Author Topic: So, what would you do with it?  (Read 6191 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: So, what would you do with it?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 07:43:09 »
I still like the original crop and process.  The initial inspiration is something to be cherished.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 08:16:18 »
Ditto, the new versions looks like: too much effort in PP,,,
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 08:43:44 »
All in all the original posted picture stands out as being the most successful in my opinion. Nice to see and be able to discuss alternatives, though; such is always helpful by providing additional insights.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 09:19:50 »
This lovely photo does lend itself to alternate interpretations. I quite like the B&W version.

I also wondered if a slight recomposition might strengthen the emphasis on the mother and her son?
This is similar to the recomposition in the B&W version.
And I think yes, a bit more contrast is useful. But the colour got away from me!
Well, it was just an experiment. Thank you for letting us try some edits.  ;)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 11:56:32 »
Now I find this crop gives something extra as the viewer may connect with the image as through the eyes. The other two versions I did yesterday are just adjustments of contrast and color.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 13:11:56 »
the "holes" in the upper left are distracting.
Airy Magnien

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 15:18:27 »
Many thanks again and am very pleased that some of you posted your ideas.  I greatly appreciate the effort.   I much prefer the U-point of CNX2 (and colours from CNX2) .  Seems when I add contrast in PS CC2015 I always get the colours wrong.  In India there are so many skin colours and tones.  Really tough shooting Soccer in changing light .  In bright direct sun many of the skin tones go green.  I was surprised to see very deep black Nigerian player get heavy red in direct sun.   Some time back, The Mongo did his version of a black and white portrait of a woman I posted.  I learned a lot from his PP.

The site is maturing and I am here to learn.  There are some very good photographers here that post infrequently, or not at all, but I have seen their images on other sites.   If you do not feel like posting images you are most welcome to critique any of my images.  I have not misconceptions about my abilities.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Jim Covello

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • The Artful Engineer
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 20:55:07 »
I feel the lower part of the mother's body seen through the foliage should not be cut in any way.

+1

That is the prize for looking at the image carefully!

In fact, I might try cropping away the right-hand quarter or third of the original crop to make it taller. This gets rid of some of the light space behind her head and retains the dress subtly peaking through the foliage down low.

I realize we are cropping a crop, here...