Author Topic: D810 successor in the pipeline?  (Read 47794 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: D810 successor in the pipeline?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 10:51:23 »
I am with Bjørn on 96mp. Seriously.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 11:07:00 »
I am with Bjørn on 96mp. Seriously.

:o :o :o

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2016, 11:08:23 »
I want a D5x 😎

yes, this makes perfect sense :o :o :o
sorry for being off topic ::)

the D3x still fetch a good price

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2016, 11:54:41 »
I want 96 MPix.

Pardon me for being slow but do you really want 96MP or was this a bit of tongue-in-cheek?

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 12:24:12 »

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2016, 12:26:16 »
Just get rid of those stupid pro controls or at least  have a lock on the settings menu ...54 MP +  and for gods sake a quartz controlled clock in the thing .

I love the possibility to lock time or aperture or both
I love the possibility to record a short audio note with my picture

All that and more is missing in the lower incarnations
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2016, 12:32:41 »
Pardon me for being slow but do you really want 96MP or was this a bit of tongue-in-cheek?

Dave Hartman

Dunno about him but I do :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2016, 12:51:33 »

Dave Hartman

Of course. It is the double of today's "standard" 24 MPix in terms of resolution. Makes a lot of sense. Plus we certainly could forego any AA filter.

My network storage capacity won't have any problems were such models to materialise in the future.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 13:41:04 »
I would prefer to stay away from further increases in pixel count since I have no practical use for the additional information and it would increase needs to storage and computational resources. I'm very happy to have a camera now which can mostly handle the focusing requirements of its sensor (D5) even at wide apertures and a computer which makes it practical to edit those files without waiting. A D810 NEF converted to TIFF and edited normally (two additional layers) is about 600MB on the disk. Going to 96MP would push that to 1.6 GB per image. Most such images would likely be slightly out of focus because of this I can't see how there would be perceptible gain on image quality at least in my own applications. A much larger sensor size (such as 6x4,5cm full frame or bigger) would make sense if you need such resolutions and I would imagine the benefits would be much more tangible.

I like the D810 body a lot and would like to get the Multi-CAM 20k and Nikon's radio flash control added to it, as well as XQD card support (maybe SD UHS-II in the second card, though I would prefer two XQD, since SD UHS-II seem just as expensive as XQD but more fragile, and I don't want to invest in a huge variety of expensive high speed cards that are incompatible with each other). Canon has the sense to put a practical resolution (30MP) in their mainline 5D Mark IV (they usually have the pulse on what most photographers need; shouldn't be surprising that their market share is increasing even though they're already no 1). If Nikon wants to make an ultra high resolution variant, by all means, as long as other customers who specifically don't want it  are given reasonable options to choose from as well.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2016, 18:06:29 »
I like the D810 body a lot and would like to get the Multi-CAM 20k and Nikon's radio flash control added to it, as well as XQD card support (maybe SD UHS-II in the second card, though I would prefer two XQD, since SD UHS-II seem just as expensive as XQD but more fragile, and I don't want to invest in a huge variety of expensive high speed cards that are incompatible with each other).

!

& a better AF, fine tuned 20k?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2016, 15:52:14 »
a tilt screen would be nice  :o :o :o
for landscape photographers ::)

i think adding MP is inevitable. they have to have an answer to the new canon high MP camera...

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2016, 16:13:04 »
I'm not after a high Mpx camera either.
D500 camerabody and D5 sensor would be my ideal camera (AKA real D700 successor :D).
An upgraded D750 sensor would be fine as well.
Chris Dees

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2016, 17:13:46 »
I'm not after a high Mpx camera either.
D500 camerabody and D5 sensor would be my ideal camera (AKA real D700 successor :D).

I must admit that this may also make me get some GAS again ???

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2016, 17:22:37 »
i think adding MP is inevitable. they have to have an answer to the new canon high MP camera...

Given the D810's superior dynamic range (from ISO 64 to 400, but especially at base ISO, photographic DR difference 1.7 stops, engineering DR difference 2.4 stops), I don't think Nikon has to respond to the 5Ds (R) in any way, in so far as the landscape photographers are concerned.  I personally think that photography is much more about light, shadow, colour and tones, and the macroscopic visual content of the image that one can see at all scales of display rather than small differences in microscopic detail that you need a wall sized print and a magnifying glass to see. I'm not saying that additional detail isn't of value, but 50 MP vs. 36MP is a small difference. If you need more detail, a 6x4,5cm sensor with 100 MP or 200MP would seem to be the next logical step up from 35mm. For me the fact that I don't have to capture a series of exposures to make a decent image of a landscape and spend a long time merging those exposures with hand painted masks and wondering what looks least wrong (and realizing that elements of the landscape have moved between exposures, again leading to decisions to avoid apparent conflict) is of much greater value than a small difference in detail especially at such small scales that we're talking about. I think in the D810 Nikon really got it when it concerns how to make a camera that produces beautiful images.  But for some reason I see that a lot of people missed the event ...

bjornthun

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2016, 19:05:19 »
I'm in on the 96mp 35mm format sensor idea, definitely a good idea.