Author Topic: Fuji X-T2 first impressions.  (Read 29897 times)

Mike G

Re: Fuji X-T2 first impressions.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 14:02:55 »
It might happen that the observations will come in small bites over time as you know it's early days yet. Anthony has summed up the the camera admirably for initial impressions!

And for goodness sake let's not get into the false argument of "my sensor is bigger than your sensor"

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 14:57:40 »
Hi,

how fast "feels" it compared to a D7xxx? Tried X E1 and T1 and it felt very(!) slow...

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 20:24:59 »
Hi,

how fast "feels" it compared to a D7xxx? Tried X E1 and T1 and it felt very(!) slow...

Harald
My XE-1 is glacially slow.  Reminiscent of an SX-70 in many situations.  I've been waiting to see what Fujifilm can do to speed up the cameras.  The XT-1 was a definite improvement;  maybe the T2 will make it even better.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 20:30:08 »
Hi,

Harald
I have not tried a D7xxx, sorry.
Anthony Macaulay

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 21:17:17 »
Hi Anthony,

any other Body to compared? I just mean "working speed" not Things like Autofocus. ;)

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 13:52:42 »
Harald, I also have the D3s and the D800.

I have just run a quick test of the X-T2 and the D800.  My impression is that in some circumstances the D800 has slightly faster AF.  It also powers up slightly faster (but the X-T2 is not slow).  Overall working speed is similar, with much depending on familiarity with the controls.

I regard the D800 as a very fast camera.  I have made a lot of good action shots with it, including BiFs.  I am confident that  I will get a lot of good action shots with the X-T2.  I will take it on my upcoming wildlife trip and leave the Nikons behind.

Please do not regard my comments as the end of the story.  I am sure there are others who are far more expert who will have more scientifically valid views than my quick efforts.
Anthony Macaulay

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 15:10:18 »
Hi,

waiting for your practical experience. :)

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

Mike G

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 16:38:46 »
Anthony, I would be interested in which lenses you are going to take with you to Easr Africa? I imagine the 100-400mm will be one!

Cheers Mike

stenrasmussen

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 16:45:32 »
Anthony, I would be interested in which lenses you are going to take with you to Easr Africa? I imagine the 100-400mm will be one!

Cheers Mike

Yes, I think Anthony mentioned the 100-400 and also the 18-55. Each with their own camera attached.

Mike G

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 17:28:06 »
Sten, now you mention it I think he did tell me something like that.

Alex Cejka

• NG Member
  • South Ontario, Canada
    • Alex Cejka Photography
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 19:51:41 »
Anthony, thank you for the mini review. I have seen other reviewers saying that the grip (Vertical Power Booster) is a must. That however makes the camera as bulky as a smaller DSLR and defeat the purpose of getting more portable but capable camera for me. What is your take on this?
Also I would like to hear how is the AF/high ISO performing in not so ideal light conditions?

Alex

Mike G

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 20:24:24 »
Alex, I don't think Anthony has his grip yet?

I got one because I had a deal, I suspect it won't get a lot of use, because of as you say the extra bulk, so my take would be the same as yours! I found it reasonably comfortable to use, but it does make the camera a lot more awkward. Hope that helps.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 21:03:03 »
Thanks for posting your findings Anthony. Sounds like a massive improvement over the X-T1 which I ended up selling, especially because of the AF speed.

I wonder what has made it so much heavier?
Jørgen Ramskov

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 22:27:21 »
Anthony, thank you for the mini review. I have seen other reviewers saying that the grip (Vertical Power Booster) is a must. That however makes the camera as bulky as a smaller DSLR and defeat the purpose of getting more portable but capable camera for me.

Fujifilm says (http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n160707_01.html) the shots per charge with one battery is 340, and with the grip you can get "up to" 1000 shots per charge - for three 1260 mAh batteries.  That is not a lot - eg, the D7200 uses the EN EL-15 = 1900 mAh and gets 1100 shots per charge.  That, of course, is a consequence of the high power consumption inherent in the mirrorless design. 

The XT2 is only a more portable camera if you can rely on daily access to a power supply.  It is remarkably difficult to find out what the dimensions and/or weight of the power grip are, but based on what I can find out the XT2+power grip is bigger and heavier than a D500 and still gets fewer shots per charge (not to mention being the same price when you buy two extra batteries).

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 10:08:32 »
Well, there's a price to pay for having a good EVF...
Airy Magnien