Author Topic: Fuji X-T2 first impressions.  (Read 29915 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Fuji X-T2 first impressions.
« on: September 15, 2016, 00:30:33 »
I think this camera will be a game changer for Fuji, as the D3 was for Nikon.

It looks very similar to the X-T1, but is in reality very different.  There are many changes, some large and some subtle, and I am sure I have still not found them all.

My immediate impressions of the image quality of the new sensor are that it is excellent, but I need to do more testing.

The first thing I noticed is that the is much more responsive.  The AF is fast and precise, something where the X-T1 was weak.  With AFC the viewfinder snaps straight into focus, with none of the pulsing which made it unusable for me in the X-T1.

The viewfinder is even better than the previous model, which was always a strength.  More importantly, the refresh rate is much faster, even in standard mode (I have not yet tried Boost mode, as this works best with the grip which has not yet arrived for me).  Tracking moving objects at 8fps in AFC is now easy - in the case of the X-T1, I felt I was always playing catch-up.

Fuji has listened to the complaints about the AFL set-up, and it is now possible to decouple AF from the shutter button and use proper, Nikon style, back button focussing.  This can be switched from the AFL button to any of the eight function buttons.  I have set it to the AEL button as recommended by the Fuji rep, as it suits my hand better.

These changes mean that I now feel comfortable with using the camera for action and wildlife, which was not the case with the X-T1.  Now all I want is some more long lenses from Fuji.

The push central button and turn dial system for ISO (and to take the shutter speed button out of A) has gone, and has been replaced by a press to unlock and press to lock button.  So you can have locked down ISO or shutter speed dials, or have them click turn.  This is a big improvement as far as I am concerned.

Focus point selection is by a joystick, which is a huge improvement on the D-Pad.  The buttons on the D-Pad have reverted to being function buttons.

There is a two button press to format the sd card, so no need to go into the menu for this.

There are two sd slots, one for a UHS II card and one for a UHS I card.  The UHS II cards I have (Lexar 300mb/s) are dramatically faster than my fastest UHS I cards, and I recommend UHS II to get the full benefit of the extra capability of the camera.

There is a new centre weighted metering mode, to add to spot, matrix and average.  Unfortunately, in average mode, the control is awkward to move.  As I never use average, this is not a problem for me.

The shutter button release is threaded for a standard cable release.

The battery can be charged in camera through a USB cable plugged into a computer.

The menus have been significantly rearranged and are now much more logical.

All in all, I would say that Fuji have responded to user comments, and have changed what needed to be changed while mostly not changing what was fine.

The camera is well thought out and is a pleasure to use.
Anthony Macaulay

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Fuji X-T2 first impressions.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 00:58:59 »
Anthony, thank you for the extensive summary of the XT-2!
What a treat!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 01:02:44 »
Anthony, thank you for documenting your opinion, very valuable , specially since you use the Nikon dslrs and the xt1
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Mike G

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 08:40:46 »
I will echo Anthony's thoughts. Anthony as I said on FotoZones both card slots are UHS II slots, whereas the X-Pro2 only one slot is UHS II and the number 2 slot is UHSI.

When unpacking the X-T2 I thought that something was missing as it felt very light and I'm used to an X-T1, amazing.

The remote iPhone app works well with WIFI but it does blackout the EVF and LCD. A t first I thought thats no good, but of course you don't need them if you are working remotely,

The push on push off dial locks are super and a vast improvement.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 08:42:38 »
Thanks, Mike you are correct, both card slots are UHS II.  I blame the fact that I was writing too late at night and was too lazy to check something.

The X-T2 is heavier than the X-T1, 507 gm with battery and card as opposed to 440 gm.
Anthony Macaulay

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 08:50:00 »
All in all, I would say that Fuji have responded to user comments, and have changed what needed to be changed while mostly not changing what was fine.

I think this is the greatest difference between the "old" giants, represented by nikon and canon, and the emerging future, represented by olympus and fujifilm. Their ability to listen and act upon the advice of their users. Their ongoing improvement of their product line thru firmware updates is another example. Their lens line up is also almost complete. Remind me why I use nikon gear again? ;)

stenrasmussen

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:58:29 »
Thanks for the summary Anthony.
As I mentioned yesterday the joystick and the bevelled edge below the rear command wheel are great improvements ergonomically.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 09:20:32 »
Remind me why I use nikon gear again? ;)

Because the size of the format matters?

Dave

Your Nikon is an FX model isn't it?
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 09:41:58 »
I have all the Nikon stuff and I am too lazy to change.

But I stay away from my camera shop because the Xpro2 felt so perfect in my hands that I did not want to let it go. Very hard to leave the beauty in tge shop.

Plus I love the way these all metal Fuji lenses feel. Very tempting. The 1.2/56 and the 1.4/23. All very tempting.

Yet another classy body with the Xt2. Even have to stay further away from the shop.

Thank you Anthony for the write up!!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 09:48:15 »
No GPS? A deal-breaker for me. Otherwise, the camera sounds lovely and I certainly will give it a go-over.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 10:49:34 »
Geotagging is available by wireless connection to a smartphone with GPS.  I was not impressed by the X-T1's wireless implementation, and I have not yet tested that in the X-T2.

The LCD screen now tilts vertically and horizontally.  There is no pivot, and the screen seems well supported.  I was surprised how useful I found the tilting screen in the X-T1, and this should be even more useful.

Paradoxically, the more I use the tilting screen, the  less useful is back button focussing, because the more the camera is moved from being level with the eye, the harder it is to operate both the back button and the shutter button together.

The AEL and AFL buttons could be more prominent.  I may add some Sugru to deal with this.
Anthony Macaulay

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 11:31:43 »
Thanks for the write up! Looks like a really fine tool ;)
Erik Lund

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 12:27:57 »
Thank you Anthony!
You have addressed many of the things I was curious about the X-T2.
Even though I was already almost sure I would buy one, now that intention has become stronger.

Looking forward to a more in-depth review when you have had more time and experience with it.
Simone Tomasi

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 13:02:55 »
Maybe it's a regional or cultural thing, but I've always felt that although Nikon's response may not be immediate, they do react to customer feedback and usually take it into account in their designs, if the suggestion is genuine and useful.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 13:07:22 »
Because the size of the format matters?

Dave

Your Nikon is an FX model isn't it?
Ahh. Thank you, thats the reason! ;)