Author Topic: So what else can I do wrong?  (Read 2147 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
So what else can I do wrong?
« on: January 04, 2017, 06:06:23 »
Yesterday I wondered around the Latin Quarter for a bit with the new Pen F w/17 1.8 (which I share with my wife) .  I had the camera set up for how I normally shoot the Olympus cameras.  First off shooting in Natural with minus 1 sharp , ORF and jpeg and Manual Mode... well I had not known my wife had used the camera and did not check the settings.   I have found that the Olympus cameras bake in sharpness in ORF.

I was shooting this hotel / restaurant for a site in Aperture Mode , did not mind the tourists coming into the image but the car was not what I wanted  >:( .  Speed to low
The guy on the bike was just an Old Town Scene for context for the Hotel as was the woman on the scooter .  Should have used the Nikon or Sony which I only use and should not take the settings for granted.  The last image was shooting across the river in the dark and was focusing on the boats.  a7rII did not like focus in the dark  :(.  The Pen F was only jpeg  :(  All handheld, time to start using a tripod  :)
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: So what else can I do wrong?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 09:12:41 »
I have found that the Olympus cameras bake in sharpness in ORF.

I find your post a bit confusing but I'll comment on the sharpening. I'd use very minimal sharpening in camera if any and I would do the sharpening after the RAW image is developed.

The down side to not using sharpening in camera is the LCD preview will probably be quite mushy. Baking the sharpening into the RAW file would be a deal breaker for me.

With my Nikon DSLR(s) I use average sharpening in camera then I use the least possible when developing and do my sharpening independent of the development. I'll typically save a Photoshop PSD file unsharpened and do my sharpening when I'm creating a JPG or other file for a particular use.

Hope this helps,

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 09:33:30 »
Tom, do you mean that the in-camera sharpening setting cannot be changed even on the RAW data?  I used E-M5 MkII, but haven't realized that.  As I'm not big fan of Olympus' taste for the sharpening, I made sure that the sharpening was off (or set at the lowest setting) from time to time.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 03:17:18 »
David and Akira, thanks for looking.  Really just angry with myself for being stupid.   I can re-shoot the images at a better time of day and make sure I properly get the camera set up properly before shooting.  I had the D500 with me but only the DC105 f2D.  Not the set up for shooting narrow streets. Shooting the new camera when I wanted images was not cool  :( .   I'll go stay in the hotel for a night (Comped, for usable imasges) with Nikons and some lighting and see what I can do  ;)

I struggled with Olympus Viewer with the EM5,  finally was able to get the EM1 settings as I wanted them for use in PS.  Akira, I will try dropping the  Sharp settings even more.  Even with ORF/RAW processing in Olympus Viewer I was not able to get rid of some of the sharpening artifacts and jagged edges.  The night image was shot with the boats in the dark with the ISO max set at 6400.   The ar7ii/Batis 25 had trouble focusing on the Boats which were in the dark so just trying to recover.   Would probably been better using the Smartphone .
Cheers
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:32:27 »
The series is fine ... except the car in #1 I do not see a problem with them

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3