Author Topic: A classic asssembly of Brass, Wood and Leather.  (Read 2467 times)

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
A classic asssembly of Brass, Wood and Leather.
« on: November 13, 2016, 10:49:26 »
I photographed my first collection of Classic machines in Regent Street.
I have selected this image as it was one I recall I was not pressurised to shoot " crowd free space ".
I intend on visiting other Classic machinery over the next year, Windmills, Pumps, Steam Engines.
This is also the first time I had a SB800 in use for a non practice based session. It was set in the Mode RPT " Don,t Ask ".
I hope a little guidance can be offered to help extract a little more from the basic capture, I can then practice, as visiting some of these Classic Machines will require a fair bit of travel in a round trip.
John Gallagher

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: A classic asssembly of Brass, Wood and Leather.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 03:26:28 »
I've done a little bit of car photography, but certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert. That said, the images which seem to get the most appreciation are either views of the entire automobile, or views that focus in on one specific part. In that regard, shooting a DX camera, I've had good luck with the Nikon 12-24mm f/4 lens for the overall shots and the 50mm f/1.4 D lens for the details. One also has to be careful photographing any reflective surface to ensure one is not taking an unintended self portrait, saves much editing time.  I hope that is helpful, again, I'm no expert, but people do seem to enjoy the images.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 04:47:51 »
A car of "back then" certainly holds much romantic charm. And tis one is no different - truly beautiful.

Car photography of this nature is (for me) the most frustrating thing ever due to the fact that the cars are on top of one another and people all over the place. I take my hat of to anyone who can shoot in these situations.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 04:53:35 »
I don't have anything to advice for the subject (much like any other ones!).  I will just look forward to seeing more of your results.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 10:29:54 »
Thank You for your responses to my request for critique.
Arthur, these were very unusual conditions to photograph in, I would imagine a paparazzi shooting condition, all hustle and bustle, with smartphones being pushed out next to your ears capturing images and hoards of spectators with their own intentions, none DSLR friendly.
So it was get set up, focus, wait, get pushed/barged apologised to and then snap a image, a remnant of ones leg in the image is a good result.
Elsa, In my view this a period when the automobile was at its absolute infancy, the design was more about how to make a vehicle resemble a elegant carriage minus the horse, it worked a treat, the finest upholstery / carpentry and coach paint all adorned in polished brass.
Long may the labour of love in restoration live on.
Akira, I intend on visiting throughout 2017 a variety of events and structures, I will post images of my discoveries.   

John Gallagher

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:25:11 »
Akira, I intend on visiting throughout 2017 a variety of events and structures, I will post images of my discoveries.

Tanks.  I will stay tuned!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira