Author Topic: Les choses visibles et invisibles  (Read 9746 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Les choses visibles et invisibles
« on: September 21, 2016, 22:01:00 »
parce que nous regardons, non point aux choses visibles, mais à celles qui sont invisibles; car les choses visibles sont passagères, et les invisibles sont éternelles. (2 Cor 4:18)

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

...uns, die wir nicht sehen auf das Sichtbare, sondern auf das Unsichtbare. Denn was sichtbar ist, das ist zeitlich; was aber unsichtbar ist, das ist ewig.

Sound track : Messiaen, les choses visibles et invisibles (Messse de la Pentecôte : Offertoire)

Now that makes photography feel vain ;)

I thought especially Frank F. and Akira S. would like the argument.

Ettore Fruscoloni, a friend from senior high times and passionate amateur photographer, set up a photo club and advanced courses in studio photography, spreading the enthusiasm. The last exhibition he set up in Rome was quite successful, dealing with a particularly painful subject: Auschwitz.

He passed away today, after a one-year desperate fight against a particularly nasty cancer. I last met him in August, together with two other schoolfriends. The shot is from today's crop, as usual.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Les choses visibles et invisibles
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 22:46:49 »
Sorry to learn of the passing of your alumnus, Airy.  I remembered some of my alumni who had passed away over the years.

Instead of going into YouTube, I pulled out my CD of the recording of Messse de la Pentecôte by Jennifer Bate.

For whatever reason, I feel your image fits really well with the piece of the music you selected.  The gradation in the background suggests the contrast, or better, the seamless transition between the visible and the invisible (which can be translated "life and death" or "mortal and immortal").  The flower captured in a very shallow DOF represents the ephemeral existence.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 22:56:32 »
You touched me. Hugs.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 22:58:49 »
Akira, you got it... the shot was just made "en passant", I like close-up shots with wide apertures. I had several variants for the background. It is only during the post processing that the association came to my mind, for the very reasons you mention.

Ettore, at least in his younger years, confessed to be a "menefreghista" - colloquial italian for "not caring about religion", but at the same time he was a Mr. Nice Guy with very high moral standards and socio-political engagement. He spent his life exploring the visible world with his Nikon (!) and this is how, maybe, the association came.

Frank, that piece of organ music is for you. To be heard in the dark (my best experience was during a live performance, by a pupil of Master Louis Thiry in Rouen)
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 23:03:00 »
I have a piece of music for you. Touching. Moving. Very different from what you would expect.

Graindelavoix.org

This will enchant you
Lift you up
Nothing sweet about it
Full of joy of improvisation
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 23:12:56 »
I know this ensemble (from the record "La Magdalena") but not this record. Thanks for the hint.
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 23:17:24 »
I know this ensemble (from the record "La Maddalena") but not this record. Thanks for the hint.

I heard them on the radio. Loved them in seconds. Visit their page. I got the record on day one.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 23:19:34 »
Touching story. Delicate shot.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 23:23:19 »
Airy. I tried to buy the album. Yet. There are several interpretations. Which would you recommend. Which organist?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 23:36:16 »
The "Messe de la pentecôte" is no easy listening. I'd recommend, maybe, the recording by Naji Hakim at the Trinité organ (Jade records) if you can find it. Otherwise, maybe the more recent one by Olivier Latry at Notre-Dame (DG). Those organs have enough "spirit" (like old whisky) to convey the composer's intentions. Modern German organs are often too dry, and may be more suitable for more speculative works with complex writing such as the Livre d'Orgue (outstanding record by Almut Rössler at the Neanderkirche, Düsseldorf, Schwann/Koch)
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 23:48:41 »
I've found the complete Messiaen organ music collection by Olivier Latry (DGG).  I wonder if it is worth purchasing in addition to the box set by Jennifer Bate...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 00:49:30 »
Latry is 32 Euro. I can get it now. Hear and play our old but renovated and newly intonated organ at St Johan Baptiste and you will be healed from spiritless German Organs. Klais is special.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 01:00:04 »
Naji Hakim. 18 Euros. Paris Trinity.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 02:09:22 »
I remembered that I had Messiaen's original performance of Pentecôte.

The problem is that the very high portion of the organ is cut abruptly during the passage of hight notes, probably due to the 20kHz limit of the CD.  Need to find some hi-res sources.

Almass

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 07:42:15 »
parce que nous regardons, non point aux choses visibles, mais à celles qui sont invisibles; car les choses visibles sont passagères, et les invisibles sont éternelles. (2 Cor 4:18)

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Sorry for your loss.

As for the visibles and invisibles. Vous serais bien de noter que l'invisible est simplement inexistant and in English; things which are not seen are inexistent ..... they are simply futile stoning power of mind control.

Nevermind that there is an inherent contradiction in seeing the unseen as at best it would be prophetysing.