Author Topic: Crete, Greece, April 2017  (Read 24679 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Crete, Greece, April 2017
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2017, 12:32:38 »
It's drawing closer to the time of decision as to what gear to bring to Crete.

Initially I thought of taking a complete set up of small Nikon 1 cameras and lenses (1V1 and the AW1), but now is moving away from that plan as I think it's better to have a camera/lens for UV considering we'll encounter spring flowers.

If there is a need for this, I'll pack my FT-1 adapter though. It can be programmed for most F-mount lenses even those without a CPU in them. Please say if this item is required. I'll have at my disposal a (very) small stock of CPUs, contact blocks, and other required parts as well. Elias has shown interest in having some of his lenses modified. We'll only do one of them while in Crete, as I hope to spend most of the time exploring the island not drilling holes in lens mounts :D

Also pay attention to the fact it is worse to bring too much than too little equipment. My approach is using a set of *red* lens caps, the number of which is strictly limited, and tentatively try out the lens kit currently capped in red. Familiarity with the selection of lenses/cameras is always an advantage later in the field.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2017, 12:53:04 »
We will bring Nikon1 equipment as this is my wife primary system. I have a normal FT-1, I guess yours is the heavy modified one.
I do some testing at the moment as I will bring some MF Nikkors for use with my D800, just have to find the one that actually works well.
All the talk about the 105mm f2.5 will probably mean that I will bring my AIS sample, together with some wide-angle lenses as well.
I will try to make a kit that is manageable ;). I think that a tripod will be handy, will try some panoramas.
Looking forward to explore Crete.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2017, 13:39:14 »
A tripod is always wise. The lightweight 1 system improves in its performance when the gear is on a tripod.

I'll take the FT-1 Special ... it allows full metering with non-CPU F-mount lenses.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2017, 16:21:05 »
I am planning to take with me 2 cameras (Df, D810) 4-5 mf Nikkors (one for macro, close ups) and the 300 PF for butterflies.
Also, the lighter of my 2 tripods.
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2017, 17:21:38 »
If I'm doing UV, the 300PF has to give way for the SB-140 flash and its (voluminous) battery pack. I could take the TC-14E for the 300PF if you don't have it already. Plus the special pass-through extension ring for any CPU/AFS/E lens that Erik made for my anniversary birthday will be stored in the bag anyway.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2017, 18:01:40 »
Bjorn, please bring Erik's present. No need for TC as I have all 3 of them.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2017, 20:05:15 »
OK, that saves a trifle weight. Will do.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2017, 15:08:10 »
I'm honoured - I will feel present during the workshop - Present in the form of an hollow tube containing Space,,,  :o  :D
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2017, 15:13:49 »
Not just any ordinary space :D :D

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2017, 19:43:04 »
I have, just, communicated with a hobbyist bird photographer in Chania. I met him last year when I visited Crete. I asked him to meet us and suggest places to visit, after we tell him what we would like to shoot. I have, already, told him that wild flowers are on the list.
I, also, made known to him that our interests encompass good local food and I hope that his taste is trustworthy.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2017, 20:02:06 »
While you are at, is fast processing of C-41 film possible in the area? No need for prints, just having the film souped and done with. I'd love to take an old Nikon S3 with my on this 40th Anniversary trip.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2017, 20:23:23 »
Bjorn, I have asked the person in Chania and I will let you know. By "souped" you mean processed until it is ready for printing, right?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2017, 20:27:56 »
Yes, that is correct. Some of the old jargon still sticks.

If I go through with this, films will be scanned not printed. However this project has not reached a decision stage yet. It feels weird to think in terms of film these days.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2017, 21:04:52 »
I will try to call  a shop at Chania tomorrow morning. I will come back to you then.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2017, 14:09:15 »
Bjorn,
There is a shop very close to the hotel that can develop the film. They do it on Tuesdays and Fridays. There must be other shops too.
Allow me a question: You cannot wait until you return to home ground to develop the film?