Author Topic: DIY Tripod Modification.  (Read 5767 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: DIY Tripod Modification.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 00:58:23 »
..I'm aware of the importance of the head, but the main topic here is the tripod project.  So, I only refer to the tripod.

True enough, but it's easy to get the priorities in the wrong order. The best of tripods are not a cure for bad heads.

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 08:39:45 »
The DIY Tripod Modification Topic, has evolved into a directional guidance as to where I should be looking equipment wise, as my future upgrade. This is appreciated advice and all offerings are welcome on the table.
I am familiar with a variety of the brands suggested, but have no user experience with them.
Much of my telephoto work due to the location choices are carried out constantly moving, so the tripod is used more like a monopod, and seldom is used conventionally. The conventional use is mainly used so I can use a set of binoculars, and the camera kit is sitting securely close by. Then the other method I use is a stealth one where I am seated in a folding fishermans chair, the tripods legs are on a short extension, and two legs of the tripod straddle my thighs. The other method I use is in a purpose made observatory hide at a nature reserve.
These hides usually have a bench and a shelve that is about 900mm above the floor. Above the bench is a window about 400mm in height.
In this situation the tripod is set at very short tube extensions, I set two legs to a horizontal position and spread them allowing them to lay over the bench, resting on the outer wall beneath the window.
The third leg is then height adjusted to the floor, so that the tripod top plate is levelled. This set up allows the objective lens to be almost projecting through the window to the outside. It is also a lot more of friendly set up when in a hide with other hide users.
In the popular nature reserves, there is little space in the hides at certain times, so the less foot print used the better.
With these main tripod usage methods, I was not drawn to the video type tripods, as I believed the straps between the legs would have been limiting for me, and I was not aware that the legs had a lockable multi positioning device.
So I was always drawn to standard camera tripods investing in carbon fibre a couple of years ago, then later learning of the Sirui R5124XL,
that seemed to tick many boxes for me.     
John Gallagher

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 15:55:02 »
I can see that for the observatory hide, something like the Quickset Samson would not work well at all, as its legs are not independent.  It's incredibly sturdy in its right place,  and the leg extension can be varied, but on mine, at least, all three legs are permanently braced together.