Author Topic: Be careful buying from online sites  (Read 5875 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Be careful buying from online sites
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:21:08 »
a French friend is a victim. Be careful with buying lenses "from Japan" or in Yahoo! Auctions. I will update this when the case is closed. :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Be careful buying from online sites
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:26:21 »
Sad to know that.  I always stay away from Yahoo! auctions.  I've heard that there are groups of frauds on Yahoo! offering Nikon rarities in mint conditions.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:34:04 »
dangerous...

not only that but they have a method. I cannot say it here yet.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 07:36:29 »
So sad to hear.  Richard,  I hope that your friend can reach a satisfactory outcome soon.

The fabled Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 was another example of a lens that the criminal element used as a scamming vehicle.

Fortunately I acquired mine through Matsuiyastore, an Ebay seller from Japan, and I was very happy with them.

(No, I am not associated with Matsuiyastore, but they are a great example of an honourable online seller.)
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:37:52 »
dangerous...

not only that but they have a method. I cannot say it here yet.

I've heard how they operates.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 07:43:31 »
So sad to hear.  Richard,  I hope that your friend can reach a satisfactory outcome soon.

The fabled Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 was another example of a lens that the criminal element used as a scamming vehicle.

Fortunately I acquired mine through Matsuiyastore, an Ebay seller from Japan, and I was very happy with them.

(No, I am not associated with Matsuiyastore, but they are a great example of an honourable online seller.)

Matsuya Camera is a real shop based in Nagoya, if I'm not mistaken.  I've been there once.  The store has been around for more than 100 years.  I don't think they are related with any fraud.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:48:17 »
I have only ever heard good things said about this seller - I am very confident that they have never been involved in such wrong doing, and can recommend them.

It is a sad fact of human life that it only takes one rotten egg to cruel things for everyone else.

Matsuya Camera is a real shop based in Nagoya, if I'm not mistaken.  I've been there once.  The store has been around for more than 100 years.  I don't think they are related with any fraud.
Hugh Gunn

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 07:49:10 »
luckily, money has not been involved yet. but i am afraid that it will be :o :o :o

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 07:53:49 »
Richard, get your French friend to urgently contact his/her financial institution and get them to stop any payments.  Credit card companies in particular can halt payments very quickly if alerted in time.  Good luck.

luckily, money has not been involved yet. but i am afraid that it will be :o :o :o
Hugh Gunn

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 07:10:20 »
the case is being investigated now :o :o :o

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 08:41:10 »
I purchased a lens from japan   $299 + $30 post ..when arrived I had to pay about 25% duty   ..UK  ...it  was faulty ....the jap guy refunded the 299 and return postage but I never got the  duty back....Never buy from japan even on Ebay  you can have problems getting return address in English..too much of a risk unless its very cheap  or the only one in the world.

I buy from Germany very often ..no problems ..no duty
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 08:53:04 »
As with everything one has to analyse risk and benefit.
Take a cold objective look at the benefit (usually a lower price), the probability of the risk and the severity of a possible negative outcome, then decide.
Usually when it seems too good an opportunity to be true, it is too good to be true.
Using this approach I have bought from Japan on eBay a few times, getting mostly what I expected.
Simone Tomasi

Mike G

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 09:06:48 »
A case of Caveat Emptor, I would not buy anything from E Bay as long as my backside points downwards! Way too many crooks and thieves on there which E Bay do absolutely nothing about it!

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 15:44:38 »
We do not know the details of the case, but I think it is good to avoid generalizing. i have ordered a lot of used photo gear and equipment on ebay, with sellers in Europe and Japan, and I had only one issue, a Nikkor lens with fungus which was reimbursed no questions asked. On the other hand, I had problems with the one single item I tried to sell, with the buyer using some strange PayPal conflict procedure in order not to pay. Even though this was a disappointment, PayPal recommended not to send the item, and I simply did as instructed. For the anecdote, I eventually sold the item (a film scanner) on Amazon for a higher price!

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy again from Ebay, if the seller has been around for some time, has good ratings, and specializes in photo gear.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 19:32:21 »
Amazon now has a local instance in Mexico

On almost anything electronic there are alternative  Japanese vendors, with cheaper prices, but very long delivery times

I always select products fulfilled by amazon or a recognize brand / store
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3