Author Topic: 180mm f/2.8 manual focus lens family  (Read 5804 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
180mm f/2.8 manual focus lens family
« on: September 25, 2016, 18:00:05 »
So nobody talking about this so I am making a new thread :o :o :o

VERY impressed with this lens wide-open! I got the 1st generation one - the Nikkor-P 180mm f/2.8 version

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: 180mm f/2.8 manual focus lens family
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 20:16:39 »
Richard, I love the ED version of this lens, as I love your portraits :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 21:14:01 »
I own the ED AI-S version. I find it shoots very nicely from f/2.8 to f/8.0 gaining a very small amount of edge sharpness by stopping from f/2.8 to f/4.0. I feel very free to shoot wide open with no practical plenty. To me it was a must have lens in the film era second only to the 105/2.5 AI or AI-S and 105/2.8 AI-S Micro. That's "second only" because the 105mm focal length is more important to me.

Very nice portraits!

Dave

24, 55 or 50, 105 and 180 millimeters makes a nice set of primes. One would be a Micro-Nikkor.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 21:32:33 »
A few shots wide open, using the manual focus ED version. I bought it in Tokyo, so I cherish it particularly. #3 and #4 are from Hibiya park, Tokyo - homeless people at daytime and after business hours lovers (just getting things started) at night time.

Bokeh may be slightly less nice than the 105/2.5's, but still very pleasant. Similar to the 105/2.5, the slight loss of sharpness at 2.8 compared to 4.0 is no hindrance.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 21:56:11 »
Another example, wide open. Ugly shot with the D800 at 6400 ISO, which is the practical upper limit. You can count the eyelashes (on the original, rahter than on this downsampled version). The background gives an idea of the vignetting, and you also see the quality of the FG bokeh.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 22:04:42 »
At f/4.0. Shot in Yoyogi park, Oct. 6, 2011.
Airy Magnien

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 22:13:36 »
This article on the development of the 180mm ED is well worth reading: http://nikkor.com/story/0010/

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 05:05:05 »
This article on the development of the 180mm ED is well worth reading: http://nikkor.com/story/0010/

Thanks, Roland.

The last couple of paragraphs are very important as it tackles the subtlety of each versions rendering difference. :o :o :o
He also praised the beautiful bokeh which I find to be exquisite in some of the photos that I took. Too cab I had to crop those away since this is for her modeling portfolio ::)

PS: cant go to the post office yet, flared up on the right toe this time  :'( :'( :'(

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 05:10:35 »
A few shots wide open, using the manual focus ED version. I bought it in Tokyo, so I cherish it particularly. #3 and #4 are from Hibiya park, Tokyo - homeless people at daytime and after business hours lovers (just getting things started) at night time.

Bokeh may be slightly less nice than the 105/2.5's, but still very pleasant. Similar to the 105/2.5, the slight loss of sharpness at 2.8 compared to 4.0 is no hindrance.

wow, those are clean pictures! :o :o :o i am glad that you liked it as much as I do because I find that this lens lost it's popularity somewhat when the 80-200 f/2.8 came out ::) in fact, they were selling for bargain prices before until mirrorless came into the picture. by the way, which shop did you buy it from if it's ok to ask.

my sample is plenty sharp! there is a smear of CA here and there but it is totally negligible and I would even dare say that it adds to the organic look of the image. I do find that the images tend to be too sharp and thankfully, my subject has young, soft, clear, smooth and beautiful skin!!! What I am most impressed with is sharpness wide-open is very good even if you approach the edges

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 05:13:42 »
I own the ED AI-S version. I find it shoots very nicely from f/2.8 to f/8.0 gaining a very small amount of edge sharpness by stopping from f/2.8 to f/4.0. I feel very free to shoot wide open with no practical plenty. To me it was a must have lens in the film era second only to the 105/2.5 AI or AI-S and 105/2.8 AI-S Micro. That's "second only" because the 105mm focal length is more important to me.

Very nice portraits!

Dave

24, 55 or 50, 105 and 180 millimeters makes a nice set of primes. One would be a Micro-Nikkor.

Thank you, Dave!
with a lens this good, i found no initiative to stop it down :o :o :o honestly, I havent even tried shooting this at f/4 and I never even got curious. This made me want to dismantle and ED lens like the one you have!!!

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 05:19:15 »
Richard, I love the ED version of this lens, as I love your portraits :)

Thanks, Jakov!

We actually have a saying back then in the modeling agency: "if the subject is good-looking, the picture will look good even if you use an instamatic". this holds true every time but this time, the lens played a very big role.

as for ED, i wonder why Nikon chose that name. ED here in Japan means erectile dysfunction!

Yes, I want the ED now. but the good type of ED from Nikon!!!

Charles Edelson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 06:31:58 »
I am carrying the manual focus ais ED version as a regular part of my backpack of primes.  For me, f5.6 allows optimum sharpness on a D800 and compares favorably with newer designs.  In camera raw I bump up contrast to +15, add some minor sharpening and check the box to remove CA.  Definitely focus using live view for landscape work.  Exercising care, it delivers extremely crisp results.

Charles Edelson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 06:49:39 »
Here is a full frame image and then a detail at 100%.

Charles Edelson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 06:50:29 »
and the detail

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 08:55:39 »
Posted earlier in the Daily Updates of February:   http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3298.150.html

Df with 180/2.8 AIS  with 6T

And  Df with AF 180/2.8 first version with 6T