Author Topic: Do you do projects?  (Read 3089 times)

Jyda

• NG Member
  • Enjoy
    • My photography page
Do you do projects?
« on: August 25, 2016, 13:51:17 »
I'm interested in hearing if you have personal projects and how you approach them. By a project I mean something limitied in scope, be it by subject, geographical location, theme, or something else. It should probably also have a predefined goal and maybe an imposed time limit. Thus it is not just a general theme, ie "Photographing flowers" or "Travel images". Just in my opinion of course.
Johnny Dahlén

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Do you do projects?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 15:27:03 »
Many projects, but this is one   as a topic  theme here . There is not really a time-limit connected to it. I find 'time'  usually unimportant unless there is a kind of deadline.  Location: Regte Heide

Jyda

• NG Member
  • Enjoy
    • My photography page
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 09:16:51 »
An interesting project, John! Did you envision it as a project from the beginning or is it something that has evolved into a project?

The reason I suggested a time limit is more for my own sake. I've just begun a couple of small projects, never having done so before, and want to include the whole chain from start to final presentation in the planning of them. I know if I don't limit the scope, I'll never finish. :)
Johnny Dahlén

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 13:29:43 »
Yes, I do work on a project. The time is limited (and running out)

I want to make a series of photographs that will form a short story featuring a hedgehog plushy

This hedgehog will be our firstborns first plushy/toy and as such the project should be done by the time she will be born, which is in about 8 weeks :)
Buddy

Jyda

• NG Member
  • Enjoy
    • My photography page
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 18:31:26 »
That sounds like a fun project. I'm sure your kid will appreciate in the future. Having a child takes care of most projects for the next couple of years. :)
Johnny Dahlén

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 19:57:27 »
I have 2 projects lined up - for the past 8 years at least. I think I have done almost nothing about it though - but I still am adamant that I will one day complete them. This thread is a reminder that I should follow through.....
Maybe I will make a break in the next 12 months. Both are books with specific themes - the one is more viable I think - so I should move my behind and do something about it.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 19:17:41 »
I start projects frequently.

Some even come close to completion, although they are seldom ever really completed. I also tend to have more than one going at any one time, although the last few years I have tried to limit that.

Most of them are not photographic in nature though.

Currently I am busy building an off-road camping trailer. This one has a deadline: it needs to be ready for an (already booked) family camping holiday to Namibia in April next year. Part of this will be a large 4-person roof-top tent I started making a few years ago, and although we have used it a number of times, it is still not quite finished.

My only photographic project to date does not have a deadline though: collecting photos of Southern African bird species. I have been busy for about three years, and currently have around 250 species (out of a possible 1000), so quite a long way to go though.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 19:23:13 »
Wow Peter - thats quite a lot. I have never bothered to count what I have photographed. I tend to ditch the bad ones - even if it is something I dont have in my portfolio. BTW found 2 more today I havent photographed before.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 19:33:41 »
I'm afraid some of mine are hardly identifyable. Hopefully, I will get better shots of those.

This is the inspiration, and it's a pretty tall order:
http://www.warwicktarboton.co.za/Bird%20family%20list.html

Elsa, I would recommend you bookmark this page. I have found it a very valuable aid to identification.

If you want for any reason to develop an (un)healthy green tinge, also have a scratch in his dragonfly gallery...

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 20:03:00 »
An interesting project, John! Did you envision it as a project from the beginning or is it something that has evolved into a project?
Sorry for the late reply. This is something that started off as something else but evolved into a project. Any way around is possible of course  ;)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 20:10:44 »
I'm afraid some of mine are hardly identifyable. Hopefully, I will get better shots of those.

This is the inspiration, and it's a pretty tall order:
http://www.warwicktarboton.co.za/Bird%20family%20list.html

Elsa, I would recommend you bookmark this page. I have found it a very valuable aid to identification.

If you want for any reason to develop an (un)healthy green tinge, also have a scratch in his dragonfly gallery...

OMH - I counted (roughly) about 95 on my list so far