Author Topic: Les choses visibles et invisibles  (Read 9961 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Les choses visibles et invisibles
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 10:40:17 »
Things that are unlit cannot be seen, but do exist. Not a matter of creed.

Feelings are unseen but nevertheless exist.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 10:44:24 »
Latry is 32 Euro. I can get it now. Hear and play our old but renovated and newly intonated organ at St Johan Baptiste and you will be healed from spiritless German Organs. Klais is special.

I referred to post-WWII "orgelbewegte" organs, which I played and enjoyed a lot. Of course the Sauer organ at the Bremer Dom (which I also played) was a completely different breed, as are the Klais organs from the thirties, a good example of which is preserved in S. Salvator, Brugge (but might not survive the pending restoration). But these are now in a minority, and were often in a poor condition when I had the opportunity to see them (in the eighties).
Airy Magnien

Almass

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 10:46:32 »

They physically exist when lit...which means measurable.

Feelings are unseen but nevertheless exist.

They exist in a metaphorical sense and in a scientific test, they can and are measured in Lab test.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 10:52:17 »
I remembered that I had Messiaen's original performance of Pentecôte.

The problem is that the very high portion of the organ is cut abruptly during the passage of hight notes, probably due to the 20kHz limit of the CD.  Need to find some hi-res sources.

You do not even need to reach to 20kHz to render an organ. mp3 files are cut off at 15kHz and that works. The original Messiaen recordings, from the fifties, are mono and have a restricted bandwidth. I had a few LPs showing the same issue. The interpretation is still "unique" and, unlike some critics, I think Messiaen was enough of a virtuoso to play his own pieces. But for a first listening experience, I prefer to recommend more recent recordings, and the only one at the Trinité is a composite integral recording (Hakim, Thiry, Bate and others) from about 1995, Jade records. At the same time, the whole was played in a series of recitals, and this is where I experienced the "Livre d'Orgue" impeccably played by Thiry (blind, with a mutilated left hand following his playing with a handgranate as a teenager), so I can assure that at least his interpretation must be widely exempt from editing.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 10:56:36 »
Note - my illustrating a picture with quotes from the scriptures should not be understood as religious propaganda (off topic here). The association came spontaneously to my mind, as I am a well-read olod guy, but certainly not a believer.

Almass, for aforementioned reason, I am not going to argue about faith (not my cup of tea) nor quantum mechanics (I got a master in physics). But in any case thanks for your first expressed condolences.
Airy Magnien

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 11:26:47 »

There are also things that do not exist, but can be seen, and handled - the square root of -1, for example.   Roland Barthes said that what is distinctive about photography is that you cannot photograph something that does not exist; the question is whether he was right.   

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 11:38:06 »
There are limits to perception, some are physical some are by talent, some are by training.

Basic logic applied:

1) we cannot know what is beyond the limits of our perception, just guess, just speculate
2) we cannot "see" (pars pro toto for "percieve") what others see, not even know, just guess, just speculate

That is what makes photography so fascinating for me: I visit a place with other photographers and they "see" a very different place.

With a camera they can "show" what they "see" only limited by physics, talent and training:

You are out there
You and your camera

You can shoot or
not shoot
as you please

discover the world
your world
show it to us

or

we might never see it
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 11:41:35 »
Nicely put.

Today I'll stay at home, but the Df will not idle around.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 12:14:59 »
Airy, thanks for the advice.  I found Louis Thiry recordings but only as used (Calliope label) and priced too highly (around 150 USD.  I'd wait for a re-release.

I also have a newer recording by Messiaen ("Meditations sur le Mystere de la Sainte Trinite" released from Erato in 1972).

Here in Tokyo, it has been raining since yesterday.  We've had a couple of typhoons consecutively, and I've had no chance to go out with the camera for a week or so...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 12:29:02 »
Akira: try to browse not only your home ebay / amazon but also the foreign ones. That is how I found many books and records either at all or much cheaper than at my ".de"-versions

ebay.fr or ebay.co.uk can be your friend in this case, same with amazon.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 14:43:25 »
Airy

Sorry for your loss
a beautiful way to remember a passionate amateur photographer
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 15:40:46 »
There are also things that do not exist, but can be seen, and handled - the square root of -1, for example.   Roland Barthes said that what is distinctive about photography is that you cannot photograph something that does not exist; the question is whether he was right.

I can see the typographic representation of the square root of -1, but not the thing itself (the signifiant, but not the signifié, as Barthes would say). Can you ? ;)
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 17:38:12 »
Akira: try to browse not only your home ebay / amazon but also the foreign ones. That is how I found many books and records either at all or much cheaper than at my ".de"-versions

ebay.fr or ebay.co.uk can be your friend in this case, same with amazon.

Frank, thanks for your advice.  Yes, I usually go between Japanese, USA, German, UK and French amazons and use ebay.com.  I've found Jade one "still sealed" on ebay.com.  For whatever reason, I haven't used any local auction sites.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 18:16:27 »
The Jade one...

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 18:29:51 »
Excellent buy. Should also inspire your photography :)
Airy Magnien