Author Topic: One of the best Photoshop alternatives has arrived on Windows  (Read 6927 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
http://petapixel.com/2016/11/10/affinity-photo-now-windows-get-free-beta/

One of the most highly regarded Photoshop alternatives is now available on Windows. Affinity Phototoday launched its free public beta for Windows users, allowing anyone to download the popular pro photo editing software.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: One of the best Photoshop alternatives has arrived on Windows
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 17:26:42 »
Thanks for the link, Elsa. I will try it.

The link you gave didn't work with me, this one did:   http://petapixel.com/2016/11/10/affinity-photo-now-windows-get-free-beta/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 17:32:08 »
Thanks John - I fixed the link
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 23:52:09 »
I had a quick play a few minutes ago.
Interesting program.
Not very intuitive to use, but once most of the tools are found, it starts to make more sense.
My major gripe ATM is that you open a file to work on and nothing happens for about 20sec or so.
It feels as tho your mouse clicks haven't registered to open the file, but it's just loading in the background(D800E NEF).
The natural thing to do is to attempt the mouse clicks again, which could cause issues .. but I waited and then (as said) about 20 or so sec later the image renders on screen.
They should have an animated icon or something to indicate that the program is working in the background.

Images stored on a fast SSD, and most of my software(VNX2/CNX2 .. even CNX-D) loads the image on screen either instantly or in a few secs .. so just not used to such a delay to render a file.

Otherwise it's quite speedy in the way it generally operates.

The other issue I don't like is the lack of a zoom factor indicator.
I have a keyboard with a zoom slider that I rely on heavily and use a lot and with all other programs I know at what % level I have currently set. There's no indication of such in Affinity.

Apart from those small gripes, it looks quite interesting.
Arthur

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 00:28:08 »
A massive install (>220 MB) made me suspicious. The need for adding another bug- and security-flawed .NET version would pave way for an endless sequence of future update patches. OK, give the program a chance. Installed and launched it, but it now demands I have to forego my graphics interface and run an Aero theme otherwise the program wouldn't run at all. No way. I cannot accept being held hostage with a pistol to my head in this manner.

Thus, "the best Photoshop alternative" lasted < 3 minutes on my machine before I had uninstalled it and removed everything.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 02:16:16 »
Aero is needed for old windows 7 in the Beta version of Affinity because of a Microsoft bug forcing use of some old legacy graphics driver which whacks Affinity performance. I'm not sure about newer Win versions? My understanding is that the Aero restriction will be eventually removed? But everyone should recheck all this directly with Affinity because it has been a while since I looked into this.

It might be nice to simply turn Aero on for 5 minutes and run Affinity to see what's there out of sheer curiosity. It has more tools than I've ever seen !!

I totally agree with Arthur King that Affinity is non-intuitive. "-) I've worked through some of it but would like to find a nice book or e-book about it. (No videos. Vids are sooooo sloooooow.)

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 07:32:02 »
Thanks for the link Elsa.

Installed on Windows 10 64bits without issue. Image loading looks slow, but as noted by Arthur it is partially because nothing happens for a while. Seems an able program, will give it a further try.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 08:17:21 »
I am just the messenger :)

I still use Photoshop (CS6)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 09:36:25 »
I use CC as well, which is a drawback for other software ;)

Agree with Arthur on the non-message when loading.  Some actions take unexpectedly some time,  some not.

The program opens when opening a RAW file, in a kind of developing mode, which is the same process as with ACR. With limited options as I could see.  It will take some time to find out what the sliders really do, it's not really exact science in all cases.    What I couldn't find in the short time I spend with the software,  define brushes,  Free transfer skew of images and some other stuff I use a lot in CC. 

The program is in general not slow on my computer.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 07:03:06 »
A massive install (>220 MB) made me suspicious. ....

On my (Win10) PC, the size of Affinity as a program on disk is 954Mb!

A curiosity I noted whilst playing and delving into it a bit.
You can save files to a .afphoto file format which works strangely.

On a (sample) Sigma X3F file of about 4Mp/7Mb, the resultant .afphoto save file turns out to be 69Mb. I initially misread that as 69Kb, thinking it's some kind of sidecar xml type file to store edit data.

BUT(the strange part), on my D800E NEF files, of about 36Mp/80+Mb, the resultant .afphoto save files also result in a 69Mb file size!

AND! .. it get stranger on a puny D70s 6Mp/5Mb NEF file, where the resultant .afphoto save file is 121Mb!

and there's no speed advantage in operating on smaller old files either. D70s raw files took as long to open and as quick for operations as D800 files do.
Not used to that for example in CNX2, where there is a noticeable difference if you open a D70s vs D800 raw file.

I'm curious as to what they add/compress to achieve this file size irrespective of the source file used.

And I also have a couple of Sigma DP Quattro sample images(again I'm just curious) .. and Affinity really has a lot of trouble rendering them with any detail .. much more than ACR/Lr does.
On initial opening at full view (approx 16% view) the images look OK ish and better rendered than ACR/Lr did.
But start zooming in to study pixel level details, and at about 50% the rendering falls into a hole, and beyond that up to 100% pixel zoom .. the devil takes over and it looks like a bad attempt at upscaling to 1000%
Sigma users would probably be best advised to avoid at the raw file level.

Probably the most annoying aspect of it's lack of intuitive workflows is the way you save/develop/move from one tab to another system.

On opening the program you're greeted with nothing other than a blank workspace. A file browser would be ideal here. You're automatically sent into a Photo Persona tab here.
Open a file using the open dialogue, haven't tried jpgs yet tho only raws, and it takes you into the develop persona tab. Up to now, it makes sense.
Problem is when you want to save your work. You can't. It's not obvious how too, but hover your mouse over the Export Persona and it seems obvious .. but it's not.
If you click that Export Persona, it throws a message to save your develop session .. but not how too!
The develop persona tab is highlighted blue, and there's a cancel tab next to it. What you HAVE to do is click the develop tab to save it.
If that's not unituitive, I can't understand what else could be.
They should at least name that blue tab [save develop] or [commit develop] or something similar to sync with their other naming conventions. Once the blue develop tab is clicked, you can then navigate to one of the other tabs offered without fear of losing your work.

It took me 4 tries to finally get some success. From there I then went into the Liquify persona and played a little, click to the Liquify tab to commit it .. and so on.

Once you know this system it's OK, and you get on with it .. but for would be customers which is what this free beta release is really all about .. probably not really a good start to capture them.

I have to say too, I did have some fun liquifying an image so easily .. something I massively struggled with in Ps(when I had it loaded .. never again!)
I don't normally edit photos in this manner, but a couple of times now in recent times I've tried to help out others in editing graphics.

Not too long ago, I spent most of a day trying to edit a PNG file for my sister. She had one designed, and asked if I could tweak it for her.
Had Ps loaded at that stage, so why not. Most frustrating experience ever!
I couldn't figure out how to separate 4 or 5 easily separable elements to tweak each one individually.
Ps, may be a great and powerful program, but it's designers suck massively at making something easy to use.
After many hours not achieving anything, I opened PaintDotNet and had a go with that.
No experience with PDN either, but in a few minutes I had a handle on how to separate the 4 or 5 elements, and in a few more minutes had it tweaked. In an hour, I emailed a few variations to sis, and she had what she wanted.

I have no issues with hard to use programs per se, but at least make the tools available to do their thing easily accessible

zero experience in Ps, PaintDotNet, and Affinity, I rate PaintDotNet the easiest to get results quickly.
Affinity next up, and what appears to have a fair bit more power to do 'stuff'.
Ps = BS! :D

Arthur

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 09:25:57 »
Not everyone would agree with your last assessment :D Thanks anyway for your Affinity user report.

Photoshop might  be overwhelming at first, but that is mainly because it can do so many things. Most files only require a small subset of all its features though, and once you get into a work flow, PS becomes second nature. It also really allows the extensive use of keyboard shortcuts for a effortless operation without all the mouse use.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 09:48:28 »
Thanks for your analyse Arthur.  Very useful 

On my (Win10) PC, the size of Affinity as a program on disk is 954Mb!
On my PC (Win7) it is 747 MB.

Did a quick comparison at neutral settings with a Df RAW  image.    Speed of handling is about the same between CC and Aff. 

Bicubic resizing to jpg and export to web in sRGB. 

EDIT   Note that Affinity can not choose between Bicubic resizing in - smooth  and sharp.   It probably takes the smooth way.  I adapted the file in CC with the Smooth resizing. 

The difference in colour is probably due to the 'Tint' setting in the White Balance.    CC  (ACR) gives  White Balance 5050K and a +10  Tint towards the violet.    Affinity (Develop mode) gives White Balance of 5041K and a +3% Tint towards the violet.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 16:42:55 »
Gave it a try....
Similar observations as above
it is now uninstalled
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 00:29:40 »
 well, it does a few things that I can't do with LR alone.

2 captures, one sharp, one blurred, same subjekt, almost same perspektive, quick and dirty
-/-/-

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 04:12:33 »
EDIT   Note that Affinity can not choose between Bicubic resizing in - smooth  and sharp.   It probably takes the smooth way.  I adapted the file in CC with the Smooth resizing. 

Bicubic interpretation is naturally smooth. To counter this one can sharpen an image before downsamlping. In CS3 a down sample with sharpening option was added. I found it did too much sharpening for my taste and never used it.

I frequently use a very light unsharpmask first then downsample. After that I'll use Smart Sharpen followed by downsample. My final set I'll often use as light a smart sharpen as 3~5 with a 0.3 pixel radius.

The object of sharpen before downsamlping is to counter natural softening of bicubic downsamlping.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!