Author Topic: Decide the submission frequency for 2017  (Read 16550 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Decide the submission frequency for 2017
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 21:15:57 »
It is a central part of the NG philosophy that submitted content should preferably stay available.

Thus actively deleting content is not going to happen. The exception of course being with stuff that is in violation of site guide lines; however, such posts are a negligible minority.

The problem of information glut has to be addressed in an earlier stage, namely, trying to prevent it from taking place in the first place.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 21:17:52 »
I agree with the spirit behind the proposal to change the format.
I have not participated - or followed - the thread much but it is likely I would do it more if the proposed changes take place.
There is nothing stopping anyone opening a personal thread and updating it every day with new pictures if they so wish.
Well, that would lack the community.
It also suggests that some 'grass rooting' is OK to get to the desired result.

I understand the desire for quality. Appreciate it in fact.
Still I feel like something is taken away and a loss.
I'd like a more differenciated approach, educational low frequency - high quality, pic exchange only in one thread, competition and rating in another, plus open, high frequency, low lifetime (like a modified each day)... just my five cents.

[edit]sorry, passed Bjørns post. I learned in my professional life that strict deletion in certain short living areas helps keeping everything else clean of debris, rubbish and grass root grow. Well, not my decision, just my offering. [/edit]

-/-/-

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 21:30:57 »
The only aspect "taken away" is treating NG as an arena for which anything goes. NG is not Facebook or Instagram. One could instead say we are inducing a better sense of how photography works as a vehicle of visual expression.

Contributors need to be more conscious as to the quality of their work. That is the simple fact underlying the proposed change(s). Lower posting rates in a theme thread means more time can be spent enjoying and discussing the pictures. Ranking images against each other in a kind of contest is not what we envision. Thus no contests and no competition for "best" submission.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 21:34:39 »
I can say yes to that ;)

Also: Repeat Bullet point from post one;

No contest as such is implied. The contributions will not be ranked.
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 23:48:02 »
I believe it should be more a matter of self discipline than the application of mechanical rules.  Self discipline could avoid falling into what I call the "Californian Syndrome".
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

stenrasmussen

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 23:58:52 »
This is a good thing for NG.
I for one observe enough Snapchat/Instagram "noise" through this household's teenager's activity. Knowing I don't have to encounter a similar haste here brings comfort.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 00:07:19 »
I agree with the spirit behind the proposal to change the format.
I have not participated - or followed - the thread much but it is likely I would do it more if the proposed changes take place.
There is nothing stopping anyone opening a personal thread and updating it every day with new pictures if they so wish.
My thoughts exactly.  I voted weekly, but a longer interval would be OK.  I don't even turn on the desktop [photo] computer every day.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 00:08:28 »
I believe it should be more a matter of self discipline than the application of mechanical rules.  Self discipline could avoid falling into what I call the "Californian Syndrome".
Please tell more about the Californian Syndrome?  If possible...
EDIT: OK, I get it.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 00:37:21 »
Most votes are for weekly submissions.
I see that only as an addition, not as a restriction.
I for one will be judging those weekly images with pleasure as I have and as I will continue to do so everywhere else. Life is a contest :)

May I contribute some colors symbolically with an image I made in Florence.
Do you see the gate or do you see the garden.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 00:54:03 »
Lovely color.  The garden.

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 01:21:29 »
 :-[

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 01:34:02 »
Please tell more about the Californian Syndrome?  If possible...
EDIT: OK, I get it.

;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 03:16:30 »
Hear, hear the arrogance that crept into this discussion is despicable, you just want to kill the beast and the ones that faithfully contributed their efforts on the pyre with it, suggesting it was all bad out there, ...
You should be quiet in the first place, thank you mam.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 05:35:06 »
The idea of the 'Daily blog' has been given opportunity to prove itself in practice. It does not work well for the site as a whole.

Thus, an adjustment of the format is called for. This poll and any discussion in its wake are the necessary steps to iterate to a hopefully better approach. It should be possible to discuss these matters in a civil, helpful manner.

The 'Daily blog' will be allowed to run its course and thus end at 31 Dec, 2016.

So far the majority of [voting] members are in favour of weekly entries. The poll will run for some while to see whether the result stands.

If we decide to switch to the format 'one image per week', this will entail starting each new period on a Monday. A quick glance of the calender shows we then commence the new format  Monday 2 Jan, 2017. Each period is self-contained and thus independent of any others.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 05:53:21 »
Just to make sure: this discussion relates to the required change of the 'Daily blog' format only. It has no influence whatsoever on other areas of NG.

Thus, feel free to post as before. There is no restriction as such on members' productivity. All we ask is that members should think twice before they post images, which is a helpful practice anyway.