Author Topic: 105E ... bulky ... slow AF ... superb IQ  (Read 28635 times)

Jacques

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: 105E ... bulky ... slow AF ... superb IQ
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 22:01:54 »
Frank, I am 70 but I can manage to take my D810 plus grip with the 105 fitted every time I leave home so a ' young man ' like yourself should have no issues  8) I have a Peak Design slide fitted, the approx 2 inch wide webbing strap went a long way to make the weight manageable, there is one issue with the strap but it is a minor irritation only but the ability to disguise the weight makes it worth it.
A.Jacks

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 22:03:56 »
Congratulations on your new purchase, Frank. I love my old 105/2.5 AIS too much to be interested in this new lens, but I have wanted a 200-500 since I saw yours back in May, and I have just ordered one.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 22:23:27 »
The 105/1.4 is no replacement for the old veteran f/2.5 as they can co-exist happily. My experience for what it is worth.

The f/1.4 does much better than the f/2.5 if combined with extension. However, as it is 'E', one either needs the indefinite patience to manipulate the aperture to a desirable setting, or aim for an extension tube with  pass-through contacts. In the latter case, don't forget the inner opening need to be as large as possible in order not to cut off peripheral rays. Erik made such a ring for me from a junked TC-14E.2 (thanks again for the birthday gift!!).

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 22:26:55 »
You are most welcome! Nice to see it put to good use also :)
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 00:30:02 »
Your picture of the Black Veg Cafe. I can see an Arri 2k with some Gel sheet aimed at the window. Were they shooting Video?

In this street they seem to shoot some TV series for a few years already. The tables were standing outside because they were filming inside. Yet I had to wait until the two parking spots were free to shoot it with the monochromatic scene as backdrop. I am desperatly waiting for the D810 successor. I need certain features of the 5th gen like AF and WB and color consitency over a huge ISO range.

Until then I will use the D600 & D500 and D3. For my purposes the D5 was not the right camera and the D810 was no solution for the D600 troubles.

Maybe I get somehow used to the 160mm FOW of this lens on the D500...

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 00:39:22 »
Frank, I am 70 but I can manage to take my D810 plus grip with the 105 fitted every time I leave home so a ' young man ' like yourself should have no issues  8) I have a Peak Design slide fitted, the approx 2 inch wide webbing strap went a long way to make the weight manageable, there is one issue with the strap but it is a minor irritation only but the ability to disguise the weight makes it worth it.

It is always a trade off. Sometimes I feel free when I go out with no camera and no phone. I can see and hear and there is no being prepared for anything. A call can make a difference of very significant amounts of money. No phone means I can call back later.

No camera means I can stand in wind and sun and rain and savour the light with no pressure to shoot compose and come back with something pleasing or frustrating calling to be edited.

Taking 2.5 Kilos of gear with me or 24 Kilos at times is a statement. I feel like an Ox with a carriage sometimes. Sometimes I love to be that Ox. Sometimes not.

Yet sometimes I love to keep a backdoor. An Option. And this option is the X100T. Very small pocket size and very adult IQ.

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 00:49:47 »
Congratulations on your new purchase, Frank. I love my old 105/2.5 AIS too much to be interested in this new lens, but I have wanted a 200-500 since I saw yours back in May, and I have just ordered one.

You know that I got rid of the 200-500 and paid the upgrade to the 300PF?

The reasons were manyfold:
One was 2300g vs 750g
One was Zoom ws Prime
One was 5.6 vs 4
One was the zooming with the 200-500 is slow

The 200-500 is superb for a situation with a fixed observation point, repetible animal movement like a nesting area or feeding station and a gimbal on a sturdy tripod. The 300PF is a wonderful walk around lens and you can keep a DX body in your backpack to give it another meaning.

AF and VR of the 200-500 are great but zooming is slow. Lots or practice and strong arms.

Lowell

• NG Member
  • Fascinated by photography
    • lowell harris photography
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 01:23:48 »
The 105/1.4 is no replacement for the old veteran f/2.5 as they can co-exist happily. My experience for what it is worth.

The f/1.4 does much better than the f/2.5 if combined with extension. However, as it is 'E', one either needs the indefinite patience to manipulate the aperture to a desirable setting, or aim for an extension tube with  pass-through contacts. In the latter case, don't forget the inner opening need to be as large as possible in order not to cut off peripheral rays. Erik made such a ring for me from a junked TC-14E.2 (thanks again for the birthday gift!!).

Bjorn,  Interesting.  May I ask, in what ways do you see them complement one another.  When, for example, would you prefer to use the f/2.5?

Lowell
Lowell Harris

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 01:27:32 »
Landscapes, casual shooting, when using the Df as my camera, and so on.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 04:49:33 »
Congratulations Frank
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 09:11:43 »
Congrats Frank!

I've found AF to be at the same speed as my other 1,4 lenses too (24G and 58G).
This on a D810 and D500. On the D500 it's faster than on the D810, but that shouldn't be a surprise. 
The lens is too big for my Df. :)
Chris Dees

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 09:55:44 »
Congratulations for your new piece of equipment. I have already two 105mm: the Micro Nikkor VR and a vintage NIKKOR-P 105mm f/2.5, revamped by Erik. I will pass my way for this one (at least for the time being 😊)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 12:24:51 »
Chris: Thank you. I will have that checked. The 24G is my fasted AF lens currently on the D500, on the D600 it is very slow, for the 58G I am still searching, looking for a deal in the 900 Euro area on a very good used one. The 105E is as slow as the 24G on the D600 on both the D500 and the D600, only the D3 drives it a bit faster.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 12:25:29 »
Here are some more shots of today;
due to its bulk it is kind of "inertia stabilized";
"superb transitions" ...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 19:21:18 »
Today in the Botanical Garden: