Author Topic: 135mm f/3.5 Ai  (Read 13121 times)

rolubich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: 135mm f/3.5 Ai
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 01:01:39 »
There are two Nikkor-Q 135/3.5 versions:

The first was one of the original lenses released with the Nikon F in 1959. The optics of this lens were taken directly from the rangefinder version so the optical design goes back to 1950. Early production lenses have 9 aperture blades and the focal length is marked 13.5cm, later changing to 6 aperture blades and 135mm. I don't know much about the performance of this version, it seems to be fairly good, Nikon was certainly happy enough to keep the same optics going in one form or another form for 20 years.

In 1969 the lens was updated. It remains a 4/3 design with a similar arrangement, but is an all-new design and not a modification of the old one.

Here (third picture) there are the optical designs of the two 135mm f/3.5 Q versions:

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/TEST_Nikkor_lenses_@_135mm/00_pag.htm

Actually lenses thickness and curvature are quite different.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 05:50:33 »

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 05:52:34 »
I had a 135/3.5 AI-S for several years and it was a great lens, but I found the contrast to not be so great at times and it really didn't like being pointed near to or at the sun. 

this seems to be the common weakness of this series :o :o :o
i find that to be true on the Nikkor-Q but the Ai one showed better resistance to veiling flare.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 05:58:14 »

The first was one of the original lenses released with the Nikon F in 1959. The optics of this lens were taken directly from the rangefinder version so the optical design goes back to 1950. Early production lenses have 9 aperture blades and the focal length is marked 13.5cm, later changing to 6 aperture blades and 135mm. I don't know much about the performance of this version, it seems to be fairly good, Nikon was certainly happy enough to keep the same optics going in one form or another form for 20 years.

Hi, Roland! this is my 135mm junk bros..

wow, this is indeed a very long-lived design :o :o :o

by the way, your super useful site did not mention the change in element groupings, just something small that I noticed.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 09:11:37 »
Oh, but it does! Go to the "Specifications" page, or the "Lenses" page (which combines serial/specs/accessories) and you will see the optical construction in elements/groups. Maybe I should also add it to the serial number page??

Of course the number alone is not sufficient to distinguish the two Nikkor-Q 135/3.5 lenses, both are 4/3. But if you read the text at the top of each page you will see: "Versions with the same optical design are grouped together." Perhaps I should add that thick grey lines separate lenses with different optical design, so you can very quickly see which models have the same optics (thinner grey line indicates the optics are basically the same, but have been "tweaked" to improve performance)

Nice little set you have there, you can easily see how the AI is smaller, in spite of having a built-in hood and focusing closer. You can also see the distance between infinity and the 20m mark is a little closer on the AI version, which shows the focus throw is shorter, but not my much.

I really should use my 135/3.5 lenses more often, I generally grab my 75-150/3.5 which is a much more flexible lens...

Roland Vink

• NG Member
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 09:17:52 »
thank you for the nice link. it is in italian but it's still helpful :o :o :o
Chrome automatically translates it, does quite a good job.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 14:37:41 »
... Maybe I should also add it to the serial number page??...

No need to change the layout, everybody knows there are multiple pages - Keep the simplicity as is ;)
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 07:14:53 »
Oh, but it does! Go to the "Specifications" page, or the "Lenses" page (which combines serial/specs/accessories) and you will see the optical construction in elements/groups. Maybe I should also add it to the serial number page??

oh, i was not implying that :o :o :o
it's just that some of the descriptions on the serial numbers page have the corresponding optical formula and some do not.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 22:32:43 »
The only optical information on the serial number page (besides the grouping by optical design) are a handful of short comments, such as for the 200/5.6 medical: "same optics as Nikkor-Q 20cm"; and rangefinder Nikkor-O 2.1cm: "same optics as F-mount version".

I probably should also add:
- Nikkor-T 10.5/4 shares same optics for rangefinder and F-mount versions
- F-mount Nikkor-Q 13.5cm has same optics from the rangefinder version
- F-mount Nikkor-P 10.5cm/2.5 optics are based on the rangefinder version
- Maybe also note where Xenotar 105/2.5 begins etc

Is that the sort of detail you would like to see? I'm all for adding more to the page as long as it is useful and fits within the space provided.
I have also considered making the pages fixed width rather than expanding to 100% width - thought it might make them more readable when viewing on smaller screens (phones, tablets) - the layout would stay the same instead of becoming very squashed, although you would have to scroll sideways instead :o

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 01:08:30 »
It'd be neato, but not essential, to have the lens design diagrams for the lenses in a click-to link the same way the product photos show up.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 01:30:27 »
Is that the sort of detail you would like to see? I'm all for adding more to the page as long as it is useful and fits within the space provided.

not really. it's just that the bit about the 135 was forgotten. :o :o :o the site is fine as it is.
i think i have some lenses that are off your S/N chart. i forgot which ones.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 02:23:33 »
Roland, I appreciate your effort and will to better your website.  But I, for one, don't think any additional column for your database would be necessary.

The detailed info on the individual lenses can be obtained elsewhere, if one will (some lens names are already linked to such websites).  The serial numbers are what make your website unique, and the current additional info in the "Notes" column are good enough to make the difference of the versions clear.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Geoff

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 17:33:45 »
In my experience this is likely the most under-rated lens among the old MF Nikkors.  It has also long been by far the cheapest Nikkor lens available on the used market in my area.  I have several early (pre-AI ring kit convertible) versions that I treasure for their resolution and contrast.  These early versions seem to be the best of the bunch, but any of them will do you well.   Mine easily out-perform anything else in that focal range (including the 105's of various kinds).  Enjoy.