Author Topic: Zuiko 1.8/75mm and the MFT system  (Read 4050 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: Zuiko 1.8/75mm and the MFT system
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 22:01:39 »

If not the ergonomics of the EM-5 were so bad:

1) I cannot switch OFF the rear screen and only use the View finder as screen as I do it with my Fuji all the time. In many situations the screen goes life again and I have to use the little button on the right side of the VF to toggle between the two
With the camera on, press and hold the viewfinder button.  A menu option should appear to turn the auto switching between viewfinder and rear LCD.

2) The VF picture does not resemble the final picture. Only the frame and a symbol for AF success can be seen
There is a menu option to have the  VF reflect the exposure of to auto gain.  Make sure that option is set correctly for you.  Also, +-3 EV is still that is displayed on the VF.  If your the exposure is more than that either way, the EVF keeps enough of the scene illuminated for you to see to frame.

Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 22:16:39 »
Frank:

I have dabbled with several  m4/3 cameras and lenses.  Just sent a rented em 1.2 back.  It was the best of the breed that I have used, but still has some limitations for my main use, bird photography.  ISO performance is better, but still unacceptable for me at ISOs over 1600.  I will say, the the uber clunky Olympus view software does a much better job with the chroma noise in the files than LR. 

Video is better than my EM5, but not noticeably better than my GH4, and the video autofocus is still not capable enough to rely on for my needs.

I will be curious to try out the GH5 when it comes on line. 

Cheers

Randy

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 04:06:08 »
the 75 1.8 is indeed one of the high points of the m4/3 system.

however, despite frank's excellent camera work and eye, i find myself underwhelmed by the format. i think if atmospheric narrow depth of field is the goal, a larger sensor is required. i'll deal with the added bulk of the 105 1.4 on a d500, and also get good performance in low light, fast tracking autofocus, and an actual image in the finder rather than a little television. :)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 05:35:47 »
I guess, schwett, it is an interesting experience for half a year, then I reduce to my Nikon system again. The 105E really rounded it up for me: 24 35 50 60 85 105 200 300 ... FX&DX ... works for me.

Thank you, Andrew. Both settings already are as suggested by you. Yet if I use the EVF only, playback will still switch on the display and not every menu automatically apears in the EVF. Much more logical behaviour in my Fuji X100T. She is here to stay. Good girl.

PS: no switch from AF to MF? I cannot find one. Have to use half pressed shutter release for saving focus.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:01 »
This lens has next to no geometrical issues. A straight line stays straigt, geometrical correction delivers no change...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/