Author Topic: A Neighbor  (Read 3856 times)

Woodley Willie

• Monkey See, Monkey Do, Monkey Do Again...
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
A Neighbor
« on: November 27, 2016, 14:38:44 »
Honestly, I don't think this is a particularly good image, I just don't know why...a critical eye will be appreciated.  Thanks
Wonder what this does?

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: A Neighbor
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 17:38:55 »
I think the main thing is the image suffers compositionally from too much tree bark area around the squirrel's face. Crop in perhaps?

Technically, I suppose you could tone down the highlights in the upper left corner.
And perhaps raise the shadows just a bit around the squirrel's face.
Add a touch of enhanced detail on its face maybe?

I think it is kinda cute. "-) And it serves as documentary about squirrel behaviour.

I have taken the liberty of offering a cropped view and also a view with a little burning/dodging (which should be done on the raw for better results). Feel free to disregard. "-)

Woodley Willie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 17:55:44 »
Thanks Andrea, I like the first of your two images a lot.
Wonder what this does?

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 00:40:26 »
I actually think Andrea's crop looses an important point of the original one: A tiny squirrel in a small hole in really big tree, which makes it look cute.
Cropping it, it is more of an ordinary squirrel portrait. So I prefer it with the original framing, but probably with Andrea's first tone adjustment.
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 02:17:33 »
I would second Øivind.

Andrea's first edit looks nice, but, to me, the joy of finding some cutie is better represented in the original frame.

Well captured in the first place!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Woodley Willie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 03:49:45 »
I truly appreciate the feedback.

Bill C
Wonder what this does?

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 04:59:13 »
Well, if viewing the photo on a monitor, then the small face surrounded by a lot of bark probably works. But I was thinking if the photo was printed and viewed hanging on a wall, then the small face is just lost because we typically don't view wall prints as closely as we sit in front of monitors?
Maybe.... ;D ;D ;D

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 09:36:23 »
I like the first one it just needs some contrast and sharpening to make it stand out more IMHO :) Nice catch
Erik Lund

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 10:18:08 »
One really cant "see" the image in the tread - great to open it up in Photoshop though.

I played with it a bit - and for me the issues are:

1.Image not sharp on the squirrel
2.Squirrel should be lighter

Remember the eye follows to where the image is bright - by making the squirrel lighter - and perhaps the bark either darker or less saturated (my preference), the focus is on the squirrel and the eye is drawn there. I actually like the image and think it should look great printed big - my version not yours  ;D ;D

Note - if you dont like it - you are welcome to say and I will delete it. It is my subjective view only and I don't expect others to agree.

Like Andrea - my first thing would have been to crop - but it really does work uncropped.I think I crop too much anyway
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Woodley Willie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 13:34:25 »

1.Image not sharp on the squirrel
2.Squirrel should be lighter
Remember the eye follows to where the image is bright - by making the squirrel lighter - and perhaps the bark either darker or less saturated (my preference), the focus is on the squirrel and the eye is drawn there.

elsa
You have said the magic word that I have been concerned with regarding this, and many other of my efforts:  'unsharp.'  So I am actually relieved that this has been pointed out.  I have shared the original image with a couple of 'locals' and they were charmed but I knew I did not quite get there.  This thread has been very helpful!
Wonder what this does?

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 14:19:38 »
 ;D  go back and shoot it again  ;D
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za