Author Topic: Fuji X-T2 first impressions.  (Read 29889 times)

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
Re: Fuji X-T2 first impressions.
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 11:52:32 »
Les, I carry a X-T1 + 3 batteries + 3 lenses + 1 polarizer box in a small bag which could not hold my D700 + 2 batteries + 2 lenses. Additional batteries are small and light, no need for a grip if you just want longevity.
And of course, there is this wonderful EVF.

Mike G

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2016, 12:29:11 »
It would be interesting to see some comments on Olympus battery life?

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2016, 13:46:02 »
I have an Olympus OMD E-M1 and three batteries.  Under heavy shooting, the worst I have done is about one and a half batteries in a day where I am guessing that I took about 500 shots, with minimal chimping and keeping the camera off where possible.  Not a very precise answer I am afraid, but the battery consumption does not stick out as a big issue with this camera.
Hugh Gunn

Mike G

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2016, 13:53:43 »
Thanks Hugh, your answer echos what I do with my Fuji and get a similar result maybe, I'm not sure!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2016, 14:04:49 »

Equally bad. One day out with the Olympus = one non-empty battery in the camera and two spare ones, full of course. So what ? except of course that batteries are not for free.

Then again, one outing with the Df = one non-empty battery in the camera and one laden spare battery (two if I use AF, VR and such lenses).

Difference ? negligible.

Of course if replacing a battery may ruin the shooting session, a camera with grip is the only way, no matter if DSLR or mirrorless.
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2016, 14:06:16 »
My little Fuji goes with 3 batteries. The remaining battery symbol is not very reliable.
Therefore I tend to have one spare with me. I do not use the display on the back. If
I need to chimp I do it in the view finder.

My Nikons are all bulky but any one of them lasts through a day of shooting or a week possibly.

Several thousands of shots. Also with them I do not use the display. I cannot see anything there
Anyway. Need my glasses.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 14:44:43 »
Of course if replacing a battery may ruin the shooting session, a camera with grip is the only way, no matter if DSLR or mirrorless.

I remember when replacing batteries was necessary only twice a year. But then you had to replace film after every 36 shots.. unless of course you had a 250 shot bulk film back  ;)

When I bought my Fuji X-E1 that only have an EVF I was a bit reluctant and did consider the need of having a number of extra batteries charged. I now carry two extra batteries which usually is more than enough for the amount of shots I usually make. Some gear/shooting drains battery faster - e.g. when I use my Fuji XF 60 macro intensively - probably due to the design of the focus motor in this type of lens. 

Now it is just routine to carry extra charged batteries. As far as I've read the X-T2 has approx. the same battery life as my X-E1 and I wouldn't mind having the far better EVF of the X-T2 ... even if I have to carry one more battery  :)

Anthony and Mike - thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts!

Mike G

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2016, 15:24:42 »
Thankyou Lars, it is through this and other websites that we are able to share our experiences, tips and tricks to our mutual benefit, and long may it continue!

Also every now and then we may actually post the odd photo. ;D

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2016, 18:17:21 »
Les, I carry a X-T1 + 3 batteries + 3 lenses + 1 polarizer box in a small bag which could not hold my D700 + 2 batteries + 2 lenses. Additional batteries are small and light, no need for a grip if you just want longevity.

Sure, although reviewers have suggested the grip is also essential for balance, particularly when the larger lenses, such as the 100-400, are attached.  Fuji agrees: the website shows the camera only with the battery grip when the 40-150 and the 100-400 are attached and says that with those lenses "Add the Vertical Power Booster Grip to the body to hold the camera more comfortably" (http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n160707_01.html). 

The point is to compare weights and costs at roughly equal performance.  Even without the grip, two batteries for the XT2 weigh 150g - which makes the XT2 less than 20g lighter than the D7200 when both have power for 1000 shots.  And those batteries cost $68 each, which is not a lot, but for the same dollars B&H will sell you a pristine used 35mm f/1.8 DX for your D7200. 

stenrasmussen

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2016, 18:49:13 »
I actually think that discussing 100-300g of weight differences is irrelevant unless one has very specific needs.
Also, as mirrorless has matured we see an increase in size, particularly on the lens side.
That leaves us with the issue of mirror/no-mirror (OVF/EVF) and AF performance.
It eventually boils down to what animal is pulling your cart.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2016, 18:58:15 »

I've used some mirrorless cameras like Panasonic G1, GH2, GX8, Sony NEX-5N/R/T and Olympus EM5 MkII.  My impression is that the mirrorless cameras use roughly twice or three times as much battery power as DSLRs do (I've used D2H, D7000, D610, D750, Canon 5D MkIII), and Sony was the worst in this regard.

I'm not professional, and I've never had my mirrorless cameras without at least a spare battery, whereas I've never been in need of a second battery for my DSLRs.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2016, 18:58:35 »
Virtually any mirrorless camera, or small-sized DSLR, would benefit from having more weight. The heft makes handling more secure and comfortable.

If a grip is required to get a better weight distribution, so be it. Human digits are not possible to downsize anyway. Thus too small a camera makes handling it awkward.

I second Akira's experience regarding battery consumption. All mirrorless devices used by me over the years, whether Olympus, Panasonic, or Sony, have had a voracious appetite for battery power. Again, Sony was the most hungry for power. My late Sony A7 easily went through two batteries per day. The makers should really address these issues instead of ever slimming down their cameras.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2016, 19:18:04 »
When I shot for long periods as some PR events and used a Nikon FE2 I'd have a sore, red indent in my right little finger. That finger didn't fit on the face of the camera due to the camera size. The MD-12 motor fixed that problem.

Mass = Inertia: it's harder to hold a light camera steady than a medium weight one.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2016, 19:43:18 »
Well, we are now back to the endless debate of mirrorless vs slr. No one is right or wrong, it is all a matter of preference. It is great to have the choice, and it also great that most of us obviously do not regret the ones they made. I certainly am satisfied.
Back to the X-T2 now!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2016, 19:57:53 »
Well, we are now back to the endless debate of mirrorless vs slr. ....

Nope. We express a call for sufficient weight (and size for handling), nothing else. Applies to any format or platform.