Author Topic: Mains  (Read 2853 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Mains
« on: September 09, 2016, 08:04:12 »
While doing 8 hours of product shots on batteries Wendesday I discovered, that neither the D600 nor the D500 have a direct connector to the power grid like my D3 and even the humble D70 had.

The "modern" connectors to the mains are indirect through a battery dummy. The space where the connector was is now occupied by video-sound and GPS connectors.

I remember it was a good feeling of security to plug the cameras to the wall in the morning and continue shooting until they heated up to much, which usually was a good time to have a pause myself.

How do you feel about the fact that Nikon "lost" the mains connector?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Mains
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 20:25:47 »
After aquiring my first D7000 (the model was then about 18 months old I believe), I tried to purchase the "adapter"/replacement battery.

At that time, it seemed like nobody in South Africa stocked it, or even knew what it was.

However, while I probably don't take as many photos as you do, I have never managed to flatten more than two batteries in a single day. And I currently have four.

IF I don't use the LCD much, I have achieved over very nearly 2000 photos on a battery, which I think is quite remarkable.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 01:15:31 »
Unless it's really necessary it best to only use about 50% of a battery before recharging. This will prolong the life of one's batteries. This applies to NiCD as well as lithium-ion batteries. YMWV!

Dave

Your Milage Will Vary!
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:15:32 »
How do you feel about the fact that Nikon "lost" the mains connector?

But the cameras didn't loose the ability to plug into AC power, they just do it differently than they did in the past.

Welcome to the future. 

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 03:22:23 »
Unless it's really necessary it best to only use about 50% of a battery before recharging. This will prolong the life of one's batteries. This applies to NiCD as well as lithium-ion batteries. YMWV!

Dave

Your Milage Will Vary!

I've been draining and charging Nikon batteries with zero regard to what might be best for the battery since 2005 or so. So far all batteries dating back to the D70 are still going strong. Not to say that your logic is flawed, just that in my experience Nikon makes rather dependable batteries.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 07:03:12 »
The 50% suggestion seems conservative. In RC modelling we try not to use more than 80% of LiPo batteries.
The Nikon voltage meter in the camera will trigger a low batt warning before the batteries are physically depleted.
Therefore you may just use them until the batt warning comes on. That's what I'm doing since years and the batteries last very long.
Daniel Diggelmann

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 08:51:36 »
It is generally a good idea to replace memory cards and batteries ina moment with few action.
Otherwise one might lose shots in the heat of the moment.

But. I am talking product shots here. In a studio like setting.
For hours and hours. No heat there.

I guess I I vould switch off the display on the back when an
external monitor is operating it would help save batteries
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/