Author Topic: Fuji "attacking" again  (Read 15720 times)

Mike G

Re: Fuji "attacking" again
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 11:46:45 »
I get a sense of some angst by Sten regarding a move to a Fuji system, I went through the same sort of umming and arring about a move, but now I wonder why I waited, so as Sten has had some previous experience he at least knows what he will be getting! I'm sure he won't be disappointed!

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 12:57:49 »

For the Price of a D5 I can get a Medium Format Fuji? C'mon, girls & boys. This sounds is a no brainer to me!

I like Fuji, and the small medium format is a very exciting proposition, but I would say it is not that clearly a no brainer.
I am ready to bet that the D5 will shred the GFX when it comes to performance, think sports and wildlife.

Having said that, since I don't do that kind of photography, if I had that kind of money burning a hole in my pocket, I would probably get the GFX.
Simone Tomasi

stenrasmussen

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 12:58:07 »
I get a sense of some angst by Sten regarding a move to a Fuji system, I went through the same sort of umming and arring about a move, but now I wonder why I waited, so as Sten has had some previous experience he at least knows what he will be getting! I'm sure he won't be disappointed!

Thanks for the reassuring moment you just gave me Mike!
My biggest conundrum is what lenses to start with...quite a pleasant problem as Fujinons are all great.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 13:06:28 »
The question is: What is good enough IQ, speed, handling, etc.? With every choice comes sacrifices and so in my case. But the winning points outweigh the loosers so summa summarum I win  ;D

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 14:05:34 »
I like Fuji, and the small medium format is a very exciting proposition, but I would say it is not that clearly a no brainer.
I am ready to bet that the D5 will shred the GFX when it comes to performance, think sports and wildlife.

Having said that, since I don't do that kind of photography, if I had that kind of money burning a hole in my pocket, I would probably get the GFX.

Yes. For super high ISO and sports the GFX is not yet tested
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 14:10:00 »
And it does not have to be an either or choice.

I am sure that a Fuji X-T2 kit can sit quite nicely along side a Nikon FX outfit.

Just my 0.02c.
Hugh Gunn

Mike G

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 17:07:34 »
My Fujinon lens line up is 16, 23, 56, 60macro, 10-24, 18-55, 18-135, 50-140 + 1.4xTC, 2xTC. The 16 & 23 are f1.4 versions and razor sharp.

The 60mm macro will be PXed when the 80mm macro is released! IMHO there is a telephoto hole in the Fujinon line up, something like a 300mm would go down a treat!

The one Nikon lens I regret parting with is the Nikkor 300, f4 PF, but I could not afford to keep it, its place is taken up by a Samyang 300 mirror lens, which of course is a MF lens.

All the above lenses are very good, which leaves me with the problem of which ones to take and when, quite a nice problem really!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 17:25:57 »
For me the 1/125s flash sync in the GFX 50s is really where I lose interest. Otherwise, the body and lenses planned/promised seem very nice. I would want to use it for portraits and I would be often mixing available light and flash for those. 1/125s (which may have to be dropped to 1/100s with some triggers; typically the official sync speed is good with the manufacturer's own flashes) would mean if the subject is moving and there is any available light contributing to the picture, there will be some blur. It would also mean that compared to Nikon, I would have to output 1 stop more flash light to balance with sunlight during daylight portrait shoots, which is a distinct disadvantage.

Leica S offers 1/500s with central shutter lenses (30mm x 45mm sensor size) and Hasselblad X1D even syncs to 1/2000s with its lenses (though no doubt there is some loss of flash light at the highest speeds, I use fairly high speed flash heads with short flash duration). Hasselblad also supports Nikon TTL flashes, which is convenient when desiring to take advantage of the fast sync speeds, one may not have to use a studio flash at all.

Hasselblad's lenses have smaller maximum apertures, so that would have to be balanced with the decision. But for me it is obvious; I am not willing work with a 1/125s or 1/100s flash sync. It feels a strange decision when competitors (with comparable sensor size) are offering 1/500s to 1/2000s sync speeds. The Leica S is too expensive for me but the Hasselblad with current pricing suggested at their web site seems competitive, especially if one wants to do portraits with flash in various environments including, when necessary, full daylight.

Are Fuji saying if they will be offering central shutter lenses one day?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 18:33:07 »
Ilkka, Fuji offers at least two means to use lens shutters for faster flash synchronization: a mount adapter for GX645AF lenses and a film back style adapter for the view cameras.  I'm not sure they would offer the operational comfort that satisfy your need, though.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 20:38:21 »
Manual focus only?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2017, 03:46:32 »
Manual focus only?

Unfortunately, yes.  Other functions including the synchronization up to 1/800 sec. works.

Here's the official detailed info on the H mount adapter G:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/lens/#mountadapter

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2017, 03:47:33 »
...and here are the 117 "looks" on GFX system:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1040360.html

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2017, 05:56:05 »
The image showing it mounted on the view camera is kind of ridiculous, but it would be nice if the hand grip were not prominent of the lens mount so you could actually use some normal-ish lenses.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2017, 09:53:13 »
They have really done an exceptional good job of making this a true System Camera, it seems that the modular approach has been to a very high level!

Kudos to Fujifilm for their effort! Really impressive amount of accessories of all sorts,

Strange their adapter can do 1/800 sync speed while the AF lenses only does 1/125,,, I don't get that,,, - For products 1/125 is sort of enough is a god stabile tripod is used,,,

This actually looks like a very nice addition for state of the art studio/location work!
Erik Lund

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2017, 09:57:23 »
They have really done an exceptional good job of making this a true System Camera, it seems that the modular approach has been to a very high level!

Kudos to Fujifilm for their effort! Really impressive amount of accessories of all sorts,

Strange their adapter can do 1/800 sync speed while the AF lenses only does 1/125,,, I don't get that,,, - For products 1/125 is sort of enough is a god stabile tripod is used,,,

This actually looks like a very nice addition for state of the art studio/location work!

That's because flash sync with the focal plane shutter is only 1/125 but with the adapter one can use the leaf shutter on the lens instead.
(just in case you overlooked this detail...)
Simone Tomasi