact on my D700 with an older Nikkor-O 35mm f2, something one needs to watch for.
Don't know if this is just a D700 issue or other model Nikon DSLR's, just pointing out be aware.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 05:49:12 »
I've got a bunch of old Nikon glass, and some of it is no surprise.  The 105/2.5 and the old 85/1.8 are good, but I expected them to be.  The 50/2AI is as good as ever.  But a couple of things have been, and one of my most recent Nikkors was the 1962 or so version of the 200/F4Q.  This is a somewhat clumsy looking lens, with a close focus distance of ten feet,  and this particular example, bought for $5.00, had a missing hood detent, a loose barrel, stiff focusing, and commensurately rough appearance.  The old type with screw-on flange that Nikon counts as non convertible to AI had been hacked into AI compliance with some tool that most would not keep in the same room as a lens.  But the glass was OK.  The surprise, of course, is that the thing is magically good.  It's sharp, the out of focus rendition is juicy,  the colors lush, it has no objection to long stacks of extension tubes, and it's fairly easy to focus even on a D3200's cheesy little viewfinder.  I would never have thought of this as a great bug chasing lens, but it is.

Another one, which I've had for a long time, was the 28/3.5.  This is also the very old sort with a non-removable rear flange, and not converted to AI.  But it works fine on the D3200.    On a full frame film camera, this was a ho hum lens of middling quality that I rarely bothered to use.  But it's a late bloomer.  On DX digital, it lights up.  I haven't bothered to hack this one up to fit on the D7100, because I suspect that when the D3200 gets IR converted, as I intend soon, it will find a new life.  I'm sure that will come as no surprise to Bjorn, who has reported on it.  I had forgotten it on some back shelf until his account reminded me to try it. 

Moritat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 15:05:47 »
I had the same pleasant reaction with the 35mm f2 AI. I'm surprised at it's sharpness wide open. The price was good as well, $5 at a garage sale.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 19:09:07 »
It's sharp, the out of focus rendition is juicy,  the colors lush, it has no objection to long stacks of extension tubes, and it's fairly easy to focus even on a D3200's cheesy little viewfinder.
I'm not too surprised it does well on extension tubes, when the lens barrel was upgraded with only slightly tweaked optics, the close focus limit reduced from 3m to 2m, which shows the focus range was probably too restricted to start with.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 19:43:20 »
The old type with screw-on flange that Nikon counts as non convertible to AI had been hacked into AI compliance with some tool that most would not keep in the same room as a lens.  But the glass was OK.  The surprise, of course, is that the thing is magically good.  It's sharp, the out of focus rendition is juicy,  the colors lush, it has no objection to long stacks of extension tubes, and it's fairly easy to focus even on a D3200's cheesy little viewfinder.  I would never have thought of this as a great bug chasing lens, but it is.

I love the passage!!! Thank you for the write up!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/