Author Topic: Found a Noct...  (Read 33465 times)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
Re: Found a Noct...
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2016, 18:21:36 »
The 58mm f/1.4 AFS is a slow focusing lens like the other 1.4 G lenses- except the new 105mm which should be very fast by just looking at the design,,,

The 105E has more or less the same speed as the 85/1.4G.
So a little faster but not nearly as fast as eq. 70-200 (every version).
Chris Dees

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 19:48:11 »
Sounds disappointing, Preproduction or end product?
Erik Lund

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 20:07:33 »
Sounds disappointing, Preproduction or end product?

Preproduction.
Chris Dees

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2016, 21:49:06 »
I do not expect
Nikon to exchange the AF technology at this stage. Production models will very likely use the same slow AF motors
Buddy

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2016, 21:51:03 »
My experience with pre-production samples and AF is they are quite similar to the later production samples in terms of AF speed. However, cameras can change a lot from pre- to production level. Thus firmware comes into play here as well.

John Koerner

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 20:41:30 »
I am sure that (at some point within the next year) I am going to pick up a Noct--if, for no other reason, to say I have one :)

What I am most curious about is the difference between the Ai and Ai-S (standardized) version.

According to Roland Vink's page, the main difference seems to be the Ai-Noct only has 7 aperture blades but 230° of focus throw ... whereas the Ai-S Noct. has 9 aperture blades but only 140° of focus throw.

I really don't want to buy both of them (but may, eventually), but I am curious as to which is the better lens ... according to those who have used both.

Jack

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 21:03:32 »
Except for the number of aperture blades, which could cause some differences in bokeh, there is really very little to tell the two models apart. Plus Nocts tend to be used more or less wide open anyway.

John Koerner

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 21:28:08 »
Except for the number of aperture blades, which could cause some differences in bokeh, there is really very little to tell the two models apart. Plus Nocts tend to be used more or less wide open anyway.

Do you find the extra 90° of focus throw in the Ai (230°) an advantage over the Ai-S (only 140°) or a disadvantage?

For MF lenses, I tend to prefer the greater over the lesser ...

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2016, 21:37:34 »
To be honest, I never thought about the difference at all. So I guess it is not a major issue either way. The Noct either is *in* focus, or not.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2016, 21:45:22 »
The build quality is different, the Ai is build like a tank,,, the Ais more lightweight
Erik Lund

John Koerner

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2016, 21:58:07 »
The build quality is different, the Ai is build like a tank,,, the Ais more lightweight

Thanks.

I think I will go for a mint Ai ...

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2016, 22:08:36 »
AI Noct: 480g, AIS Noct: 465g, so a little lighter but not by much. The build is different (most AI and AIS are mechanically different in spite of the similar appearance) but I wouldn't say one is substantially better than the other...

As for the focus throw, I have the AI 55/1.2 which has a similar form factor and long focus throw as the AI Noct, I find the focus throw is a bit too long, very slow to focus from infinity to close. I think 140° of the AIS Noct should be about right (although I agree that many other AIS lenses have too short focus throw)

John Koerner

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 01:18:28 »
AI Noct: 480g, AIS Noct: 465g, so a little lighter but not by much. The build is different (most AI and AIS are mechanically different in spite of the similar appearance) but I wouldn't say one is substantially better than the other...

As for the focus throw, I have the AI 55/1.2 which has a similar form factor and long focus throw as the AI Noct, I find the focus throw is a bit too long, very slow to focus from infinity to close. I think 140° of the AIS Noct should be about right (although I agree that many other AIS lenses have too short focus throw)

Thanks for your feedback, Roland, and thanks also for a great resource in your website. (A lot of work for the benefit of many!)

I still will probably go with the Ai, but maybe not.

I try to use a tripod, as often as possible, with my D810 + MF lenses.

The extra focus throw is always helpful in these instances (though, as you say, not so much if hand-holding).

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 08:27:24 »
The focus threads of the Ai are longer, contact length and area, i.e. there is a world of difference in the mechanical design.
Someone might not think so looking at the weight or at the apparent identical outer lens casing and if a qualified service lubes the lens focus threads they give the Ai a lighter lube and you wont be able to tell the difference in focus drag,,,
Yes same applies to most AI vs Ais lenses of same focal length and aperture I have see open.
Erik Lund

John Koerner

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 14:48:12 »
The focus threads of the Ai are longer, contact length and area, i.e. there is a world of difference in the mechanical design.
Someone might not think so looking at the weight or at the apparent identical outer lens casing and if a qualified service lubes the lens focus threads they give the Ai a lighter lube and you wont be able to tell the difference in focus drag,,,
Yes same applies to most AI vs Ais lenses of same focal length and aperture I have see open.

As someone who's seen the inner architecture, which version would you say is "made better," internally?