Author Topic: Decide the submission frequency for 2017  (Read 16372 times)

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: Decide the submission frequency for 2017
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 09:22:08 »
Hi Bjorn,

so it is allowed to post my daily Image in Critique ore somewhere Else? Just theoretically.... ;)

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 09:55:45 »
I haven't followed the daily blogs much because of lack of time, so this takes me somewhat by surprise. Could someone name the thread where quality is below threshold and therefore led to the proposed policy changes?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 10:00:43 »
Hear, hear the arrogance that crept into this discussion is despicable, you just want to kill the beast and the ones that faithfully contributed their efforts on the pyre with it, suggesting it was all bad out there, ...
You should be quiet in the first place, thank you mam.
Please be so kind and elaborate as to what and who you are referring. Thank you.
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 10:12:45 »
Hi Bjorn,

so it is allowed to post my daily Image in Critique ore somewhere Else? Just theoretically.... ;)

Harald

Of course. Potentially more useful if receiving comments and critique is important.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 10:16:12 »
I haven't followed the daily blogs much because of lack of time, so this takes me somewhat by surprise. Could someone name the thread where quality is below threshold and therefore led to the proposed policy changes?

The admins all agree the concept needs a brushing up and refinement. The current suggestion is an attempt in that direction.

One has to strike a balance between the wishes of an  individual and the benefits of the greater community here. So there will be a change. The members can help decide the details for that forthcoming revised format.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 15:32:30 »
I am subsciber to a daily newspaper  John, one of our regulars at 366/1 and Chis work for daily blogs or newspapers. IMO it does not raise the quality to reduce the frequency.

There are bad newspapers and good ones and even the best newspapers have bad contributers and even the best contributers have a bad day sometimes.

One picture per week is a completely different format.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 16:56:26 »
As a daily contributor I feel personally attacked  and insulted.

Not a word of appreciation to all the participants after 293 days of contributing; instead the announcement that 'quality' suffers, there is too much 'noise' and a nasty comparison to 'Facebook and Instagram'.

This is censorship. Nothing more, nothing less.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 17:09:10 »
It is quite a task one takes on, when trying to take and post a picture every day. I am trying it my self, but I have decided to publish my pictures on my personal blog to avoid to spam the forum. If I am lucky I can spend two hours in between work and the kids activities and it is impossible to avoid posting thrash pictures. But I have decided to try and see if I can manage a full 365 days. Quality suffers but hopefully I can learn a thing or two, at least about my self :)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 18:12:26 »
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about what the Crew* is attempting to do here. I truly do not think that anyone should take this personally. There is no intent for censorship or insult. The Crew is simply trying to think ahead about the greater good of the forum. So let's all contribute to the discussion without accusations or anger. And remember that we are a multi-lingual group attempting to use English as a common language. Thank you.  ;D ;D ;D

Now -- about these blog-like topics. I've been thinking this through.

When we have blog topics where multiple members contribute multiple photos per day, that topic soon eats up server space and bandwidth. Your multiple contributions are lost when placed in such threads because they cannot be searched out either by name or by topic title. Your contributions are worth more to Nikongear than that! However, the Crew is still willing to let you have a multiple contributor topic, but it must be subject to some curation to keep the length under control. There is nothing objectionable about attempting to control server costs for a non-profit forum. Nobody here is getting paid to run this forum. We are all volunteers.

And -- about submission quality. I've been thinking this through also.

The Theme topics ( which feature a maximum of one contribution per day per person) are successful and popular because the Theme of the submission is well-defined. The length of Theme topics is self-regulating. And the quality of Theme topics is self-regulating because nobody wants to post bad photos to a Theme thread, only their good ones. And photographs may be searched for based on the Theme title.

Threads started by an individual member such as Image-a-Day or Image-a-Week are successful and popular because the Contributor is curating their own submissions for quality. Sifting through one's own work to find and present the best of it in a Portolio setting is a task which contributes to our photographic growth. And naturally the length of IaD or IaW topics is self-regulating.

Now -- after you think about server space, bandwidth, photos getting "lost" in long threads, working in Theme mode, working in Portfolio mode AND, finally, Presentation of your Best Work, please contribute some thoughts on how the Crew can best regulate blog-like topics which feature multiple-contributors-of-multiple-photos.

*I'm Boffin, not Crew.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 18:36:51 »
Thanks for the explanation Andrea

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 18:59:16 »
Could I draw attention to the way some possible choices affect film users?  In order to reduce costs I try to process several rolls at once, typically once a month or so.  That means I have long periods when I do not have new photographs and short periods when I do.  So a rule allowing small numbers of photographs to be posted often - one a week, eg - works less well for me than a rule allowing the same cumulative number of photographs over a longer period of time - four a month, eg.  I would prefer that also because, quite apart from the film vs digital workflow, I think linked micro-collections are more meaningful - and more challenging - than single images.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2016, 19:04:16 »
Les, why not consider posting these collections to another board on NG? The general posting rules *outside* the 'Daily blog' board are quite relaxed as you can post up to 10 images in a single post given their total size is less than the current limit (10 MB).

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2016, 19:20:51 »
I understand everybody's reason for what they want and why - and likewise I have my own reasons too -
I simply dont have time to go thru a thread which is updated all the time with everyone's images - x amount of members posting daily in one thread - so I am frustrated as I know I am missing some really good images. For me personally a thread with less images - perhaps one's one best one biweekly - will be great. Then there is no reason why the rest cant be posted in other threads - One can even start your own  eg : "elsa's thread of daily pics" which measn those who care to follow just me - can find my images quickly. but thats just ME. I am not participating in that thread at present - but would posisbly do so if it is biweekly. Not as it is now. Just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.
On a final note - I am happy with whatever is decided. It's not a big deal to me. World War II was a bigger deal. People died.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2016, 20:17:37 »
I will adapt to the rules, like creating a two person throw-ball-picture-blog, trying to answer to my thread partners posts like 1,3,5,... I post and 2,4,6,... John posts.

For my California Travel log I asked the people I met on my journey to contribute to the thread
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2016, 09:03:41 »
Multiple-person blogging in one thread is what needs to be fixed. Thus planning a new multiple-person blog is missing the point entirely. Photography forums aren't really the place for blogs. Photography forums are more like gallery space where you select your best work to hang on the walls for discussion and critique.