Author Topic: Total Solar Eclipse, U.S.A., 21 August 2017  (Read 1442 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Re: Total Solar Eclipse, U.S.A., 21 August 2017
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 01:48:58 »
Thanks, pluton.  The fellow in question merely suffered some effects on his lenses that are correctable with glasses, but obviously the consequences could be far worse.

My biggest concern is vibration from the D800. 

Excellent point.  Despite all my mental preparations I haven't figured out all the contradictions in my plans yet.  Here I am using a remote control with mirror up and EFC with my D810 to minimize vibrations, but I forgot to check if the internal auto bracketing or the external software I got would allow all these to be used together.  Time for more research!

There is definitely value in bouncing ideas back and forth like this.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Melbourne, Australia (at the moment)
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 02:30:37 »
Bill, I will be interested in your choice of equatorial mount to support the weight of a 1600mm scope and digital camera, as I am looking to get into astrophotography over the next year or so.

From my readings to date, the cheaper mounts can be a frustrating waste of time and money and the good ones look to be seriously expensive.

Good points, pluton!

I hope to have a 1600mm scope on an equatorial mount with a smaller scope riding piggyback, both with cameras. 

Hugh Gunn

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 06:14:10 »
Bill, I will be interested in your choice of equatorial mount to support the weight of a 1600mm scope and digital camera, as I am looking to get into astrophotography over the next year or so.

From my readings to date, the cheaper mounts can be a frustrating waste of time and money and the good ones look to be seriously expensive.

Hugh, that's what I've heard.  I actually have the mount but have not tried it out yet.  It's a Losmandy GM8.  The Losmandy G11 has twice the capacity but it's even more expensive and the components are very heavy.  I'm a rank amateur at this and I'm trying to not bite off too much at once.

Sometime in late October I'll have time to set aside a day to learn the basics of the mount, after which I need to start testing the scope and mount on the moon.  Living in California, I  can do testing all winter except during cloudy periods.  The main scope is a reflector made of carbon fiber (for reduced thermal expansion/contraction) and weighs 7.4 kg. 

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 08:38:41 »
As far as I can determine with some playing around with the D800, the built-in intervalometer can shoot with bracketing, but not mirror-up. External controls, like Camranger, may have similar limitations due to the camera's control logic, but I still need to fully investigate that possibility.  I most need a better/faster operating/more recent small Fuji APSC camera, so that's my thinking at the moment.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

JCDowdy

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 22:47:01 »
Here is a nice website for good viewing locations: http://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

Since I live near Memphis TN (~95% totality) I am considering a drive up to Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/ near Hopkinsville KY since I have not visited there in many years.  Perhaps just a run up I-40 to somewhere around Nashville TN might do if I don't have that much free time.
John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 17:57:59 »
The eclipse can be seen from any place with a view of the sky: the roadside turnout or a Walmart parking lot.  It's a no-brainer to go, if you live that close to the zone of totality.  The nice thing is that it's so far in the future that it's easy to plan for.
You are lucky; I have to go about 900 miles to the closest possible viewing location.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA