Author Topic: Sold: Rodenstock heligon 42mm f/0.75  (Read 3128 times)

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Sold: Rodenstock heligon 42mm f/0.75
« on: October 06, 2016, 04:16:24 »
Hi Folks,
I've got this lens that I've had for ages.  It's one that Bjorn didn't beat me to on ebay!  haha!  I've got another  mounted for nikon (mount glued on) and this one that I'd like to sell, which has no mount.  The lens is pristine. 

No idea what they are worth...???  is it ok for me to ask for an offer?

Best

Brent

Thanks Jakov! 

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Rodenstock heligon 42mm f/0.75
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 09:19:53 »
Brent, is the image circle large enough for full frame sensors or do you use it on Nikon 1 series cameras?
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 17:40:16 »
I've got one as well. The image circle is large enough for full frame and it makes the bokeh & aberration rich images similar to other Rodenstock lenses though it should be noted that when the lens is held flush to the Nikon F mount maximum focus distance is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 inches/10 cm from the front of the lens. Very short working distance.

That said you may be able to remove the rear lens group and get some more working distance out of it, I've had success doing this with other fast 42mm lenses, haven't tried it with the Heligon 42mm yet. 

I bought mine several years ago for $50-$75 if I remember correctly. They are listed on ebay quite often for $200-$300 which I think is certainly over priced considering the very short working distance.

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 23:22:11 »
Jakov,
Charlie has it there.  Short working distance, interesting results.  attached is an image from the identical lens that I glued an F mount to.  Unedited.  D700. 

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 23:36:19 »
Jakov is very interested!
If nobody wants it, I'll take it  ;D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 07:02:54 »
There are a number of similar lenses from Rodenstock: 42/0.75, 50/0.75, 68/1.0, 95/1.4, 120/1.8.   A few of them are evaluated here: http://www.muellerworld.com/exhibits/fast_lens/.  Keep in mind that mounting the lens farther from the sensor than the rather short design distance will reduce the effective aperture, so you may not get quite the outrageously wide aperture you think you're getting.