Author Topic: Nikon K-Ring set  (Read 8563 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Nikon K-Ring set
« on: January 06, 2017, 14:51:42 »
Not very rare, but a beautiful set, in a leather case, the K-ring set of Nikon F. 

Contains the K1, K2, K3, K4 and K5.   More details can be found here: K-ringset on MIR.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikon K-Ring set
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 15:25:02 »
One usually finds the K-ring set in such leather case. Most sets I've encountered are in a pristine condition - apparently they were a *must have* item for Nikkormat users in the late '60's or early '70s.

K-ring sets are indispensable to the experimentally inclined photographer. They are the equivalent of Lego bricks and can be used singly or combined in all sorts of applications. I must have gone through at least 25 sets over the years.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 16:01:17 »
I have a couple of these sets and they're very handy. 

Obviously since these are entirely without coupling, they're best used for manual applications, but one should remember that the K1 ring will hit the electronic contacts of an AF lens, so that should be avoided unless it's modified.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 16:21:14 »
... one should remember that the K1 ring will hit the electronic contacts of an AF lens, so that should be avoided unless it's modified.

Actually, Nikon is in the habit of warning against the use of K1 (and K2) with modern cameras, but this is for them to be veer on the safe side. Both items will mount happily on any Nikon and there is little danger of hitting the camera throat  contacts unless you are very clumsy and ham-fisted.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 20:19:33 »
Actually, Nikon is in the habit of warning against the use of K1 (and K2) with modern cameras, but this is for them to be veer on the safe side. Both items will mount happily on any Nikon and there is little danger of hitting the camera throat  contacts unless you are very clumsy and ham-fisted.
I agree there is no particular danger on the camera end, but if you look at how a K1 fits on an AF lens, you will see that it hits the lens contacts pretty hard.  I milled my K1 a little to be on the safe side.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 02:43:52 »
I never use my K-1 ring with AF lenses. I also would not use the PK:11a with AF-S or VR lenes thought a Nikon site says it's OK. I gave them feedback which they're ignored. I've checked actual product and the cut out for AF and AF-D lenses is not sufficient for AF-S lenses and will jam the aperture coupling for VR lenes.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:44:52 »
Very early sets were not labelled K1-5, they were marked A, B1, B2, C and D. See here: http://www.destoutz.ch/accessories_close-up_extension-ring-sets.html

- A is equivalent to K1 and can be used independently.
- B1 and B2 must be used together, the same as K2 and K3 - B1/K2 fits on the camera, B2/K3 attaches to the lens.
- C and D are the same as K4 and K5, they are spacers which can be fitted between B1 and B2 for increased extension.

The older designation actually makes more sense.

This kit can be made even more versatile by adding the BR-2 and BR-3 reversing ring adaptors. They all have 52mm filter threads so can be attached in all manner of combinations, especially with lenses with the same filter size.

I sometimes use the K4 ring as a short hood - useful for short telephotos like the 85/2. It provides a measure of shading and protection for the front element without taking too much space in the bag, and you can fit the normal lens cap on the end.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 02:54:44 »
The Swiss-Army Knife of extensions. I must have five or six sets and use them all the time.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 17:02:20 »
- A is equivalent to K1 and can be used independently.

I have both, and where the K1 touch the cpu-contact of the lens, there are no way to mount alens with cpu on A, as there are not room for the contacts.

When using K1, the lens will be turned about 45°, this is not the case when using A.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 10:46:37 »
Any chance that somebody has a set for sale?
I had one in the old days, but it has been misplaced, can’ find it again :(
Would be nice if it is close to Copenhagen  :)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 10:55:56 »
Roland: B1 and B2 can be used individually, just like K2 and K3, for many non-standard applications.  For example, B1/K2 as the final F-mount on makeshift adaptations of exotic lenses, B2/K3 as a short lens hood/filter holder for reversed Nikkors.

Bent: I have purchased > 20 K-ring sets over the years and also have one or two of the older A type. Moving out of Oslo at present, but when I am finally established in my new digs, a lot of sorting of gear is going to take place. Chances are I can re-assemble a full K-ring set from whatever parts are floating around. I know there is surplus of K4 and K5, likely the same for K1, and maybe the odd K2 and K3. I'll bring whatever extra combination found with me to Granada later in spring.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 14:06:50 »
Here is a new Ebay listing:  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292453129964?ul_noapp=true 

I find that the Asian listings are slightly less expensive than those from the US or Canada on account of the lower postal charges in Asia.
Hugh Gunn

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 14:08:42 »
Hi Bjørn
Sound very good. I will play with adding a lens in front, but turning correct, not reversed.
Br Bent