Author Topic: Starlit scenery, anyone ?  (Read 2187 times)

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
Re: Starlit scenery, anyone ?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 21:21:49 »
I read an article this week stating that there is no more non-poluted spot in continental France.
It is likely to be similar in a large chunk of Europe unfortunately.
We now have to creatively incorporate light polution in our pictures, or travel far away (or very high).
What I see in this thread makes me jealous!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 21:37:50 »
Same here (I guess we read the same article). Last striking starry night I experienced was in May 1983, in a military camp in Western France, far away from any significant city. No moonshine, just stars, including the Milky Way in full bloom, and... thousands of toads "singing" aloud, which is much more noisy than cicadas.
By that time, I had no camera, just a rifle.
Airy Magnien

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 21:56:58 »
You could still shoot...

I think the article was in "le Monde", can't find it now...

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 22:55:19 »
You could still shoot...

I think the article was in "le Monde", can't find it now...

The rifle efficiency range would not exceed 800m, missing a few lightyears...
Airy Magnien

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 09:51:57 »
I was on fieldwork in Western Australia in August, in the Hamersley Ranges.  As long as you camp away from the few small towns (Tom Price, Paraburdoo, Newman) the night sky is very dark and the cool winter air is clear and still.  Knowing the moon would set early the first few nights I took a tripod and star tracking mount, and enjoyed photographing the Milky Way.  For this thread, here's a photo of Joffre Gorge in Karajini National Park illuminated by a nearly-full moon.  It's a composite of one stationary frame (60 sec) and one in which I tracked the stars.  Hardly necessary for the 16 mm view, especially when downsized for posting.  The stars do trail noticeably on the stationary shot when viewed full-size, however, so worth the extra effort. The Milky Way reaches the horizon at the left-hand edge of the photo.
(16 mm f/3.5; 60 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600, frame showing the gorge pushed about a stop in processing).

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 15:05:48 »
beautiful moonlit landscape
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 16:05:27 »
Thanks Armando, it was nice to see the orange-red of the rock, deep blue sky, white eucalypt tree trunks and pale green of the spinifex grass, which make sunlit photos of this area so distinctive, appear in this photo under moonlight.  Except for the deep blue of the sky, the colours were not really visible to my eyes under moonlight illumination while taking it.  Moonlight was bright enough to easily follow a path to the edge of the gorge, find a nice flat rock, and set up camera and tripod.  No need for a flashlight.

Cheers,  John

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 04:54:51 »
I read an article this week stating that there is no more non-poluted spot in continental France.
It is likely to be similar in a large chunk of Europe unfortunately.
We now have to creatively incorporate light polution in our pictures, or travel far away (or very high).
What I see in this thread makes me jealous!

I have seen some spectacular time-lapse nightscapes at Vimeo that were taken in the Canary Islands.  That sounds like a reasonable place to travel to from western Europe.  Alternately, perhaps the northern tip of Norway or Scotland?