Author Topic: Lock that "L"!  (Read 11469 times)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Lock that "L"!
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2016, 00:48:40 »
I'm right-eyed by preference/convenience, but can switch easily if needed.
 I constantly trigger the menu or sometimes the playback button on my D800. 
Never happened on the old, much missed, but under-pixeled D3.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 02:10:05 »
[..] I always depend on AF or the focus aid in the optical viewfinder.  And thus I always use the 4-way switch to move the single AF point around.

Sometimes I feel pressed, because I cannot move the AF point, and the 4-way switch doesn't respond.  Then I find that the "L" lever around the switch is inadvertently set to "L" position, which happens every one in a while.
My usage with the D600 is very similar. I mostly use manual focus lenses and use the matte focus screen as much as possible, but often end up having to move the AF point around and use the "green dot" focus confirmation. It's not an ideal solution but can help when lighting conditions are poor and accurate focusing using the matte screen is not possible. Even then I am not always convinced it is entirely accurate. I recently took some pictures in a forest with my AIS 35/1.4 at f/2.8. Lighting was dim and even after multiple attempts using the green dot I am not sure I nailed the focus. Maybe my lens is not sharp? I should have tried live view but that's tricky when shooting hand-held from a swing-bridge. Maybe time to buy an AF lens :o :o

As for which eye to use, I am right-eye dominant, but my left eye sees a little more clearly so I often focus and compose using the right eye, and do a quick check with the left before taking the picture. So far I have not locked the AF point by accident, but it is a useful reminder if it ever happens.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 04:00:38 »
I'm right-eyed by preference/convenience, but can switch easily if needed.
 I constantly trigger the menu or sometimes the playback button on my D800. 
Never happened on the old, much missed, but under-pixeled D3.

The increased amount of buttons results in the more confined layouts, which may lead to the accidental operation.  I personally doubt the need of "I" button in addition to "my menu" function.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 04:11:53 »
My usage with the D600 is very similar. I mostly use manual focus lenses and use the matte focus screen as much as possible, but often end up having to move the AF point around and use the "green dot" focus confirmation. It's not an ideal solution but can help when lighting conditions are poor and accurate focusing using the matte screen is not possible. Even then I am not always convinced it is entirely accurate. I recently took some pictures in a forest with my AIS 35/1.4 at f/2.8. Lighting was dim and even after multiple attempts using the green dot I am not sure I nailed the focus. Maybe my lens is not sharp? I should have tried live view but that's tricky when shooting hand-held from a swing-bridge. Maybe time to buy an AF lens :o :o

I suspect that the focus error of 35/1.4 at f2.8 is also caused by the focus shift.  Apparently many fast lenses (f1.8 and faster) shows the most obvious focus shift between f2.0 and F2.8, which contradicts the "green dot" confirmation only functions with the lens wide open.

Unfortunately Nikon DSLRs (I don't know about the cameras of other manufactures) don't allow neither AF or MF-aid with the stop-down button pushed.  Considering that the AF sensors are optimize for f2.8 or f5.6, stop-down AF/MF-aid would be beneficial for fast lenses.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2016, 04:33:53 »
Yes focus shift could be the problem, that agrees with my results - focus plane a little behind where I wanted it.

How to solve this problem? Is it possible to focus manually in live view while pressing DOF preview?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 04:54:56 »
Yes focus shift could be the problem, that agrees with my results - focus plane a little behind where I wanted it.

How to solve this problem? Is it possible to focus manually in live view while pressing DOF preview?

Basically the lens will always be stopped down to the aperture value you set before you switch the camera to the live view mode.  With the non-CPU Ai/Ais lenses, you can adjust the aperture while in live view mode.  You can thus focus with the working aperture without affected by the focus shift.

D750 and newer (and higher-end) models allows the adjustment of the aperture using the command dial in live view mode, which were not possible with older bodies (maybe except for D4S?).

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 23:08:53 »
Thanks. I think I should try live view more often, I'm always nervous that it drains batteries too fast!