Author Topic: ViewNX-i problems  (Read 40053 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
ViewNX-i problems
« on: October 28, 2016, 21:30:20 »
I like to use Nikon browsers for going through the images for several reasons. One is that they follow the picture controls set in the camera. Another is that it is reasonably fast to browse and check focus quickly, and you get to see hardware details such as the active focus point, AF fine tune setting in use, etc. You cannot get all of these details in e.g. Adobe software.

However, for the past couple of years Nikon ViewNX-i has been available, it has been quite unreliable. It crashes from time to time, especially it seems to happen when accessing older directories which have seen use by Nikon ViewNX2. And sometimes when it crashes once, it will always crash when restarting the software.

I discovered a way to temporarily solve the problem of this program being in a seemingly permanent crash loop. I deleted the c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Nikon\ViewNX-i directory. After this the software seems to work normally again. For a time at least.

I always knew Nikon software had glitches, but the frequency of them occurring since ViewNX2 and Capture NX2 were discontinued, is alarming. I have to wonder if they have any competent software engineers working for them and whether they have any people whose primary task is to test and make sure that the software works correctly on any platform that is supported.

I sent Nikon a message about this, though I am not sure if it will do any good. Everyone seems to just use 3rd party software. But I want those device dependent data to be displayed when I'm browsing images.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: ViewNX-i problems
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 21:49:35 »
I've found that images that are straitened and not cropped afterwards will crash ViewNX2 and CaptureNX-D when these create thumbnail views. I've also found that Photoshop CS2 can have registration errors when I've used the Canvas Size tool so I crop periodically when using canvas size. It seems these programs don't know what to do with the extra data and there is no error trapping for this problem so they go poof! I'm surprised at the problems with CS2. I though Adobe would do better.

Is it possible that ViewNX-i has a similar problem? I tried ViewNX-i on my MAC and had problems so I copied VNX2 from an old HD and it works fine on El Capitan. ViewNX-i deletes ViewNX2 so I stopped the install back a few months ago and haven't tried it.

I've found CaptureNX-D very reliable provided I crop after straitening so I'm hoping ViewNX-i will get reliable too. I really don't like today's software that is released in beta form as a finished project. In the early days of DOS I avoided version 1.00. It seems the companies have gotten worse not better. :(

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 22:06:46 »
I was just thinking that some of my files have been created using Helicon focus stacking software. I wonder if this could somehow be producing TIFFs which the Nikon software has problems with.

I crop and straighten using Photoshop. I don't think I've used those to edit these NEF files in Nikon software but I can't be sure.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 22:19:25 »
My guess is there are limits. Measurable limits.

1) add NEF to a folder. NX-i will show the folder until the amount of NEFs exceeds a certrain limit. It is above 3000 somewhere. It does not read a folder with 8700 NEFs.

2) Same concerning amount of cached thumbnails. As soon as a certain number is exceeded *booom* and that is it. Delete Cache and you are back in business.

This all reminds me of the D70 counter. It overflowed at 64k .... everytime I hit this number. But it did not crash.

And Ilkka. No. There are either no decent engineers working at Nikon Software or they have no say....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 22:29:42 »
So if I go through a certain number of files and then it crashes due to a full cache? Is this directory specific or cumulative?

Deleting the cache didn't put me back in business this time though. I had to go into the (normally hidden) AppData directory and delete it.
I think here should be some FAQ on these issues. ;-)

I have to say that from the early user feedback on the Snapbridge application for camera - mobile device connectivity, it does seem like the managers forced the product to the market when it was nowhere near ready. What's worse, they are heavily advertising the connectivity features which depend on this application, in the marketing material for the D3400.

The early user reviews on KeyMission 360 are also crushing. All of these problems seem to be software related.

I have to wonder about Nikon managers' thinking on these topics of software testing and quality and the impact of these factors on Nikon's reputation as a brand.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 23:07:54 »
I think I discovered the primary culprit to my problem. I had > 2000 files in my directory of small jpgs that I use to post my recent work to others. It's been accumulating ...

This bug seems to exist in ViewNX2's latest version as well, but not the version before it, as far as I could tell. I kept using it as long as possible.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 12:18:13 »
This bug seems to exist in ViewNX2's latest version as well, but not the version before it, as far as I could tell. I kept using it as long as possible.

It was not only the number of files, but I tracked it down to certain files that would crash the latest version of ViewNX2. I reverted back to the next last version and it has been working fairly well since.

I have so far kept from upgrading to bodies that require ViewNXi and CNX-D. During my latest practical test I found that launching files from in CNX-D from ViewNXi will cause the former to forget to filter/select files, even if the right tags and filtering parameters remain.
Øivind Tøien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 12:50:50 »
By "deleting the Cache" I mean to dive into hidden "AppData" and delete the Cache files in "Roaming" and "Local". Frankly, I do not know another method, sorry.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

bjornthun

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 20:11:50 »

I have to say that from the early user feedback on the Snapbridge application for camera - mobile device connectivity, it does seem like the managers forced the product to the market when it was nowhere near ready. What's worse, they are heavily advertising the connectivity features which depend on this application, in the marketing material for the D3400.

The early user reviews on KeyMission 360 are also crushing. All of these problems seem to be software related.

I have to wonder about Nikon managers' thinking on these topics of software testing and quality and the impact of these factors on Nikon's reputation as a brand.
They would not want to end up like Blackberry or Nokia.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 21:30:58 »
The release of KeyMission360 was once postponed due to the delay of the software development.  Apparently the software is Nikon's major weak point.

The conventional wifi-only models seem to be orphaned.  What has become of Wireless Mobile Utility?!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

stenrasmussen

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 22:38:31 »
Does anyone truly believe that Nikon will produce an imaging software that works smoothly...ever?

bjornthun

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 22:40:16 »
Nikon seems to be struggling with both hardware and software.

I read something about a hardware issue regarding the DL series. The DL 18-50 sounds nice, but is still vapourware. :( I wonder now, if the DL series will turn out any better than the Keymission actioncameras?  ???

The former D600 & D800 issues were hardware related....

bjornthun

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 23:10:44 »
Does anyone truly believe that Nikon will produce an imaging software that works smoothly...ever?
C-NX2 worked fairly well, and I think that program would have been very stable by today, if only it hadn't been killed.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 23:22:08 »
Nikon seems to be struggling with both hardware and software.

I read something about a hardware issue regarding the DL series. The DL 18-50 sounds nice, but is still vapourware. :( I wonder now, if the DL series will turn out any better than the Keymission actioncameras?  ???

The last official news wrt DL was released on April 20th which tells that the launch of DL serirs will be postponed for an "indefinite term", because they found a "significant problem" in the image processing IC.

I had never read such a "significant" news release before.

C-NX2 worked fairly well, and I think that program would have been very stable by today, if only it hadn't been killed.

Agreed.  It was a bit slow but good enough that PS or PSE was not absolutely necessary for my use.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 23:25:12 »
In 2011-2012 they were under tremendous pressure to put out new DSLR products; the demand was high and people were expecting the D800 and D4. However, their manufacturing capability had been destroyed by three major natural disasters. I can understand why they made mistakes that then that led to quality problems in some products due to the circumstances at the time. It must have been hard to work if the roads and plumbing do not work and people are being evacuated because of radiation contamination etc.

This year there was also an earthquake, which may partly explain why some of their products are not released on schedule. But the real problem is not a delayed product but the release of  products which are obviously not properly tested (Snapbridge, Keymission). This is likely to kill the Nikon brand name and people will likely see it as something to be avoided if the current practice continues. Then they won't be able to sell their good products which do work correctly, either, since people won't trust that they will.

I don't believe the development of a browser and a raw conversion software is an insurmountable challenge for Nikon. I don't think that it is too difficult for them to develop mobile applications that control cameras and transfer images. The problem is not the development of the software per se, but the attitude of the managers that it is perfectly ok to release products which do not work yet correctly. It's not an engineering problem if you release a product that doesn't work, it shows that management is not up to their task. They make the call when to release a product.  And they've made a lot of really bad calls in recent years.

Thankfully the top of the line DSLR products and lenses seem to work as advertised, apart from Snapbridge problems reported by D500 users. I haven't run into any significant problems with their cameras, flashes or lenses myself since the D800 (mine had AF consistency issues though not the infamous "left AF" point issue).  I've been very happy with their recent products actually, but am deeply annoyed by the quality of the software that they've put out since the discontinuance of ViewNX2 and Capture NX2.

I would be happy to offer my help in testing and providing feedback on their software in my normal computing environment, but they don't seem to be interested in receiving feedback from users. I really want them to get their software right. I don't mind using Adobe tools which do work correctly apart from Lightroom which often has serious bugs, but I need to see key hardware dependent parameters that are stored in the files such as active AF point, fine tune setting, and others. I would also prefer to see the images as shot in the camera using the full picture control settings information obeyed by default by the browsers and raw converters. That these do not work in Adobe software is a major annoyance to me. I now use control points in Nik / Google plugins but their use is a lot slower than use in the Capture NX2 software and I find making local adjustments is a slow process now, and feels very primitive. The file sizes also become astronomical if I want to preserve the full bit depth and not subject my images to compression artifacts.