Author Topic: Sunrise at the Dark Side of the Moon  (Read 9912 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Sunrise at the Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 19:49:31 »
Wow. Cannot see it yet.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 20:14:44 »
My point here, Frank, is you cannot provide a quick-and-dirty recipe to show how a given scene is to be transformed into a photograph. I have nothing against telling exactly how this photo came into existrence, but to what ends?

The eyes see the scene elements, the brain does the pre-visualisation, and the camera and its lens register your idea. How is that to be conveyed in a meaningful step-by-step cooking-book like description?

As I stated earlier, we are effectively *blind* unless we allow ourselves to forego any preset ideas for whatever potential a scene has, and start discovering it instead. There is nothing more boringly unproductive for a photographer than stating "there is nothing to shoot here" or "I have shot this scene before, now let's move on".

In fact, the oldest trick in the book when you feel uninspired and apparently cannot make a photo, is just sitting still at a given spot and don't think of anything at all. Sooner or later your mind begins to connect to the surroundings and ideas of images commence to appear out of the blue. Trust me, I have done that so many times myself to know this always works  if you just allow yourself the required time, be it 5 minutes or 5 hours.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 20:23:28 »
I call it "going into the foto trance".

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 23:29:19 »
I will post a tread with a photo that I pulled from a reality I was very
conscious about. It perfectly pictures my subconscious good wishes
here the camera was more of an extension of my feelings than an
instrument of realizing a previsualized content. I am sure it will be very controvercial.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 23:31:19 »
Yes, please do, Frank. We need photos that break out of the box.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 23:39:38 »
Done

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 00:17:22 »
Inspiring and fascinating work Bjorn.

Anything's possible with Pink Floyd, though I think Dave Gilmours "Castellorizon" from his album "On An Island" suits this image perfectly  :)
Tony Oaten

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 05:37:30 »
These re-posted threads get even better than the original.  :)

My take: Could the  great Jupiter be the  flare inside the lens since we are in IR, thus created "out of this world".  What cause the flare could be a reflection in the surface of the coffee cup (which is out of focus), but there are many other possibilities (for instance light coming in from the side) and the stripes on Jupiter could be a pattern of something much closer to the lens than the focus point, but of what I am uncertain, possibly at the surface of the coffe cup. And it could be helped by movement and long exposure time (The edge of Jupiter would still be sharp as the lens does not move relative to the sensor). A hand is probably also involved in creating slots for the space ship etc. Could the space ship itself be a piece of the newspaper; it appears almost in focus? The origin of the stars has already been stated so there is no need for breadcrumbs.
Øivind Tøien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 10:12:20 »
You got a major component right, Øivind. And no, it's not the coffee cup, as it is well outside the field of view.

Exposure time is very short. Remember this is an f/0.75 lens so lots of light get through.

The discussion is illuminating as it were. Like trying to predict a Black Swan.

Had I shown the entire scene, it still would not have made much sense in explaining how the picture originated, as you don't observe it through the 'alienator' (Rodenstock lens) and its twists on 'reality'.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 10:19:44 »
To illustrate my point (again), here are the Master Foo Fighters;

A clinical analysis would be I had captured two stems of the grass Deschampsia cespitosa rubbing against each other in the wind. Or maybe they really are the *Foo Fighters* ??

Exactly the same setup as in the 'Sunrise at the Dark side of the Moon', by the way.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 11:53:55 »
Yes, I gather I got the IR flare right, with the rest to be the creation of the moment. (The Jupiter stripes could have something to do with wood structure in the table, but at this point I am not sure I want to know the whole story, it would sort of take the magic out of it...)
Øivind Tøien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 15:44:41 »
Ain't that the truth ...

As image makers we shouldn't have a pressure to "explain" everything, should we? Seeing is believing.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 15:52:14 »

Had I shown the entire scene, it still would not have made much sense in explaining how the picture originated, as you don't observe it through the 'alienator' (Rodenstock lens) and its twists on 'reality'.

But to the 'alienator', our perception of reality is twisted. 

"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 16:28:38 »
In the present situation 'it' is the dominator and stamps the image according to its whims.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 16:31:40 »
In the present situation 'it' is the dominator and stamps the image according to its whims.

History is written by the conqueror and not the vanquished ... 
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.