Author Topic: SB-14 Modification  (Read 1596 times)

charlie

• NG Supporter
SB-14 Modification
« on: January 02, 2017, 09:39:01 »
Does anyone happen to know if there is a tutorial on removing the yellow coating from the SB-14 flash tube for enhanced UV output? I recall seeing one some time ago but can not locate it now. I've searched Shane's website and found a page about modified SB-14's but no tutorials have surfaced.

I'm familiar with the process of polishing all but a strip of the UV coating from the bulb though wouldn't mind a guide if there is one which might demonstrate how to gain access to the bulb.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: SB-14 Modification
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:12:55 »
Perhaps an e-mail or PM to Shane himself will provide the required answer(s)?

I'm using SB-14 units only for IR, so cannot help you (have some SB-140 flashes for UV).

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 16:11:06 »
I've modified two flashes for UV.  None of them were SB-14, and I had to cut off the front windows to reach the xenon tubes.  The yellow coating was very easy to remove using metal polishing compound.  Cymbal cleaner works well, too.

As you should already know, the xenon tube is very delicate and vulnerable.  Any excessive force will damage the tube, and cause the explosion of the tube.  Just apply the polishing compound on the cotton swab and rub the tube gently.  No need to force it.  Wearing a pair of protective goggles would be preferable.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 18:53:01 »
Ah-ha the elusive SB-140. Of course you have a couple of them :-)
Thanks for both of your input. I'll shoot Shane an email.