Author Topic: Fuji X-T2 first impressions.  (Read 29747 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Fuji X-T2 first impressions.
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2016, 08:02:48 »
I have not met this issue with the X-T1, hope you will find a solution, Frank.

The solution will be that Fuji issues a firmware update for all affected products.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2016, 10:45:50 »
Frank, you clearly have suffered a bug.  I have seen comments that for some cameras at least this has been fixed by a firmware update, but I cannot verify this. 

The other issue is why the frame counter does not roll over after 999_9999.  The current system is weird. 
Anthony Macaulay

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2016, 20:44:32 »
What else could this be if it's not something recorded in the protected security partition of the SD card?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2016, 15:42:47 »
Yesterday on a whim I bought a Fuji X-T2 :)
(I had planned to do it when prices have calmed down a little, but with the pound sliding down a few % every day this is not likely to happen soon. So I found a bargain and grabbed it.)

It has been delivered this morning so this far I have very little experience with it; I have been setting it up and I might go out later to take some shots.
The camera is and feels a bit heavier, I think most of the additional weight is due to the big heat sink behind the sensor, which has been added mainly for the purpose of 4K video.

For the most part the camera feels very similar to the X-T1, one difference, apart from the obvious additions that have already been discussed much, is that I can finally operate as I did with Nikon cameras, with the shutter button only for taking pictures, and the AF-ON button for focusing. Unless I missed something, this was not possible with the X-T1.

I have not yet found anything that I like less in the X-T2 than in the X-T1.
Simone Tomasi

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2016, 16:00:33 »
Congrats with your purchase!
Jørgen Ramskov

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2016, 16:43:35 »
Congratulations, Simone, I am sure you will not be disappointed.  IMHO the XT2 is better than the XT1 in every respect apart from the slight weight increase.

You are right, back button focusing in the Nikon way is now possible, and was not on the XT1.  However, I have assigned focussing to the AEL button and moved the AEL function to the AFL button, as the AEL button is more comfortable for me.  I have also put some Sugru on each of these buttons, which has greatly helped me.  Fuji still makes some buttons too small and flush with the body.

The XT2 is much more responsive, and action photography is now easy, as viewfinder blackout is minimal and the AF is very fast and accurate.
Anthony Macaulay

Mike G

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2016, 17:27:14 »
I have to agree with Anthony except the back button business, but I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Well done for getting a bargain price!

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2016, 19:18:35 »
Congratulations, Simone, I am sure you will not be disappointed.  IMHO the XT2 is better than the XT1 in every respect apart from the slight weight increase.

You are right, back button focusing in the Nikon way is now possible, and was not on the XT1.  However, I have assigned focussing to the AEL button and moved the AEL function to the AFL button, as the AEL button is more comfortable for me.  I have also put some Sugru on each of these buttons, which has greatly helped me.  Fuji still makes some buttons too small and flush with the body.

The XT2 is much more responsive, and action photography is now easy, as viewfinder blackout is minimal and the AF is very fast and accurate.

I agree on what you say.
Having spent the afternoon using AF-ON "Nikon style" I find it is not very easy to reach with the thumb, so I will try to do as you suggest.
Simone Tomasi

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2016, 21:04:16 »
It is surprising that Fuji hs got this wrong, when they have been so responsive to customers on other issues.

It was a Fuji rep who advised swapping the button functions.  Sugru was something I used on the XT1 D-Pad.  It is clever stuff.
Anthony Macaulay

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2016, 12:12:37 »

What are your opinions about the improvements in image quality compared to the predecessor X-T1?

I'm fairly happy with the image quality from my X-E1 (1st generation 16mp X-Trans) and I'm considering a used X-T1 due to the VF and weather sealing.

The 8 megapixel extra of the X-T2 is nice but I'm not sure it makes a major difference to my kind of shooting (and occasional A3 printing). However, other factors like improved color etc. might be worth it.   

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2016, 18:59:30 »
Lars, I think the image quality is better, but I have not done a proper scientific companion, so this may just be confirmation bias.  But I think not.

But the main reason I bought the X-T2 was for the performance improvements, rather than the image quality.  The responsiveness and speed of handling are significantly better.  I still have the X-T2 as a backup and, on my recent safari, as a second camera (with mid range zoom), so have had many opportunities to appreciate the superiority of the X-T2.
Anthony Macaulay

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2016, 20:32:23 »
Lars, I think the image quality is better, but I have not done a proper scientific companion, so this may just be confirmation bias.  But I think not.

But the main reason I bought the X-T2 was for the performance improvements, rather than the image quality.  The responsiveness and speed of handling are significantly better.  I still have the X-T2 as a backup and, on my recent safari, as a second camera (with mid range zoom), so have had many opportunities to appreciate the superiority of the X-T2.

Thank you very much Anthony. I'm aware that the X-T2 is a leap forward in important aspects when shooting e.g. wildlife as you do - I'm more into static subjects like landscape shooting and for that the X-T1 would work fine (most landscapers would probably want the extra 8 megapixel resolution but to me the price is too high). As said, especially the VF, articulating screen and weather sealing would at least be a leap forward for me.

I must say the colors in your shot of the Lilac Breasted Roller is great - shot with the X-T2?  :)   

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2016, 21:10:37 »
Lars, I am fairly sure that if you are satisfied with your X-E1, you will be delighted with the X-T1. I was not disappointed, coming from the excellent D700.
It is a wonderful tool for someone willing to take the time, it doesn't come in your way. But it may not satisfy someone more into action.
I think it marries very well with MF lenses.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2016, 00:50:49 »
Lars, the roller was shot with the X-T2 and the 100-400.

If the responsiveness issues are not so important, then I think you will be very happy with the X-T1.  I have really enjoyed shooting with it and its image quality for the last 2.5 years, and I am not in a hurry to trade it in.
Anthony Macaulay

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2016, 21:03:10 »
Thank you very much Olivier and Anthony

Lars, I am fairly sure that if you are satisfied with your X-E1, you will be delighted with the X-T1. I was not disappointed, coming from the excellent D700.
It is a wonderful tool for someone willing to take the time, it doesn't come in your way. But it may not satisfy someone more into action.
I think it marries very well with MF lenses.

Olivier, it has been interesting to follow your move from the D700 to the Fuji X-T1. I've (especially) enjoyed your series of excellent portraits and the X-T1 is undoubtedly a great camera in your hands. I've learned patience with the X-E1 and I trust the X-T1 would be a great tool for me as well. Your point about MF lenses is definitely also positive.             

Lars, the roller was shot with the X-T2 and the 100-400.

If the responsiveness issues are not so important, then I think you will be very happy with the X-T1.  I have really enjoyed shooting with it and its image quality for the last 2.5 years, and I am not in a hurry to trade it in.

Anthony, compared to my X-E1 I actually think I'll be experiencing a nice leap towards better responsiveness in terms of better AF, less EVF lag etc. If it also provides a slightly better image quality compared to the X-E1 I won't complain. The fact you are not in a hurry to trade it in after 2.5 years I take as a recommendation.