Author Topic: Day trip to westernmost part of Denmark  (Read 837 times)

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
Day trip to westernmost part of Denmark
« on: November 15, 2023, 18:44:00 »
Some images from a late august day trip to the westernmost part of Denmark - Blåvandshuk - a point (huk) at the west coast of Jutland.   

The reef, Horns Rev, in the waters off the coast is an area known for many strandings and shipwrecks over time - on older nautical charts called Dødens Rev (reef of death). Now it is also known for its very large wind farm.

There are many bunkers from WW2 scattered over the west coast - this one, a radar bunker.

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
Re: Day trip to westernmost part of Denmark
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 19:00:20 »
I like those pictures, no 4 is my fav
Thomas Stellwag

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 19:07:18 »
I like those pictures, no 4 is my fav
Many thanks, Thomas!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 01:09:54 »
I can see how the beach of Dødens Rev is shoaling.  I like the somewhat surreal landscape with the unique-looking remnant and the lighthouse.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 09:57:26 »
Very nice pictures depicting the landscape or lack of it  ::) ;D
Erik Lund

Hans_S

• NG Supporter
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 10:14:35 »
I'd like to echo Thomas' sentiment about number 4...the people provide a balance to the sand banks as well as a sense of scale.
But scary weather headed your way :o
Hans Schepers

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 21:48:32 »
Nice pictures I like the 2 from the beach.

knb

• NG Supporter
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 21:57:03 »
Lovely pictures from Horns Rev. I have been numerous times in northern Jutland (Vendsyssel), but not south to this place. But your contribution tells me that I really should consider to change that. Thanks for the inspiration.
Kjetil Narum Bakken

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 19:44:38 »
Many thanks to everyone for your comments and my apologies for being very late with a reply. I haven't been active on NG for quite a while. 

I can see how the beach of Dødens Rev is shoaling.  I like the somewhat surreal landscape with the unique-looking remnant and the lighthouse.

Many thanks Akira - I'm glad you like the landscape with the lighthouse and the bunker. I agree - it is a special scenery.             

Very nice pictures depicting the landscape or lack of it  ::) ;D

Many thanks Erik - yes, a special landscape. Luckily the cliffs was a great vantage point to get some nice shots of the ocean :-)   

I'd like to echo Thomas' sentiment about number 4...the people provide a balance to the sand banks as well as a sense of scale.
But scary weather headed your way :o

Many thanks Hans. I agree and it's also one of my favourites. I liked the little girl in red jacket with her shoes in the hands trying to keep up with her family :-)
It was special weather that day and we arrived just after some heavy rain - it did become scary on our way home - I've posted a mobile shot from the car  :o     

Nice pictures I like the 2 from the beach.

Many thanks Bent. I felt a bit lucky to be there late august with weather shifting between rain, sun and clouds - not covered with tourists.

Lovely pictures from Horns Rev. I have been numerous times in northern Jutland (Vendsyssel), but not south to this place. But your contribution tells me that I really should consider to change that. Thanks for the inspiration.

Many thanks Kjetil. I'm glad if my pictures inspires you to visit. Blåvand is the northernmost part of the Wadden Sea and if you should decide to visit, then be aware that further south there is a lot more of the Wadden Sea to explore:  https://eng.nationalparkvadehavet.dk/     

Also be aware of the large WW2 Tirpitz bunker museum not far from Blåvand lighthouse - if that interests you and you don't mind many visitors :-)   

Northern Jutland is on my list to visit - especially Thy and Mors in the south part of Vendsyssel.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hans: a mobile shot from the car heading home not far from Blåvand. Bad weather ahead - shortly after very heavy rain, thunder and lightnings. We almost had to stop: