Author Topic: An NG Meet-up to the Orkney Islands in 2017?  (Read 11136 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
An NG Meet-up to the Orkney Islands in 2017?
« on: September 05, 2016, 13:54:02 »
I'm convinced - Dave, ponder an NG Meet-up on these islands ... would be a perfect venue besides being shooting locations and challenges new to most of us.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: An NG Meet-up to the Orkney Islands in 2017?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 14:19:45 »
Year 2017 - what is the best moth for a visit? Remembering the weather we had on isle of Lewis,,,
Erik Lund

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 15:23:22 »
I'm convinced - Dave, ponder an NG Meet-up on these islands ... would be a perfect venue besides being shooting locations and challenges new to most of us.

Year 2017 - what is the best moth for a visit? Remembering the weather we had on isle of Lewis,,,

I was only joking . . . . but I'd love to do it . . . it's possible to fly all the way to the Orkneys and do car-hire locally . . . best months will be May, June, September but the weather will be changeable in any month - not usually prone to long periods of rain such as you got in the Western Isles. Orkney has the finest, most concentrated collection of neolithic monuments in Europe (google Brodgar, Stenness, Gurness, Skara Brae, Maes Howe . . . . and many more sites). Beautiful, tho' gentle landscapes; intensively farmed; wonderful dairy products, meat, fish; the islands are really organised for tourism; extensive network of ferries to all the outer isles . . . . I could go on all day.

I have been 8-10 times to the Orkneys and I love it there; these islands still fascinate me even after all those trips; my big neolithic exhibition last year was largely about Orkney.

Just say the word, boss . . .

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 15:39:46 »
We have the Crete meet-up in April, 32017. Probably better to aim for mid June instead of May?

I'm all in.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 15:57:39 »
The NikonGear Scotland Revisited  ;D I'm in
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 16:05:20 »
We can bring the "Little Fish" - 8 mm f/2.8 Fisheye-Nikkor :D :D

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 16:06:08 »
Yep! The 6mm is gone,,, sadly
Erik Lund

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 16:08:16 »
We have the Crete meet-up in April, 32017. Probably better to aim for mid June instead of May?

My best advice would be late August / early Sept. In June, members might still be suffering from get-together-fatigue, though June is probably the most reliable month, weatherwise. And there will be 20 hours of daylight, similar to southern Norway. But Mayumi and I frequently make trips beginning late August, to Orkney, Shetland (further north). Norway, Iceland, and always do pretty well with the weather.

One obvious difference is that I will not be "on the spot' as I was for Scotland 2016. Most arrangements would need to be made from distance, with perhaps one visit to check out accommodation, etc.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 16:12:37 »
The NikonGear Scotland Revisited  ;D I'm in

That's three of us, then.   ;D ;D

We can bring the "Little Fish" - 8 mm f/2.8 Fisheye-Nikkor :D :D

and I now have the 8mm Sigma (Like Chris)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 16:17:15 »
August could conflict with the schedule of those going to the US for the Total Eclipse?

Oh well, I have had my lifetime share of eclipses, so no problem end of August here for me. As long as we are away from the tourist herds all is just fine.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 16:22:17 »
let's stay a little loose about the date; June has plusses as well as minusses. There WILL be tourists around whenever we go; but June and Sept avoid the worst.

Check out -

http://www.groupaccommodation.com/properties/woodwick-mill-kirkwall-orkney-scotland

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 20:33:25 »
I'm in.  Lets fix it for the best weather prospects (and not getting in the way of Crete).
Anthony Macaulay

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 21:22:44 »
I'd love to visit the Isle of Skye again.

It is so versatile and I guess much cheaper than the more remote
Orkneys. Also a 5 day Inner Hebrides, 5 day Outer seems a great
option...

Are alternatives to Orkney still considered?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 22:09:16 »

Are alternatives to Orkney still considered?
Why alternatives?

Why not additions?
Anthony Macaulay

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 15:32:27 »
If there is a desire among members to return to Scotland I would be delighted, and will help in any way I can. Orkney, Skye and the Inner/Outer Hebrides could all provide a superb experience, though all three possibilities are very different from each other.

What I don't want is to get involved in an "a is better than b is better than c" type argument. All three locations are wonderful in the right weather; I have been to them all, many times; I know them all well, and I love them equally. There are three things which have to be decided - do we want to have a second event here? where? and when? I'll try to give whatever information I can, to help members decide, but I'm not going to enter the discussion/argument myself - I'll go along with the group decision and will help to organise the event, wherever that might be.

The May 2016 event was so good, maybe it will be difficult to match. Expectations will be high, and any attempt to have a re-run might not work too well. Just a thought.