Author Topic: Fishing with Sigma  (Read 3721 times)

knb

• NG Supporter
  • Oslo, Norway
Fishing with Sigma
« on: June 25, 2015, 14:34:36 »
My most extreme wide angle had for many years been the Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AIS. Of course not extreme at all, but it seemed to fill my needs at the wide end.

In the autumn of 2013 though, my urge for something more extreme got too strong. I looked at an advertised Fisheye-Nikkor 8mm f/2.8, but found it a bit expensive. So I went to my local shop and bought a brand new Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG Fisheye. It was frustratingly awkward and difficult to use at first, but I quickly got used to it and found that I could use it as a general purpose just like I use any other lens. Ok, not general purpose in a wider sense, but surprisingly versatile.

I used this lens every day for a month (throughout october), and some of the results are shown below (a bit picture heavy I am afraid).

1: Up the ramp from a parking cellar.
2: Outside my home in pouring rain.
3: It was always a challenge not to include my own feet, so why not include them by purpose?
4: There are some narrow passages at the back of my home.
5: Fornebuparken. The runway of the old Oslo airport at Fornebu has been converted into a rather nice park.
6: Statoil HQ.
7: Oslo city center.
8. At the edge of Aker brygge. I almost fell into the sea while leaning outwards, using the ladder as support.
9: At the back side of the Statoil HQ. I was obviously monitored by the numerous security cameras.
10: The lobby of the Oslo opera house seen from the outside.
11: Entering the plateau of Totenåsen, a hilly region southwest of lake Mjøsa.
12: What happens when the lens fogs up entirely. The fogging was extreme in the evening at Totenåsen.
13: The same cabin as in the previous one, now including the night sky.
14: The Astrup Fearnley museum at Aker Brygge in Oslo.
Kjetil Narum Bakken

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Fishing with Sigma
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 16:04:46 »
Apparently you have normalised your relationship with the fish :D

Not easy to point out a favourite  as all of these are good. However, the last one shows a perfect understanding of how the 'fishy' features can actually add a new dimension to the image, by showing components of the scene structurally related in a manner missed by the rectilinear geometry. Just look at the pearly chain formed by spotlight reflections surrounding he perimeter.

On a side note, #2 reminds me of the part of Oslo where I lived my early childhood (Sinsen).

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 16:24:32 »
I like #1 and #8 best.
#1 because of the simplicity, even if the environment is very unfamiliar for me.
#8 because of a view that please me. The red dot just out of center in a very symmetrical picture did it. In addition to that, it actually is the enviroment for the fish.
The last one is also remarkable with the high contrast and the pearly chain that Bjørn has allready mentioned.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 16:34:26 »
Very nice 8mm images - It is indeed very challenging to really utilize the circular output - Very nice captures!
Erik Lund

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 16:41:22 »
Very enjoyable viewing. I feel as if I'm holding a bunch of wonderful snow globes.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 17:30:09 »
I thoroughly enjoy using the 8mm Sigma circular fish-eye and it is obvious you do too :)
I like the 3rd last of the series with the glow from the window!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 11:11:14 »
Great series, Kjetil!

To me, the leaf in the foreground gives a critical perspective in #5 which I like very much.  But I cannot pick up just one favorite.

I'm big fan of fisheye myself, too, but haven't yet tried a circular one.  This series of yours is a good (or bad?!) temptation.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 11:38:23 »
lovely series. Inspiring perspectives. Here are some words about some pictures:
#7884: I hate colour key edits. but this one is so subtle and convincing that I must applaud!
#6613: Great feel makes me long for a walk in "English Summer Rain".
#7019 & #7587 --- Exhibitions and museums are always great to shoot, because the shots are greatly supported by the art of the architect. If the laws come through though, such shots will be forbidden in the future, at least their publishing. I love the colour scape and the right time / light you chose
#8201: A bit of a riddle. Why the white stripes on the lawn???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

knb

• NG Supporter
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 13:25:36 »
Bjørn: Thanks, I was happy that those spots were there along the little walk-bridge. I do not have any childhood memory of Oslo myself, as I grew up in the countryside, but I am in fact born at "Rikshospitalet". This type of buildings were pretty common for the central east from the thirties I suppose, and I do not live very far from Sinsen anyway.

Asle: Yes, I guess the first one is the "cleanest", with very few elements. I like #8 too, and in this very rare case I was tempted to include a colour patch. For the last one, I fell for the glow in the artificially lit woodwork. Thanks a lot.

Erik: Thanks for your appreciation Erik, I know that you have experience from circular 8mm yourself.

Gary: Yes, with the circular output, they have some similarities to snow globes. Thanks for commenting.

Jakov: I know you have that same lens, and I partly blame you for this thread.  ;)  I remember the "little planet" series by you and Erik a couple of years ago, and I bought my sample after that (not that I have tried that particular technique yet). The effect in #12 was not intentional, but I kind of liked it. Dew were forming very quickly that night. Thank you.

Akira: Thanks. And yes, I was very satisfied (and lucky) with that leaf lying there. I am happy to be "bad" influence.  :D

Frank: Thank you. About the colour edit, I almost never do such a thing. This was a rare exception, and I thought I might get away with it. I hope that insane law you are referring to never come true, but I would not be surprised. What next, ban photography altogether? About the stripes in the lawn: This is an installation of sorts made of stone. I think it is a symbol for the airport that once was here.
Kjetil Narum Bakken

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 13:38:45 »
Interesting work, very well done!
Andrew Iwanowski

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 13:40:56 »
Can't really pick a favorite here but they made me want to go out and buy a fish.

The law Frank is talking about is an EU law so wouldn't be a problem in Norway.
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 14:03:30 »
Getting interesting photos with a circular fisheye is difficult, but you have succeeded brilliantly! A great series!
Bjørn Jørgensen

knb

• NG Supporter
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 14:49:18 »
Thanks a lot Andrew, Jørgen and Bjørn J.
Kjetil Narum Bakken

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 17:36:08 »
These are great!