Author Topic: PhotoRec  (Read 2966 times)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
PhotoRec
« on: October 16, 2016, 09:08:07 »
I accidently formatted a Sd card this morning, confusing the one card with the other, Df or D500,
i agreed to use the Lexar xqd and sd in the D500, the Sandisk in the Df, makes sense.
Anyway i came across this freeware program called PhotRec, rescued all my files, perfect.
Recommended i dare say, http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: PhotoRec
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 09:24:19 »
Good to know.
I have had Sandisk Rescue Pro successfully recover NEF files from a card after it was accidentally formatted.  A couple of files, out of several hundred, came out corrupted, and all lost their original filenames. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

jpgrahn

• NG Member
  • -
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 21:46:42 »
Thanks for the help with this!
I formatted the card from my D800 by mistake before the  import.
The tip to use PhotoRec was just what I needed.
Recovered all of today's pictures. And more.

Tried with Image Rescue 3 at first but only got a partial recovery.

Thanks!

Johan Grahn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 08:54:36 »
The important thing is if a card is formatted of files are deleted that are needed is do not use the card anymore until the files you need are restored.

Accidents happen. To reduce the chance l upload all images and then use sync software to contribute the new files to an additional HD in my primary computer and one in my second computer. That's​ three copies right at the start. I set the sync program to require me to confirm over writes as a protection against over writing a good file with one that could be corrupted. I review the photographs on the primary HD and only then will I deleted or format the original files on a memory card. It's not a perfect system but it's pretty good.

Dave Hartman

[It's above but to be clear a sync program when set to "sync" will delete files automatically from the backup HD. An accidentally delete file from the primary HD will be deleted from backup HD(s) and will be gone forever. If it's set to "contribute" the sync program isn't syncing it simply add new files without deleting anything so an accidentally deleted file from primary HD can be restored.

When over-writes require confirmation you've got a opportunity find out why the one on the primary HD is different from the one on the backup HD. The chance is the one on the primary HD is modified or possibly corrupted so you very likely should restore the one on the backup HD to the primary HD.

Using straight sync in my thinking is quite dangerous.]
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

jpgrahn

• NG Member
  • -
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 18:40:31 »
I think it was momentary confusion.
I know what I need to do. I just didn't do it!
It's no good to watch a movie at the same time as I unload a card from the camera.
Noted.
Johan Grahn

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 11:28:02 »
To give an additional chance against Murphy, I only format my cards when they are needed again; giving some more time.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 12:08:09 »
My policy is never to format cards unless they are filled to very near capacity, and then only after dumping the content to a scratch disk drive dedicated to the purpose. The disk drive is backed up then stored in a safe place.

Before any major trip I clean out a sufficient storage capacity that way, then put these cards into a designated contained signalling they now can be formatted if I require the added capacity on that trip.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 13:35:05 »
I know what I need to do. I just didn't do it!

That sometimes sums up my life.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 21:00:26 »
I just rescue photos/videos from my previous phone s  SD card
Thank you!