Author Topic: Lock that "L"!  (Read 11533 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Lock that "L"!
« on: October 02, 2016, 03:12:34 »
My deteriorated eyesight doesn't allow proper manual focus on the matte using a DSLR, so I always depend on AF or the focus aid in the optical viewfinder.  And thus I always use the 4-way switch to move the single AF point around.

Sometimes I feel pressed, because I cannot move the AF point, and the 4-way switch doesn't respond.  Then I find that the "L" lever around the switch is inadvertently set to "L" position, which happens every one in a while.

Since I've never been in need of locking the 4-way switch on a digital camera of any brand because of the purpose described above, I decided to lock this irritating "L" switch on my D750 permanently yet in an invertible way, unlike our beloved fierce bear who would use epoxy.  :D

It was easy to find the way to lock the switch thanks to its deeply scooped area to the left of the tab unlike other Nikon models.  I cut a small piece of plastic (red with leather-like emboss) to fit into the scooped area, and fix it to the place using a piece of double-sided adhesive.

I'm very happy with the result.  Now the "L" switch is worry-free!  Sorry for the terrible image quality of the attached image which was taken by my now-very-dated cellphone (this is the only camera that can take the picture "of" my D750!) and heavily cropped.

Hope this post of mine would make any sense....
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Lock that "L"!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 03:32:22 »
A roll of double sided sticky tape is one of those very useful things like duct tape that should always be a part of ones tool kit - even when travelling.

Nice application for double side tape BTW - I think that we have all run foul of the L lock switch at some time or other - I certainly know that I have.
Hugh Gunn

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 03:51:41 »
Funny thing, one of the worst features I find on the D3200 is that the control does not lock!  To each his own, I guess, but since I use back button focus, and often prefer spot metering, the inability to lock the focus point is a constant irritation, as the position of the control is such that it's very easy to move it by accident just when handling the camera. 

I wish you could remove the L lever whole,  and send it to me! 

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 03:56:54 »
Thanks, Hugh, for the comment.

Yes, I also keep several different tapes near at hand for various purposes.  Double-sided adhesive is handy when you want a clean look.

Funny thing, one of the worst features I find on the D3200 is that the control does not lock!  To each his own, I guess, but since I use back button focus, and often prefer spot metering, the inability to lock the focus point is a constant irritation, as the position of the control is such that it's very easy to move it by accident just when handling the camera. 

I wish you could remove the L lever whole,  and send it to me! 

LOL!  I would be willing to send your the L lever if ever possible.  I guess the small size of D3200 would contribute your problem: the 4-way switch can easily be touched with your thumb or the root of the thumb when you just grab the camera.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 05:57:55 »
very useful :o :o :o

i always lock the L switch but sometimes i would use it when i use AF lenses ::)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 07:03:12 »
I sometimes lock the L switch but quite infrequently. I sometimes inadvertently lock it and I've lost photos. Most often I try to use it when the camera is in review mode. I'm trying to learn to touch the shutter release to cancel the review mode. I haven't tried it but I'd think the new focus joystick would be a big improvement.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:03:49 »
very useful :o :o :o

i always lock the L switch but sometimes i would use it when i use AF lenses ::)

Rick, apparently you can manual focus with the old MF Nikkors without problem.   8)

I sometimes lock the L switch but quite infrequently. I sometimes inadvertently lock it and I've lost photos. Most often I try to use it when the camera is in review mode. I'm trying to learn to touch the shutter release to cancel the review mode. I haven't tried it but I'd think the new focus joystick would be a big improvement.

Dave, I use the 4-way switch not only to move the AF points around but also to scroll around the image to review.  So, locking the "L" makes the camera even more stress-free for me.

The joystick of D5/500 is tactile.  I would then wonder how to split the function between the joystick and 4-way switch...   ::)

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 18:12:05 »
I never use off-center AF points, so I keep the Lock lever locked, unless needs to be unlocked, which is pretty much never.   On the Nikon DLSLRs I have/have had, keeping the switch in 'Lock' does prevent changing the AF point, but does not prevent navigation of the enlarged review image.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 18:20:14 »
Akira, I hear you clearly. I never locked it either and on occasion when I do move it to the L position - furious is what I feel when I realise it  :D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 18:58:46 »
I never use off-center AF points, so I keep the Lock lever locked, unless needs to be unlocked, which is pretty much never.   On the Nikon DLSLRs I have/have had, keeping the switch in 'Lock' does prevent changing the AF point, but does not prevent navigation of the enlarged review image.

Thanks, Keith, for confirming the function.  I didn't remember how the position of the "L" lever affects in the review mode, and I cannot make sure of it anymore.  :D

Akira, I hear you clearly. I never locked it either and on occasion when I do move it to the L position - furious is what I feel when I realise it  :D

Yes, furious is the word!  :D

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 19:15:43 »
I intentionally lock the af point when working in studio because my nose presses the af location control

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 19:27:04 »
I intentionally lock the af point when working in studio because my nose presses the af location control

Armando, I wonder when you would need to hold the camera at an angle of 30-45 degree?   :o :o :o

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 21:35:03 »
No need , I use my left eye , so my nose is all over the rear of the camera  ::)
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 21:42:28 »
No need , I use my left eye , so my nose is all over the rear of the camera  ::)

I realize that the 4-way switch of D800 is a bit closer to the screen due to the absence of the articulating frame.  Indeed the nose can push it inadvertently, but strangely I have never heard of such a user report...   :o

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 21:49:12 »
Here is another report of such a phenomenon, but not with every camera. I get the D200 cursor to move, but not the Df with my nose, because I too use my left eye :)
But it's not a problem because I see the red bold rectangle rushing from right to left before my eyes  ;D

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen