Author Topic: to Mail or to Mac mail - NOT  (Read 15783 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: to Mail or to Mac mail - NOT
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 09:30:52 »
Just to confirm - Thunderbird never had the mail in the stacked format - I assume that is still the case?
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 15:34:33 »
Just to confirm - Thunderbird never had the mail in the stacked format - I assume that is still the case?

Depends on what "stacked" means. If it means threaded, then Thunderbird can do it (via View - Sort). If it means sorted otherwise, then Thunderbird can do it as well (via View - Sort).
Hans Cremers

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 15:47:42 »
I use Thunderbird, I access the multiple email accounts from one program, very convenient, easy to use, reliable
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 17:05:13 »
I said I use the default Apple Mail (thanks, Keith!) on my MacBook Air.  But that's simply because I don't use MBA as  my main machine.  If I would use my MBA more extensively, I would surely use Thunderbird which I have been using on my main Windows machines since the Outlook Express and Windows Mail had been discontinued.  Thunderbird doesn't stack the email and is simple to use.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 17:08:27 »
Depends on what "stacked" means. If it means threaded, then Thunderbird can do it (via View - Sort). If it means sorted otherwise, then Thunderbird can do it as well (via View - Sort).

Apple Mail will put all mails say with the same subject - in a thread - one below the other following down.

Thunderbird used to have every single mail you have coming in, seperately and you dont scroll down the mail to see previous mails from the same person. Thats that I want . ONE at a time

Armando - thats what I recall as well

Thanks Akira - brilliant.

Now to move over from Apple Mail to Thunderbird...  :-[ :-[
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 19:28:24 »
Then Thunderbird does what you want Elsa. Actually it suits both camps, the threaded ones and the un-threaded ones  ;D
Hans Cremers

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 20:03:32 »
So it seems.
I am just surprised at how many people use Apple Mail. And so few that dislike it..
Makes me wonder what is wrong with me  ;D ;D Dont answer that..

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 20:09:02 »
Got the new accounts running - easy to set up. Will see how things develop and how well it works

btw - is it possible to run Apple mail still while also getting my mails thru Thunderbird? Downloading to both? I assume I should set Apple mail up that mails are not deleted from the server immediately (otherwise it won't download on Thunderbird)

I also will have to keep Apple mail in the background for a loooong while (even if not using it for new mails) as I have thousands of mails there which I have to access from time to time - unless I am able to transfer them over to Thunderbird?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 21:08:51 »
How I Did It by Dr. Frankenstein

How to turn off Google's more secure logon which messes with Thunderbird and is not more secure.

Google general search page...
*Colored dot in upper right
*My account
Sign in if necessary
*Security checkup - get started
Disable access for less secure apps (BS) is your goal...
*Done
*Looks good
After the above two items you'll arrive at...
*Access for less secure apps (x) Turn off

**Update** up at top of screen.

I hope this makes sense.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 21:41:38 »
Thanks David - yes it makes sense :)

What I dont get in Thuderbird is this:

Every mail account seems to have a different set up regarding folders?

If I delete a mail in the very last account - that mail is GONE! no trash folder and if I search - its completely missing. it is not the the Trash folder at the bottom of the list either 

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 02:40:11 »
You can set Tbird up to see all the folders in the mail account.
It depends on whether you've set it up as IMAP or POP.
IMAP = the webmail type view(your junk/trash/spam/etc folders. This is where you simply view a remote version of the email on your computer.
POP is where you've downloaded the actual email to your local device(ie. Mac computer).

Same with folders, when you set the account up, it automagically sets up individual directories and sub directories for each account. You can specify at the time of the account where all those messages are to be stored.

(ps. I can't remember if you can reset the location of those folders without affecting the location of any old messages)

I personally prefer to have each individual email account to have it's own directory.

As for backup, I think you can backup some stuff and effectively have a 'full backup' regime but I remember there were some issues with some things not backed up. I haven't used that in years as I use another method.
So I found that the best way to backup Tbird (and Firefox if you use that too) is to use MozBackup. (google it, it's only a small program)
A small independent backup program that completely backs Tbird up into a single (and large) file dated logically.

I use calendars heavily for various things, and have them all synced up with other PC devices and mobile phone.
Problem almost always arises with a new phone(as one example) and my Google calendars usually end up borked to extinction!

I always use MozBackup prior to setting up a new phone because of this, as I can reset the calendars up and tell the phone to use the Tbird calendar first so that it's in sync with Google and then sync with google(even tho it's synced).
Just a note if you use MozBackup for Tbird tho.
When its time to restore a Tbird, you need to have it installed, open it briefly DO NOTHING else, and just close it. Tbird needs to be opened once just to create the default user profile, for MozBackup to have somewhere to backup too.

Once you've restored TBird, its as tho nothing has changed.

As for that last email account. I think it could be the account type or setting to POP.
Have you checked the local account folder for sent and trash for any sent or deleted messages?
Arthur

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 12:12:26 »
So I found that the best way to backup Tbird (and Firefox if you use that too) is to use MozBackup. (google it, it's only a small program)

I googled it (http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/) and it seems windows only. On top of that, it seems not recently maintained.

Since i believe Elsa is on a Mac, this wouldn't help (i checked because i would be interested as well, but also Mac).
Hans Cremers

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 18:51:00 »

not being able to see whats in the spam bucket without going onto webmail is also an issue.

Try going into View and uncheck Organise by Conversation.  Then Sort emails by date or whatever you prefer.

As for the Junk folder, this works fine on my iMac running Sierra.  Have you enabled Junk filtering - Preferences>Junk Mail>Enable Junk Mail Filtering>Move to Junk Mailbox.

If this does not work, go into Preferences>Accounts>Junk Mailbox.  This should show the Junk Mailbox as an option, or you can create a new Junk folder in Mail and select that as your Junk mailbox.

Another possibility is that as you have a new computer, Mail is learning which emails are likely to be junk and when it has worked this out it will show the Junk mailbox.  I have seen suggestions that iCloud junk filtering is different from junk filtering on an individual Mac, but I am not sure if this is correct.

If none of these work, are you still in the period when you can get free support from Apple?

Another line might be to post a question on the Apple Support Forum. 
Anthony Macaulay

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2016, 19:47:24 »
wow thanks guys. I just walked in from a photo tour and I am so tired I actually dont know what to do with myself. I need to re-group my braincells and start fresh tomorrow morning - trying to make sense of it all. Then I will give feedback. now I need to collapse.
Image - my guest getting right up close to the penguins. Better images to follow when I wake up

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 21:17:02 »
I'm running v45.0 and I'm using the follow add-ons...

Lightning (Calendar) may be a default.
Manually sort folders
StartupMaster

I sort my folders so the most used email accounts are at the top. I prefer POP (post office protocol) as emails are saved on my hard drive. If I accidentally delete an email I have a second chance. I've also been through a bunch of ISPs (internet service providers) and there are a few very old emails I'm keeping for odd reasons.

StartupMaster delays the password prompt until the extensions are loaded. I can't remember what this avoids but I may have had multiple prompts for passwords. It might have something to do with Google and it's "more safe logon that uses something of it's own device rather than good old SSL for security.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!