Author Topic: Crete, Greece, April 2017  (Read 24829 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Crete, Greece, April 2017
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2017, 14:26:43 »
Sounds promising, Elias - thanks for the heads-up. Any idea about the pricing they apply?

If I'm going through with this (to me, at least) weird idea, I'd need some immediate feedback. 'Immediate' as in the old days when one dropped by the lab in the morning and picked up the developed rolls in the afternoon. Even using pro labs and priority development,  feedback delays for 1-2 hours were unavoidable. In hindsight, a very strange bottleneck in the creative flow indeed, but we never complained back then.

The work cameras will be the Nikon Df (visible) and D3200 (UV). That score is settled.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2017, 19:54:50 »
I gave the shop a call but they did not answer. I think the charge will be reasonable.
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2017, 20:26:24 »
OK, I'll mull this over and decide tomorrow what to do. The camera in question, a black Nikon S3 (AP Edition) shares a 40th Anniversary with my first visit to Greece so reuniting these two would be something special.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2017, 22:31:02 »
Dont you mind what I say, but, if I were in your shoes, I would take the camera with me.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2017, 22:44:06 »
My bag has to be restructured for such a scenario so it's a major undertaking :D haven't shot film for about 15 years or so.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2017, 15:08:05 »
Just been out with my D800 and the MF Nikkord to figure which to take to Crete.
Can it be correct that the old 35mm 2.0 Nikkor O is sharper than my newer 24mm 2.8 AFD?
Can't find info here on NikonGear?
Br Bent

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2017, 15:24:17 »
I have the 24mm 2.8 AF (non-D AF lens, but optically the same if IIRC) and it is not as sharp as either my 35mm f/2.0 AiS or my 24mm f/2.8 AiS.

Sample variation can play a part, but that is how things turned out for me with these three lenses.

Just been out with my D800 and the MF Nikkord to figure which to take to Crete.
Can it be correct that the old 35mm 2.0 Nikkor O is sharper than my newer 24mm 2.8 AFD?
Can't find info here on NikonGear?
Br Bent
Hugh Gunn

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2017, 15:34:11 »
The more recent 24/2.8 models whether AF or AIS have a hard time coming up to the performance required by the D8xx series. Besides, they tend to go out of alignment over time, at least that is what have happened to several of my specimens.

There is little consolation that the 24/2, despite being sharper, is even more prone to being misaligned. The culprit in this case being the CRC group. I have to readjust the rear of the lens every second year or so. As the lens is going with me to Crete, it has been freshly trimmed and tested to be OK.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2017, 15:43:32 »
That makes my bag a little lighter  ;)
Thanks for the quick replies

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2017, 09:42:24 »
OK all of you going to Crete tomorrow: this is the last chance of checking you got the final preparations in order.

Make a check list and tick the boxes as you pack. Do you have a fall-back camera if the main camera lets you down? Is the lens kit well balanced and each item can justify its place there? There is no contest of hauling the most gear.

Spare batteries and, preferable, an extra charger are advisable. Sundry stuff such as lens shades, filters, pouches to store lenses etc. in if you bring a small extra bag, extra storage cards, some solution to allow you to store an extra copy of your files, and the list goes on. Each has their own, but do ensure it is followed to the last dot and letter.

Electric plugs should not pose a problem if you are living in continental Europe. As far as I recall, Greece use quite standard 230V European plugs.

I'm looking forward to Crete tomorrow :D It's been a while since last time.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2017, 10:15:36 »
I think I have taken the decisions needed, have not been easy.
I will have more gear on this trip than usually on a flight travel, but it will be manageable  ::)
Just checked in at the car rental as well ;)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2017, 13:18:49 »
Guys, have a great time and let us know near-live what you are up to.
Simone Tomasi

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2017, 13:34:02 »
have a nice trip and good light
Thomas Stellwag

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2017, 14:02:37 »
Hope you guys enjoy your gathering and am looking forward to the pictorial reports!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2017, 14:43:58 »
Just came home, (I left at 7 this morning).
The countdown has started. It will be the first time that I participate in an NG get together. I would have been glad to meet some more people
from the gang. Be that as it may, My bag is almost ready. 2 cameras, 4-6 (final number will be decided tonight) lenses, tripod and accessories.
My scheduled arrival time is 14:00 tomorrow. I will go to the hotel, unpack, arrange for the dinner and go back to the airport to meet the Vikings. Though I am sure I will recognize Bjorn, (unless he dyes his hair), let me tell you that I will be wearing blue jeans and a dark olive vest with large external pockets. A Df with a 50/2 HC lens will be hanging from my neck.
Looking forward to savor the whole experience.