Author Topic: Capture NX2 broken on MAC OSX?  (Read 10296 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Capture NX2 broken on MAC OSX?
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 00:45:29 »
I believe the version of Nikon Transfer form VNX2 can modify the PICT information so the NEF(s) uploaded are not virgin. It seems this could be a problem.

Using VNX2 to add a few stars to an NEF causes sync software to want to update copies on a quick backup HD so an archive NEF is needed immediately on upload. I don't truly sync but rather contribute but I have the problem of possibly over-writing a Good NEF with one that's been corrupted. From there all saved copies could be corrupted. I need new procedures and hard drives.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

mikehawkes

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 12:20:05 »
Mine broke yesterday too. Any idea how to fix the corrupted files?

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 13:57:19 »
If you have not deleted the files on the memory card, you can just copy them to your computer with Finder or similar. It seems that only Nikon Transfer is broken. On my system View NX2 and Capture NX2 still works.
Kim

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2016, 22:59:16 »
Mine broke yesterday too. Any idea how to fix the corrupted files?

It may be that Nikon Transfer 2 as included in ViewNX2 is the problem. ViewNX2 is NOT supported and the Nikon Transfer 2 included with it is NOT supported. Moreover it you check for an updated Nikon Transfer 2 from the one installed by the last ViewNX2 an UPDATED VERSION WILL NOT BE FOUND. It is probably time to install Nikon ViewNXi and use it rather than ViewNX2. If one is going to continue using Nikon Transfer 2 (which should be named Nikon Transfer 3, that is the one included with ViewNXi) install ViewNXi to get the latest Nikon Transfer 2.

Note that ViewNX2 writes to the NEF file when you do things like add stars. Since it is not supported at anytime it might start corrupting NEF(s).

Still using CaptureNX2 for NEF files? I recommend saving an NEF file for this specific use, e.g. copy D800_DSC9999.NEF to something like D800_DSC9999_CNX2.NEF. Now edit the copy. The original NEF will not be written to by ViewNXi and its Nikon Transfer 2 only a sidecar file such as D800_DSC9999.nksc. The same goes for CaptureNX-D. It will not write to the original NEF only to the associated *.nksc side car.

I have not fully tested this but I'm not finding that adding 5 stars to an NEF file in ViewNXi does not write to the NEF. This is all on Windows 7. I will install ViewNXi again on my iMAC and test it but my iMAC is running OS X v10.11.6 (El Capitan) and not OS X v10.12.x (Sierra).

Play it safe: upload NEF(s) with Finder FIRST and then try and see if ViewNXi and it's associated Nikon Transfer 2 cures the problem.

I hope this thread helps save someone's bacon!

Dave Hartman

I hope I found all the typos. I wrote this pretty fast. I'm reading on other forms about people having corrupted NEF(s). I'm trying to help so people don't loose valuable NEF(s)!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 13:33:18 »
After a bit more poking I found this when I selected... Preferences> [X] Add additional information to files, XMP/IPTC Preset

Are you using the latest version of ViewNX-i?
Before using this setting, please make sure that this version of ViewNX-i is compatible with your camera. If you are using a version of ViewNX-i that is not compatible with your camera, RAW image files transferred with this setting turned on may not function properly.

Would you like to turn on this setting?  [yes] [No]

--Nikon Transfer 2, v2.12.4

So when using this feature of the latest Nikon Transfer 2 it does write to the NEF under this condition so one should be careful to use a version of Nikon Transfer 2 that is as new or newer than the camera. If it's not as new as the camera it may cause problems with CaptureNX2 and or CaptureNX-D.

To play it safe use only the latest version of Nikon Transfer 2 that is installed with the latest version of ViewNXi

To play it even safer use Finder instead of Nikon Transfer 2.

Dave Hartman

OK, I think I've beat this horse long enough. If it doesn't get up and run it might be dead. :)

---

If memory serves me I lost a few early test photos with my D800 by using Nikon Transfer that shipped with my D300s. I think the damage was similar to that shown in the first post. I didn't save those damaged NEF(s). They were inconsequential. I solved the problem by installing Nikon ViewNX2 as shipped with my D800. 

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 22:41:38 »
I just did a bit by bit comparison of an NEF transfer to my iMAC with Nikon Transfer 2 v2.12.4 to the NEF still on my CF card. I added XMP/IPCT info using Add additional information under the Preferences tab. The copy with "additional information" was a perfect match to the one still on the CF card: no information was written to the NEF by Transfer 2 v2.12.4. Side car files were written.

Film at 11:00 :)

So if NEF are being corrupted it must be that a version of Nikon Transfer 2 that shipped with ViewNX2 2.10.3 or earlier is being used and not one that shipped with ViewNXi v1.2.4 which again is Transfer 2 v2.12.4. Nikon really should have called the VNXi version Transfer 3 as placing XMP/IPCT in a side car rather than in the NEF is a significantly different approach.

All this said I am testing with OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan on the MAC not Sierra.

Again: use Finder to be safest and look for a stand alone updated Transfer 2 from Nikon. If still on El Capitan Transfer 2 v2.12.4 is safe according to my tests. YMMV!

Finder! Finder! Finder! :)

Dave Hartman

The horse didn't get up and run yet but I want to save people some grief and possible loss of photographs.