Author Topic: to Mail or to Mac mail - NOT  (Read 15903 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
to Mail or to Mac mail - NOT
« on: November 17, 2016, 13:10:35 »
Please please tell me what mail program you use - I am on a mac so would obviously only be interested in a program for Mac.

I have just about had it with Mac Mail. 
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: to Mail or to Mac mail - NOT
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 13:25:31 »
Sending and receiving through webmail mostly (Squirrelmail on my domain). Plus gmail as an alternate routing.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 14:09:28 »
I use the default mail on my MacBook Air.  On Windows10, I use Thunderbird which is the most familiar to me.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 14:10:17 »
thanks Bjorn - okey I added a poll - can be edited it anyones choice is not there
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 14:12:40 »
My biggest gripe is this damn program stacking the mails - I am loosing stuff which I find hard to find. And if ppl dont change the subject line - I have a list as long as my arm of mails all stacked

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 17:22:25 »
I'm fairly sure it's actually called 'Apple Mail'.
Yes, I use it and Yes, I dislike it.
I started using it when I got an iPhone, to take advantage of the integration between phone and computer.  That part works well.
It's graphic design, typefaces used, layout is uglier than the original Gmail, which was visually well done.
I soured on Gmail when Gmail changed from their original simple interface to a gimmicky, commercially oriented one in which Google sorted your mail into their categories.
Also, I didn't want to be logged in to Google any more than necessary.
The stacking behavior on Apple Mail is somewhat adjustable, but overall the layout, graphic look, and behavior is at least somewhat annoying.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 20:20:07 »
I'm fairly sure it's actually called 'Apple Mail'.
Yes, I use it and Yes, I dislike it.
I started using it when I got an iPhone, to take advantage of the integration between phone and computer.  That part works well.
It's graphic design, typefaces used, layout is uglier than the original Gmail, which was visually well done.
I soured on Gmail when Gmail changed from their original simple interface to a gimmicky, commercially oriented one in which Google sorted your mail into their categories.
Also, I didn't want to be logged in to Google any more than necessary.
The stacking behavior on Apple Mail is somewhat adjustable, but overall the layout, graphic look, and behavior is at least somewhat annoying.

Well put and I appreciate your comment

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 21:45:29 »
Thunderbird. OS specific email clients can never be the core strength of the supplier.
Hans Cremers

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 21:58:55 »
Thunderbird. OS specific email clients can never be the core strength of the supplier.
And it shows I think

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 22:08:26 »
Hans Cremers

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 00:39:07 »
Not on a mac, but I am still using Eudora as a  Pop-mail client, which our IT dept. told me had become incompatible (towards the google mail system we use) 10 years ago.... I only have occasional problems with non-English characters. However Google keeps changing their SSL certificates on a weekly basis these days (need a few clicks to go into menus to accept new certificates), which I suspect is only the first step to try to phase out older email clients so we will see how long it lasts. I believe Thunderbird was at least initially based on Eudora's code, but last time I looked at it (long time ago) I did not like the user interface as well as Eudora. Is Thunderbird still maintained?
Øivind Tøien

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 08:06:35 »
I have no idea about thurderbird being maintained.
I used it - but moced over to Apple Mail to have a more seamless interface - and back ups I understand are better bla bla when migrating over from one Mac to a new mac - and you have to set up everything again. But I am seriously disappointed in what I get out of it.

not being able to see whats in the spam bucket without going onto webmail is also an issue.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 08:55:35 »
For signing in to Google in the security settings there is a place to accept a supposedly less secure method. It not less secure unless maybe one is using Google to sign into other sites. It's something about a "token" and I don't use Google to sign into anything but Google.

If I remember correctly I could not sign into Gmail with Thunderbird with Google's supposedly better security. One I accepted the "less secure" SSL I'd always used everything was fine.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 09:00:36 »
Thunderbird has been spun off from Mozilla. It is still maintained at this time. I've used it for years and like it.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 09:03:03 »
I am thinking of going back on Thunderbird  - searching for an email in Apple Mail is a joke.