Author Topic: California 2016. SF and LA and more  (Read 63805 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: California 2016. SF and LA and more
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2016, 00:46:44 »
Frank, no image can be seen in any of three latest posts.  Unfortunately the server problem seems to persist on your side...

Does it work now? I experienced some technical problems that might or might not have bveen connected to the server trouble. Currently everything seems to work alright again.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2016, 00:52:46 »

This was in one of the earliest Missions used by the Spanish to colonize California. I sat with Gary in this little chapel and was impressed by the Aura of this statue. It felt completely loaded by all the people touching it and sending their wishes to god. It felt very much like A Buddha sitting in a temple. Watching it I tried to figure out how to take an effective photo of it that transports the mystery I experienced...

Does it work for you?

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2016, 02:26:41 »
I will be in San Francisco for just a short time, from Nov 1st thru 3rd (the latter being my birthday). I have not decided if I am bringing the Df yet (my other options are Nikon D5500 but if I was going to carry that I would bring the Df, or Sony NEX-7, or Sony RX-100 IV). Given my limited time, I might opt for the little Sony. Although I might be taking pictures AT might meeting (its very interactive). So still up in the air.  Many years ago I lived in San Francisco in the Marina district, Filmore Street.  A beautiful city for photography and food!

Cheers,
Rob.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2016, 02:36:04 »
I will be in San Francisco for just a short time, from Nov 1st thru 3rd (the latter being my birthday). I have not decided if I am bringing the Df yet (my other options are Nikon D5500 but if I was going to carry that I would bring the Df, or Sony NEX-7, or Sony RX-100 IV). Given my limited time, I might opt for the little Sony. Although I might be taking pictures AT might meeting (its very interactive). So still up in the air.  Many years ago I lived in San Francisco in the Marina district, Filmore Street.  A beautiful city for photography and food! Cheers, Rob.

I found that the starck light of california calls for base ISO & f=8 because even the 1/8000 s of my D500 maxes out so fast, not to mention the 1/4000 s of the D600

My beloved shooting at wide apertures finds its limit very fast.
My last post for today. Need some sleep:

Magnolia trees as impressive backdrop for a downtown LA high key street shot (and alt edit):

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2016, 03:16:35 »
Does it work now? I experienced some technical problems that might or might not have bveen connected to the server trouble. Currently everything seems to work alright again.

Both posts in question work now as well as the latest ones!  Great to see the faces of U.S. folks of NG!  Thanks, Frank!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2016, 08:23:27 »
I found that the starck light of california calls for base ISO & f=8 because even the 1/8000 s of my D500 maxes out so fast, not to mention the 1/4000 s of the D600...

...Magnolia trees as impressive backdrop for a downtown LA high key street shot (and alt edit):
The light was very stark...brutally so...on the day I spent with Frank and Gary.  Absolute clear sky and hot sun...and about 95ºF/35ºC.  The Europeans are lucky to have their frequent clouds.
Frank:  Fascinating tonal rendering of the [color] magnolia trees. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2016, 10:50:57 »
Keith, the Magnolias felt and feel like arms spawning from the ground reaching up to the sky.

The somewhat dirty street scene adds to that impression.

Here a short time frame, there a huge time span.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2016, 01:26:13 »
A hot day in downtown LA
I decided for fast primes, a Circular Polarizer and shooting directly into the light

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2016, 01:52:15 »
Disney Concert hall

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2016, 11:43:28 »
Hi Frank,

interesting  and insightful travelling impressions!

I sympathise with your dilemma of enjoying the trip while longing to share your impressions online. Last year in Canada I was in a very similar situation: all day long on the road and at least two hours each evening spent on editing and uploading pictures to a blog for the family (just vacation snapshots, hardly up to the standards of this forum).

@italian Food: I experienced a similar desaster another few years back in San Francisco. It was in the supposedly Italian part of downtown and after two weeks of cheap fast food, I longed for some real food. The presentation of the food was top notch, same as the service and the price, but the Lasagne was obviously micro waved to death. Gruesome!  :(
Just bad luck. I was way more fortunate when I went for Chinese food in China Town.

If I gleaned correctly, your flight back will start today. Wishing you a good flight!
Maybe after thoroughly reviewing your pictures you will have some more "gems" to share.

Looking forward to some more highlight pictures,
Guenther
Guenther Something

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2016, 12:47:08 »
Hi Guenther!

We flew back last Sunday, arrived 10:00 O'Clock German time @home, but my body is still confused.

I love it that you changed your surname to "something" ... reminds me of the first song on the album "Abbey Road" by the Beatles!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2016, 12:52:57 »
Disney Concert hall

Oh, I love Frank Gehry's design!  Thanks for sharing!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2016, 12:56:30 »
Oh, I love Frank Gehry's design!  Thanks for sharing!

I am still working on a special treat, but not yet fully satisfied with the result. Look:

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2016, 13:32:26 »
new edit of Kons Golden Gate bridge shot (old edit for reference below)
please comment & inspire me!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2016, 14:05:53 »
new edit of Kons Golden Gate bridge shot (old edit for reference below)
please comment & inspire me!

In this particular case, I prefer the new version.  The rather artificial color (at least on my monitor) looks like those of picture books, which is appropriate for this somewhat enigmatic image.