Author Topic: Lock that "L"!  (Read 11526 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Lock that "L"!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 21:57:28 »
I look into the viewfinder with my left eye, too, but have never had that problem with any camera.  Maybe because Japanese have smaller noses.

Jakov, all you need is to develop the technique to push the OK button in the center of the 4-way switch with the nose!  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 22:00:36 »
I look into the viewfinder with my left eye, too, but have never had that problem with any camera.  Maybe because Japanese have smaller noses.

Jakov, all you need is to develop the technique to push the OK button in the center of the 4-way switch with the nose!  :D

I do that Akira, but the D200 hasn't got an OK button in the middle of the cursor  ;D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 22:04:06 »
I do that Akira, but the D200 hasn't got an OK button in the middle of the cursor  ;D

Ah, so you need even more sophisticated technique to push the dead center of the 4-way switch.   8)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 22:04:19 »
While I seldom have the problem of inadvertent locking of the 4-way switch, what happens very frequently is that my nose hits the too easily depressed menu button on my D7100, having a similar stuck focus point effect.

It should be easy to fix by gluing a washer of proper dimensions around the menu button to make its surroundings taller, but I have not gotten around to find something suitable yet. Does any others have this problem? (I did check this out when I had the opportunity to handle a D500 in a store, and it did not occur with that one... My D200 also behaves well in this respect).
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 22:36:09 »
Øivind, so you use the right eye...

Hmm...I never imagined that this humble thread would reveal the hidden ability of the human noses!

The washer for a 1/16 watt potentiometer fits nicely around the menu button of my D750: its internal diameter is just a little larger than the menu button.

That said, I would suspect that any metal may cause problem with your nose under such a freezing condition of Fairbanks?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 23:12:59 »
Hmm...I never imagined that this humble thread would reveal the hidden ability of the human noses!

When I'm forced to look toward a late afternoon sun as when driving west I'll turn my head sideways to use my nose to shade one eye while closing the other. The nose is indeed versatile.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 23:42:25 »

The washer for a 1/16 watt potentiometer fits nicely around the menu button of my D750: its internal diameter is just a little larger than the menu button.

That said, I would suspect that any metal may cause problem with your nose under such a freezing condition of Fairbanks?

Thanks Akira. Yes, there are real perils associated with using a camera with metal parts at very low temperature -- during my past cold weather testing of Nikon bodies I got frost bite on the tip of my nose when it touched the back of my D200. Normally I would wear a face mask at -40°C though. There are many kinds of washers coming with electronic parts so the general idea might be good.
Øivind Tøien

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 02:45:20 »
I used to be left eyed until a nearly fatal accident broke my trochlear nerve, causing my two eyes to see different tilts to the horizon.  Both eyes still work, and even see binocular above a certain point, but I woke up right eyed.  Now although both eyes tilt about the same amount, around 5 degrees, down at the middle, my brain says the right is correct, and attributes the whole 10 degrees to the left. The first time I picked up a camera, after 40 or so years of left-eyedness, I found myself putting the right eye to the viewfinder.  Very odd indeed.  But the upshot of it is that my nose does not hit the focus point button, but instead turns on the menu.  Unfortunately, as noted above, the placement is such that I'm constantly hitting it with my thumb anyway. 

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 03:20:17 »
Matthew, sorry to learn about your mishap and trouble.  Good for you to be able to enjoy photography again, albeit some inconvenience.

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 06:29:33 »
I'm also a left-eye camera user, and compound my problems by keeping my glasses on while I look through the viewfinder.  I've tried to change both, but can't accustom myself to changing either.  I use the L switch often enough to want to be able to use it, so no epoxy for me.  My nose does collide with the focus selector on the D-810 occasionally.  Initially it's perplexing, and then annoying, when you're trying to track a subject and the focus indicator suddenly marches over to the left of the screen.  Interestingly I don't ever remember this problem with the D-7000.

Cheers - John

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 07:21:18 »
John, when I hold my camera horizontally, I tend to look into the viewfinder as if I'm looking up a little, so that my nose is not pushed to the back of the camera.  In the vertical orientation, I recently found it better to hold the camera with the grip down, and hold the camera so that my cheek is pushed to the camera.  This way I can hold the camera more stable than I would when I hold the camera with the grip up, and that without pushing any buttons inadvertently.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 07:23:40 »
When I'm forced to look toward a late afternoon sun as when driving west I'll turn my head sideways to use my nose to shade one eye while closing the other. The nose is indeed versatile.

Dave, you are living wonder...

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 09:02:13 »
If your camera had a silicone skin fitted then nothing gets knocked ...personally I am in the leave it locked camp....who has time to move the focus point about??
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 10:18:54 »

I would think the same size washer could be obtained made out of Neoprene. A Neoprene washer could be fastened with Pliobon a type of contact cement that remains pliable and removable over the years. It was used to fasten the leatherette found on Nikon cameras from my first Nikkormat FTn to my F3. It was the smell of a new Nikon SLR for all those years.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 12:27:32 »
If your camera had a silicone skin fitted then nothing gets knocked ...personally I am in the leave it locked camp....who has time to move the focus point about??

The silicon skin would be a good idea.  The need to lock the 4-way switch depends on the applications.